• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Zip Confusion!

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Okay so I was always under the impression based on what I was told some time ago that womens clothing had the zipper on the left side and mens had the zipper on the right. This holds true for all of my hoodies but my fleece does not follow this rule, curious about this I checked other items... my Dad has various coats and jackets that zip on the left too.

Why was I told there was some kind of unwritten rule on the zip implying sex of clothing when it doesn't seem to hold true?

Google bring sup information about reasons for zips and buttons being on each side but this doesn't agree with my findings?

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
Okay so I was always under the impression based on what I was told some time ago that womens clothing had the zipper on the left side and mens had the zipper on the right. This holds true for all of my hoodies but my fleece does not follow this rule, curious about this I checked other items... my Dad has various coats and jackets that zip on the left too.

Why was I told there was some kind of unwritten rule on the zip implying sex of clothing when it doesn't seem to hold true?

Google bring sup information about reasons for zips and buttons being on each side but this doesn't agree with my findings?

I thought it was only relevant to trousers and blouses, but not sure how true that is:confused:

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member

IronGiant

I think it was traditionally so, but the advent of unisex clothing has eroded the old principles that we hold dear... :)

Shouldn't you be playing GT5, Iccz ? :D

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I heard it was only relevant to jeans

It definitely applies to hoodies as all of my mens ones are as expected, I know girls ones zip on the other side.

I think it was traditionally so, but the advent of unisex clothing has eroded the old principles that we hold dear... :)

Shouldn't you be playing GT5, Iccz ? :D

B-Spec at the moment :D

Computer drives, I just sit here and watch as he smashes my Lambo into other cars :(

Steven

Senior Moderator
I read the thread title and thought you was signing off the forum for a few days to recover :eek: I did think it odd you would be announcing it publicly :D

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
It definitely applies to hoodies as all of my mens ones are as expected, I know girls ones zip on the other side.

Thats strange all my hoodies have the zip right down the middle.

I call myth busted!

g8tecrasher

Established Member
Clothes I have bought in the states don't follow any rule, the zip just seems to be on whichever side that took their fancy at the time

flat spot

Established Member
I think the reason the buttons are on different sides for girls is that in the olden times the women were dressed by maids etc so would be on the correct side if someone was doing it for you. If that makes sense.
Not sure why zips would be like that. Tradition maybe?
All my North Face gear has the zips on the "wrong" side though, which doesn't make sense.

IronGiant

Is that because they can be used with an inner jacket which zips onto it so the inner needs to be the other (correct) way maybe... ?

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I read that buttons were the other way for women as when wearing a blouse and riding side saddle on a horse the wind would cause problems...

Same also as mentioned above when other people dressed their daughters and it made buttoning etc easier... however for zips I'm confused.

I noticed with most fleeces they're left sided, mine is a Berghaus and I have also seen as mentioned before me North Face do it too, perhaps IG is onto to something there...

jassco

Distinguished Member
I read that buttons were the other way for women as when wearing a blouse and riding side saddle on a horse the wind would cause problems...

Same also as mentioned above when other people dressed their daughters and it made buttoning etc easier... however for zips I'm confused.

I noticed with most fleeces they're left sided, mine is a Berghaus and I have also seen as mentioned before me North Face do it too, perhaps IG is onto to something there...
I've got a raceface cycling jacket with the zip on the wrong side that's wind and waterproof, so definitely not meant to be worn as an inner liner to another jacket

nheather

Distinguished Member
In the UK the zips are on different sides for male and female.

For US the zips are on the Female side.

This is why you can't zip a mens Berghaus fleece into a mens TheNorthFace jacket.

Cheers,

Nigel

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
You should get a Superdry coat. 3 different zips!

All same sided though.

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
And look like every other person in Milton Keynes Shopping Centre? I'd rather not. Superdry is so common now it's unreal.

Yeah, I only seemed to notice that once I got my coat. Still not that common and I dont live in MK so Ill be OK. :D

They should call it Superwarm though, love the coat and its the first time Ive ever spent anything over £30 on a single item of clothing!

spudtator

Prominent Member
I've got 3 Northface jackets. 2 zip on the left, 1 on the right.

g8tecrasher

Established Member
My 2 Nike ACG jackets zip on opposite sides but they can be put together to make one

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
My 2 Nike ACG jackets zip on opposite sides but they can be put together to make one

My mate bought a Nike jacket that he said had zips on the wrong side, so I spent all day saying he had bought a 'girls' one. Complete rubbish, but he was so indignant that I could not help myself. :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom