1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zinwell ProV or Briteview for AE-100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chalkdust, Sep 15, 2003.

1. chalkdust

chalkdust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If anyone has any experience of these two, which is the best value choice given the PJ it will be used with in the pound vs performance stakes. Is it a ProV given the PJ will be used for at least a year with it. Is the jump in quality worth the extra.
    Thanks

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Check the FAQ for links to posts about both of these items - a start, at least.......

Sean G.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A "cheap & cheerful" HCPC (or PC even) will beat either hands down.

Why have milk when you can have cream? :D

Worth trying (even briefly) IMO.

4. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I would say that unless you really do need a standalone TV tuner for the AE100, don't bother with the ProV, the AE100's internal de-interlacer does a much better job - I tried a ProV with mine and wasn't at all happy with it. If you're not going the HTPC route, consider using a VCR composite video out to supply your TV signal to your projector.

5. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer, I'm in the middle of buying an HCPC but I'm worried about the deinterlacing as the reviews of all the software dvd players on Secrets of Home Theatre say that they are flag reading only and don't do motion adaptive.

The brightview is a motion adaptive deinterlacer and fairs better than all the software players on test.

See here.

So in what way is the HCPC better?

To stay slimmer? ;)

Chalkdust, I've not seen the units in action but by specs and reviews the Briteview seems a far better choice.

There are also a couple of iScan pro's for sale in the classifieds here for £225 and £300 which is supposed to be even better although they don't scale.

Cheers,
    Cal.

6. chalkdust

chalkdust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for all the informative replies. Think it is a little clearer now but with a few more variables to add to the equation. Have read excellent things about i-scans, are they completely different beasts to the Zinwell products or just more of the same.

7. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main difference is that the BriteView is also a scaler (it scales up or down the resolution of the signal) of the as well as a deinterlacer (turning interlaced signal into progressive scan). The IScan is only a deinterlacer.

However you'll find that while most budget projectors have pretty good inbuilt scalers, they only have basic deinterlacers (as this is more expensive to do well) making the latter more desirable.

I think the Briteview scales to 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i (the number is the number of vertical lines and p is progressive while i is interlaced).

If your pj does not fall into any of those catagories (mine doesn't as is 960x540) then the pj will still have to do some scaling itself.

The best product for scaling is an HCPC which in most cases (the AE300 is a notable exception) will be able to scale to the exact resolution of the projector ie 1:1 pixel mapping.

A set top scaler is therefore more important for a crt pj.

Therefore you should be more interested in deinterlacing performance with 576p for PAL sources and 480p for NTSC.

The generally accepted pecking order is:

iScanUltra ~ iScan Pro > BrightView (and its clone) >> ProV+ >
    Pro V.

There's other stuff like Lumingen's but unless you have a crt pj we're talking sledgehammers and walnuts.

One reason that the iScan is better is that it does diagonal processing for jaggies on moving diagonal lines. It removes the jaggies by doing something a bit like antialiasing in graphics packages.

8. chalkdust

chalkdust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks calscot, I have a panny AE100 not wealthy enough for a crt, I'll keep an eye out for one of your recs.
    cheers

9. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I believe ATI PC graphics cards are supposed to have excellent de-interlacing.

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm only just in the processing setting up my AE300 but from what I've only read on the subject even though 1:1 mapping isn't possible one can get as near as dammit and get excellent results even so.

Surely de-interlacing is done by the software not the graphics card?

11. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ATI cards support "adaptive" de-interlacing in hardware, which is supposed to be superior. I don't know if you need the ATI DVD player software to utilize this.