Question Zidoo Z9X or Nvidia Shield Pro

andyfr

On my previous thread I got some very helpful suggestions as to which media player I should get to replace my Mede8er MED600X3D. As I use a portable USB hard drive it was pointed out to me that any replacement needs to have a USB 3.0 input in order to power the drive. I have looked at the various suggestions and a few others which cropped up whilst browsing the web and have narrowed it down to the Zidoo Z9X or Dune HD Pro 4K II.

We don’t subscribe to any streaming services and the new Panasonic TX-55HZ1000B TV we got just before Christmas has plenty of options for catch up channels so I just need a media player, having said that I want a decent one with a good reputation and support. I realise that the Dune is £100 more expensive but is it worth the extra or would I be paying for features I don’t need? Is the Dune more reliable than the Zidoo, does it have better support and is it more highly regarded?

Is there another option in the same price range I should consider instead. The Nvidia Shield Pro has been recommended but I don't like the look of it, I prefer a more traditional looking shape. After having a closer look it's not as bad as I first thought. I had seen photos where it was in a stand, I thought it had to be in a stand.

So now it's really between the Zidoo and the Nvidia Shield Pro.

Last edited:

Martos

I was in a similar dilema and ended up going for the Z9X, i've only had it for a few days, but it's working great streaming from my NAS. I couldnt see anything in the Dune that was worth the extra money.

andyfr

I was in a similar dilema and ended up going for the Z9X, i've only had it for a few days, but it's working great streaming from my NAS. I couldnt see anything in the Dune that was worth the extra money.
Hi Martos

That's good to know. Some of my files have subtitles embedded and I can turn them off on the Mede8er, can you do the same on the Zidoo? I can't stand subtitles, if I want to read I'll get a book! :)

Martos

You can select the subtitle tracks with it. By default they are switched on, but there is a setting to disable them.

andyfr

I'm having a closer look at the Nvidia Shield Pro against the Zidoo and taking the Dune out of the options as it's not worth the extra money for my needs.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom