Zidoo Z1000 Pro Android TV Box Review & Comments

new HT version? Haven't touched my Zidoo in a few days, how do I get it? Or is there an automatic update prompt or something?

NFS is rock solid for me btw, or did it start stuttering after the update for you?

It should be noted that the HT 4.0.76 file is a beta version of the Home Theatre app on the player and isn't a firmware revision. You'd be updating the app and not the player's firmware ;)

Last edited:
Yes I understand that :)

I would be interested to hear from those of you with experience of the Dune box about something.

One of the more notable aspects of the z1000 pro (and I assume other recent Zidoo boxes?) is that they've made a design decision to add lots of features designed to get around issues users might have with HDMI handshaking and other problems. It makes the device initially seem more complicated than it actually is. Just leave 99% of the settings as default and you are good to go.

Does the Dune have a similar design philosophy?

Yes (in short)

Yes (in short)
I was asking because of a recent conversation I had with another member who was trying to decide which machine to buy. Your answer doesn't make his decision any easier lol.

I was asking because of a recent conversation I had with another member who was trying to decide which machine to buy. Your answer doesn't make his decision any easier lol.

The Zidoo interface (on the Z1000 Pro, can’t speak for the models with the different one) is much nicer than the Dune - however, with the Dune you can get into the advanced settings much easier as they’re already activated. You have to setup developer mode on the Zidoo

The Zidoo interface (on the Z1000 Pro, can’t speak for the models with the different one) is much nicer than the Dune - however, with the Dune you can get into the advanced settings much easier as they’re already activated. You have to setup developer mode on the Zidoo
For most users the default Z1000 pro settings are fine minus maybe a tweak like I have to for resolution lock. As for developer mode, the only time I've been into the standard Android menu was when I was having problems. What are you using it for?

For most users the default Z1000 pro settings are fine minus maybe a tweak like I have to for resolution lock. As for developer mode, the only time I've been into the standard Android menu was when I was having problems. What are you using it for?

Only used it to change the network buffer setting when I was having issues with NFS as I posted a while back.

Only used it to change the network buffer setting when I was having issues with NFS as I posted a while back.
So as I said, for the vast majority of users access to that function is totally not needed. It's interesting you mention the NFS issue again. If the issue is as you suggested previously a chipset issue then by definition it should affect everybody which it obviously doesn't.

It's more likely to be an edge case affecting a minority of users networks. It could be that other implementations are better or more complete which is why they work better on your network. But it still sounds like an edge case. Especially when you consider that for some people the problem is SMB and for others its NFS. That's not a justification just a reasonable conclusion.

So as I said, for the vast majority of users access to that function is totally not needed. It's interesting you mention the NFS issue again. If the issue is as you suggested previously a chipset issue then by definition it should affect everybody which it obviously doesn't.

It's more likely to be an edge case affecting a minority of users networks. It could be that other implementations are better or more complete which is why they work better on your network. But it still sounds like an edge case. Especially when you consider that for some people the problem is SMB and for others its NFS. That's not a justification just a reasonable conclusion.

“then by definition it should affect everybody

That’s simply incorrect.

And I only mentioned the NFS issue because you asked why I’d gone into that menu

“then by definition it should affect everybody

That’s simply incorrect.

And I only mentioned the NFS issue because you asked why I’d gone into that menu
The NFS point you made was just a reminder to me of our previous conversation. Nothing more.

My initial wording is probably incorrect. I should have said that I would expect it to affect more people. This is more inline with what I said about edge cases.

With this working with Dolby Vision would my existing 4k disc rips have the DV metadata on them automatically or would I be looking at having to re rip all my discs with the DV data?

With this working with Dolby Vision would my existing 4k disc rips have the DV metadata on them automatically or would I be looking at having to re rip all my discs with the DV data?

Depends - assuming you ripped them with MakeMKV?

If so, the metadata has been there for a number of versions now, however it didn’t always package it correctly in the MKV - but can fix it.

Open the MKV file in MKVToolNix - if you see two video streams, then just reload the MKV file into the latest version of MakeMKV and have it recreate it

Has to be with libmkv 1.15.2 or above. I had to re-rip about 50 odd discs due to this.

Has to be with libmkv 1.15.2 or above. I had to re-rip about 50 odd discs due to this.
Yeah that sounds about right. I used to use DVDFab which I don't fully trust so I re-ripped all my discs using a later version 15 or early version 16. The easiest way to tell is to load the file into MakeMKV. If you see the DV details in brackets after the name in the video section then you are good to go.

Yeah that sounds about right. I used to use DVDFab which I don't fully trust so I re-ripped all my discs using a later version 15 or early version 16. The easiest way to tell is to load the file into MakeMKV. If you see the DV details in brackets after the name in the video section then you are good to go.

That latter part doesn’t work 100% from what I’ve experienced - I found an early DV MKV that hadn’t applied the layer correctly, and when I loaded it into MakeMKV it didn’t do that - just showed the title. Only when I loaded it into MKVToolNix did it show the second video stream.

Can’t talk for DVDFab though as I’ve not used that

That latter part doesn’t work 100% from what I’ve experienced - I found an early DV MKV that hadn’t applied the layer correctly, and when I loaded it into MakeMKV it didn’t do that - just showed the title. Only when I loaded it into MKVToolNix did it show the second video stream.

Can’t talk for DVDFab though as I’ve not used that
That's why I said a later version 15. There early versions had issues which were corrected later on.

Back to the Zidoo.

If I tell the box to go into standby (not shutdown) then the display stays on showing the time I put it into standby (which then never changes) and will never wake up again without me disconnecting from the mains.

Only seems to have happened with the latest firmware, and has the obvious workaround that I can always just set it to fully shutdown -

Anyone else seeing this?

How do I give the Zidoo Z1000 Pro write-permission to an external hard drive? In the File Manager, I highlight a file, click Menu, but options like Delete and Rename are greyed-out.

There is a thread in the official forum for a similar problem, but no solution has been given

Zidoo Z1000 is DOA without the A-B Repeat and Zoom functions. I guess there will never be another player that can completely replace the Oppo.

No worries Steve - the USB switch is in settings btw, not a physical switch. I believe you can set one of the coloured remote buttons to turn it on or off :)
I have just purchased the Z1000Pro. Can someone please tell me where i can find the setting in the menus that allows for output via the USB port to an external DAC? Thanks.

Hi Jimbo - You'll find it in Audio settings, I think lol! I set it yonks ago and have left it on ever since. But go into settings and it's in one of the drop-down lists if you select the correct tab.

Ok, here we go: -

Select settings, after you turn on (cog-wheel on right), select Audio Settings (3rd tab along), select USB Audio (5th selection down) then set your personal settings. I have DSD Mode set to "Native" but it depends on what your DAC will support.

I PM'd you a short time ago btw

Ok, here we go: -

Select settings, after you turn on (cog-wheel on right), select Audio Settings (3rd tab along), select USB Audio (5th selection down) then set your personal settings. I have DSD Mode set to "Native" but it depends on what your DAC will support.

I PM'd you a short time ago btw
Thanks Rozel :). The Z1000 is now working ok via USB to my Audio-GD R27 R2R Dac/pre/Head-amp. The Z1000 is also connected via HDMI to my Trinnov AV processor.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom