Zidoo Z1000 Pro Android TV Box Review & Comments

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Tried connecting it to my WiFi network today. Hadn't previously bothered and i"m using a wired connection, but thought I'd check on how it performs. The box sees my router, but no matter how many times I've tried, it doesn't connect. The setting just stays at the connecting stage for as long as you leave it.

Oh no, it's eaten my other leg :(

Did you try full power off-on cycle?

Coulson

Suspended
1. Build quality is definitely better than my Panasonic UB820 player and my cute little Vero4K+.

2. DV MKV playback is looking very good. Plays both MEL + FEL. This is the USP of this player. If you don't care about this feature then its an easy pass.

3. Poster Wall is a hit or miss. I am thinking of manually creating the files and placing them in the folders but I am not sure how to do this. Personally I don't care about actor names and all the other faffs. I just want correct poster image, tech specs overview and option to play.

4. Initial audio handshake delay of about 3-5 seconds. This never occurred with the Vero4K+.

5. Inability to display live bit rate information during playback. This is available in Vero4K+.

6. Front panel display stopped working for me. Had to do 2 power off cycles to make it working.

7. Display Auto setting getting disengaged after power off. Had to re-apply after powering on. This happened once and hasn't occurred again.

8. Remote feels clunky and bloated.

Overall it's a good player and is worth owning for DV MKV playback and the HDD tray.
1. Agree with build quality.
2. The new chipset does DV very well.
3. Poster wall works 95% of the time for me with movies. TV shows scraping is completely hit or miss but I've worked out how to fix them all relatively quickly.
4. I only see audio handshake issue when playing full BR rip with menu.
5. No live bit rate is annoying but not a deal breaker for me.
6. Weird.
7. Weird.
8. It is a bit overwhelming. Harmony remote simplifies a lot of the key functionality to a few buttons.

Happy with it overall. TV scraping reminds me of the hours/days spent sorting out Kodi scraping issues. But at least this found at least one documentary that Kodi scraping never, ever found :)

In regards to this, the 2019 Shield TV has been able to do this for some time. If that's all you need then it's a better option - especially as it's cheaper
I like my Shield Pro 2019, but it is nowhere near as good as this as a comprehensive playback device. If it was I wouldn't have kept the z1000 pro. If nothing else Poster Wall is a lot better than Plex or Kodi in terms of speed, scraping (for movies I've had few issues, TV is another matter) and general all round usage.

The more you tinker with H.T.v4 the more on how you can / learn to do things or change that makes your matching easier etc
This ^^^.

Last edited:

Joe C

I like my Shield Pro 2019, but it is nowhere near as good as this as a comprehensive playback device. If it was I wouldn't have kept the z1000 pro. If nothing else Poster Wall is a lot better than Plex or Kodi in terms of speed, scraping (for movies I've had few issues, TV is another matter) and general all round usage.
Could not disagree with you more on this (mostly). It plays everything I have without issue, and, crucially, Plex has correctly scraped circa 4,000 files with 100% accuracy.

If Zidoo can sort that out then I may be back, but for now, the Shield does almost everything I want it to do.

I do agree the Poster Wall was better for films, in that it could identify DV, Atmos, DTS:X etc

dante01

Distinguished Member
8. It is a bit overwhelming. Harmony remote simplifies a lot of the key functionality to a few buttons.

You can basically navigate and do everything using nothing more than the D ring, the menu button and and the back button.

The other buttons do work as expected though.

I do agree the Poster Wall was better for films, in that it could identify DV, Atmos, DTS:X etc
AS far as the poster wall automatically being able to detect anything more than the container format, the fact is it is abysmal. I'm having to edit the file names to add this info to the MKV files on my NAS in order for the info to be shown.

Last edited:

Coulson

Suspended
Could not disagree with you more on this (mostly). It plays everything I have without issue, and, crucially, Plex has correctly scraped circa 4,000 files with 100% accuracy.

If Zidoo can sort that out then I may be back, but for now, the Shield does almost everything I want it to do.

I'm don't doubt. Plex scraping overall is better but as you said, the Shield "mostly" plays everything whereas for me the z1000 pro plays everything. Also as you said PW is better for films.

I'm not saying it's perfect. BR menu playing is still a little buggy and slow. The Oppo currently does this better. It sometimes crashes maybe more than the Shield. But I'm in the testing and experiment phase so that's not surprising. TV scraping is only passable and that's with a lot of help. Kodi/Plex TV scraping accuracy is far better. But PW rescan features are more flexible.

I used my Oppo for multi episode TV show/BR menus because the Shield doesn't do Java. Oppo for "reliable" DV playing (folders/iso). I also preferred it for film watching in general. I could easily replace both my Shield and Oppo with The Z1000 pro.

It's easily my best movie player and now I've sorted out the TV shows it's my best TV shows player as well.

Coulson

Suspended
AS far as the poster wall automatically being able to detect anything more than the container format, the fact is it is abysmal. I'm having to edit the file names to add this info to the MKV files on my NAS in order for the info to be shown.
Agreed that is crappy lol. But I can easily rename my files in bulk on my laptop. Then PW auto detects the source directory change and updates itself within 20 seconds. No manual intervention required.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Agreed that is crappy lol. But I can easily rename my files in bulk on my laptop. Then PW auto detects the source directory change and updates itself within 20 seconds. No manual intervention required.

Yep, agreed and it does scan the library automatically on the fly without any additional intervention.

Coulson

Suspended
Yep, agreed and it does scan the library automatically on the fly without any additional intervention.
I only recently discovered this feature so I was manually scanning the source directories which probably slowed down the whole process lol.

As for the remote issue you mentioned before, my Harmony hub is in a cabinet and the player is outside not in direct line of site and I have no issues. The only issues I had was when I changed the default device power settings within the Harmony app.

Joe C

I'm don't doubt. Plex scraping overall is better but as you said, the Shield "mostly" plays everything whereas for me the z1000 pro plays everything. Also as you said PW is better for films.

I'm not saying it's perfect. BR menu playing is still a little buggy and slow. The Oppo currently does this better. It sometimes crashes maybe more than the Shield. But I'm in the testing and experiment phase so that's not surprising. TV scraping is only passable and that's with a lot of help. Kodi/Plex TV scraping accuracy is far better. But PW rescan features are more flexible.

I used my Oppo for multi episode TV show/BR menus because the Shield doesn't do Java. Oppo for "reliable" DV playing (folders/iso). I also preferred it for film watching in general. I could easily replace both my Shield and Oppo with The Z1000 pro.

It's easily my best movie player and now I've sorted out the TV shows it's my best TV shows player as well.
I did not say the Shield “mostly” plays everything - I quite literally said it plays everything I have.

I said I mostly disagreed with you - the only part I agreed on was the Poster Wall

Coulson

Suspended
I did not say the Shield “mostly” plays everything - I quite literally said it plays everything I have.

I said I mostly disagreed with you - the only part I agreed on was the Poster Wall
Oh OK I understand. I have files the Shield wouldn't play but the z1000 Pro did.

@dante01 I should add in the negative column that there are times where the z1000 Pro switches off then doesn't respond and I have to switch it off physically from the switch at the back. The latest firmware is a Beta and work in progress but the new features are worth the occasional glitch.

Last edited:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Once again the front panel display stopped working. Getting annoying. Wondering if this is a software bug or a faulty unit?

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Once again the front panel display stopped working. Getting annoying. Wondering if this is a software bug or a faulty unit?

Faulty unit Return it .

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Faulty unit Return it .

Thanks.

Will check again by pulling the plug. I always completely power off my gears after using them except my TV which I leave on standby sometimes.

Coulson

Suspended
So after a few weeks here are some notes which will probably be a summary of my comments scattered through this thread.

I love the scanning speed and (when selected) the auto scan on source update. Much, much faster than Kodi scanning.

TV scanning although improved and I have a better understanding is still poor. But it looks like they are concentrating on trying to fix that now.

The latest Beta added Blu-ray menus and it works. But for the most part it is at least as slow as a disc and it is less reliable. Still nice to have though.

This box copies large files across the network faster than any other device on my network.

It has already replaced my Chinoppo. It could easily replace my Shield if I wanted to do that.

Overall I am very happy with this device. The UI is very intuitive and I seem to learn a new feature almost every day. If they left it as it is right now, it is already one of the best movie players. The fact that they are still working to improve it makes me happy I bought one.

Regtastical

So after a few weeks here are some notes which will probably be a summary of my comments scattered through this thread.

I love the scanning speed and (when selected) the auto scan on source update. Much, much faster than Kodi scanning.

TV scanning although improved and I have a better understanding is still poor. But it looks like they are concentrating on trying to fix that now.

The latest Beta added Blu-ray menus and it works. But for the most part it is at least as slow as a disc and it is less reliable. Still nice to have though.

This box copies large files across the network faster than any other device on my network.

It has already replaced my Chinoppo. It could easily replace my Shield if I wanted to do that.

Overall I am very happy with this device. The UI is very intuitive and I seem to learn a new feature almost every day. If they left it as it is right now, it is already one of the best movie players. The fact that they are still working to improve it makes me happy I bought one.

I’ve had mine for a couple of weeks too and I second your thoughts. I love mine, the unit is rock solid looking, fits well into my AV cabinet. A full remote control is great, with backlit keys. It has played all my rips no hassle, getting Atmos and DTSX pass through to my AVR has been superb.

I dont use it for TV shows, just my movies, and it picks them all up. The movie poster wall looks great on the projector.

I’ve put my 4K discs on and compared with it with my rips, I genuinely can’t hear or see a difference.

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Thanks.

Will check again by pulling the plug. I always completely power off my gears after using them except my TV which I leave on standby sometimes.
Leaving on standby or powered off it should not effect display .
sadly yours has a faulty connection / board / display or …..

Not heard of but theres always one not worth opening up unit as will invalidate warranty .
rma it .

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Leaving on standby or powered off it should not effect display .
sadly yours has a faulty connection / board / display or …..

Not heard of but theres always one not worth opening up unit as will invalidate warranty .
rma it .

Ok mate. Emailed Futeko. This is getting a bit annoying.

I am thinking of going back to Vero despite the lack of the Dolby Vision as it has better playback features than this Zidoo. Examples:

1. Ability to show chapter thumbnails during live playback.
2. Ability to display live bitrate information during playback
3. Much better remote.
4. Changing aspect ratio on the fly which is not working in the Zidoo. It has no effect.

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Ok mate. Emailed Futeko. This is getting a bit annoying.

I am thinking of going back to Vero despite the lack of the Dolby Vision as it has better playback features than this Zidoo. Examples:

1. Ability to show chapter thumbnails during live playback.
2. Ability to display live bitrate information during playback
3. Much better remote.
4. Changing aspect ratio on the fly which is not working in the Zidoo. It has no effect.

Better Remote ? the Zidoo Remote on its own is circa £39.95
i dont use it .
Live bit rate reading would be nice but the Zidoo does give overall bit rate reading .
thumbnails …..…..

Sometimes you just gotta Enjoy Watching a Movie from start to finish and forget the other stuff .😎😎

JokerJack

Mine randomly came on the other day for the first time since buying it.. the whole screen was lit up though so could see every option. I think it’s software as when booting up you get the hello etc then nothing. Doesn’t bother me to me honest as hidden behind velvet below the projector screen.

Coulson

Suspended
There are a few little usage tweaks and tricks you can use to sort out TV scraping. The problem isn't so bad with MKVs, especially for US shows. But British TV shows backed up from your own discs seem have major issues.

I've been following the Zidoo forums about this issue and in a little almost throw away comment, it turns out that it is better to use The Movie Database for scraping, NOT The TV Database. TMDB has its own issues with some collections but that is easily fixable. So I re-scraped my problem TV files and finally every single Blu-ray, DVD or MKV TV series is correctly scraped. Somehow they've mucked up their TV scraper code because I doubt the issue is with TVDB

Last edited:

mr gothic

hi
how do you rename your files in bulk as i have loads of files in others on the zidoo posterwall even though i have the film title and year in brackets.
cheers

Joe C

hi
how do you rename your files in bulk as i have loads of files in others on the zidoo posterwall even though i have the film title and year in brackets.
cheers

FileBot is great for this

Coulson

Suspended
hi
cheers
For Windows computer there are apps that can do it for you like the one already mentioned. On Apple computers, the feature is part of the standard rename command.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton