Zidoo Z1000 Pro Android TV Box Review & Comments

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Thanks for confirming, up to now every BD menu I have thrown at the Zidoo just worked.
Hopefully this gets resolved in an update :)
I did a bit of reading. Apparently this has been an issue for quite some time. 2018 is said to work but not 2015. It's a pity because my Chinoppo could play it. I'll have to use Kodi if I want to use it.

PascalP

I did a bit of reading. Apparently this has been an issue for quite some time. 2018 is said to work but not 2015. It's a pity because my Chinoppo could play it. I'll have to use Kodi if I want to use it.
Never got a single BD menu to work in Kodi…
I can play the Dolby discs on the Zidoo, just have to start them without BD menu and manually skip through the chapters.

hope they fix it… someday… :p

dante01

Distinguished Member
Never got a single BD menu to work in Kodi…
I can play the Dolby discs on the Zidoo, just have to start them without BD menu and manually skip through the chapters.

hope they fix it… someday… :p

Press the MENU button on the remote during olayback and you should then see some additional options appear to thr left of the screen. Select the BLU-RAY MENU option and you should still get the option to selct chapters even if the title hasn';t a Blu-ray menu include. You can use this to navigate directly to any of the chapters available without having to skip back and forth through the chapters sequentially using the PROGRAM buttons on the remote. The option will even indicate which chapter you are currently at.

by default 2021-06-19 at 10.13.05.png

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Press the MENU button on the remote during olayback and you should then see some additional options appear to thr left of the screen. Select the BLU-RAY MENU option and you should still get the option to selct chapters even if the title hasn';t a Blu-ray menu include. You can use this to navigate directly to any of the chapters available without having to skip back and forth through the chapters sequentially using the PROGRAM buttons on the remote. The option will even indicate which chapter you are currently at.

View attachment 1529816
Good to know. It works but for this particular disc it is extremely clunky, almost to the point of being useless unless you spend some considerable time working out which chapters us which.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I'm sort of getting the impression that the player has issues with it networking? I experience for more instances of picture freezes with this player than I do with any of my other devices able to access the same files over by wired LAN network or my wireless WAN network.

What's with the trailers? I got about three titles that initially played them, but now nothing at all can or will access them or play them?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Replacement remote should be here by 1pm. Fingers crossed.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I'm sort of getting the impression that the player has issues with it networking? I experience for more instances of picture freezes with this player than I do with any of my other devices able to access the same files over by wired LAN network or my wireless WAN network.

What's with the trailers? I got about three titles that initially played them, but now nothing at all can or will access them or play them?
I haven't watched a full show yet so I'm not sure about networking. The trailer links seem to be variable in availability. Some are, some aren't, some are available sometimes. It's a nice bonus but I would rather they concentrate on the core functionality.

PascalP

View attachment 1529816
Yeah this is how I navigate the Dolby Demo discs now ;)
Luckily don’t play them on a daily basis, as said, all other content I have thrown at it just works (minus x264 Hi10p that is…)

sodesfeux

The BDmenu of the demo discs doesn't work or very badly, I too have the last 2 DTS volumes and the last 2 ATMOS demo discs.

I don't want to be negative, but this problem doesn't exist before and everything works normally but for several months now there are problems and despite our feedback to Zidoo, nothing has been done and it doesn't seem to be in their project.

see you

dante01

Distinguished Member
The 6 second delay that is apparent when you press thestandby button to power the unit down is really annoying. I initially though that it wasn't working.

Zigourney

I only use wired LAN on mine, have always on all my previous zidoo devices and have never encountered any issues with lag or freezes even on the test file that are over 100mbps bit rate.

dante01

Distinguished Member
It does something my NAS dislikes. It's Firewall has just put a 24 hour block on the player's IP address.

Nothing else on my network has caused similar issues.

I've a wired gigabit network, running via Cat6 and using gigabit ethernet switches. I don't get freezes via any of the other media playback capable devices I can access the same files via and my rather ancient Mede8er player never exhibited such behaviour either.

PascalP

Are you accessing the NAS via SMB or NFS.
On my Synology with the most recent OS SMBv1 is turned OFF by default, perhaps it is trying to access it via this protocol?
(For me it works fine with both NFS and SMBv3 though)

Coulson

Distinguished Member
It does something my NAS dislikes. It's Firewall has just put a 24 hour block on the player's IP address.

Nothing else on my network has caused similar issues.

I've a wired gigabit network, running via Cat6 and using gigabit ethernet switches. I don't get freezes via any of the other media playback capable devices I can access the same files via and my rather ancient Mede8er player never exhibited such behaviour either.
What do the firewall logs show? The only thing that worries me a little is that the Poster Wall is in regular contact with the internet when you play something. I might need to have a look at that.

Edit:
Ok so Poster Wall ONLY works if you are connected to the Internet. You can still play files directly, but not through PW. This is NOT good!

Last edited:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
DV MKV works. Woohoo.

How to display the bit rate meter fellas?

PascalP

What do the firewall logs show? The only thing that worries me a little is that the Poster Wall is in regular contact with the internet when you play something. I might need to have a look at that.

Edit:
Ok so Poster Wall ONLY works if you are connected to the Internet. You can still play files directly, but not through PW. This is NOT good!
Wait? What? The Zidoo needs to be online all the time if you want Posterwall to work?

sodesfeux

Hello friends,

Did some of you have the opportunity to compare the image of the Zidoo and a DV video file with a bluray player and a dolby vision disc to see if there is a big difference ?

See you soon

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Hello friends,

Did some of you have the opportunity to compare the image of the Zidoo and a DV video file with a bluray player and a dolby vision disc to see if there is a big difference ?

See you soon

I will be doing that soon.

Any way to display bit rate information during playback?

Also I don't see any option to view the chapter list on MKV file?

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Wait? What? The Zidoo needs to be online all the time if you want Posterwall to work?
I hope I'm wrong but I tested by removing my Ethernet cable and it would not find any posters or even start the app. If I'm wrong I would be happy. If not then I'm routing it a different way so cest la vie :)

Hello friends,

See you soon
I compared it to my Oppo clone which is Blu-ray quality and after a brief but very close inspection, I struggled to see any major difference.

sodesfeux

I will do it soon.

Thanks Igans316 :)

Is there a way to display the bitrate information during playback ?

By using the ''ok'' button during playback it seems you have this information ?

I don't see an option to display the chapter list of an MKV file either ?

Good question, I never needed it, I have no idea, sorry.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Thank you very much Coulson, this is important information for me :thumbsup:

there is a debate on homecinema-fr on this subject

See you soon
Well I've done zero measurements so this is purely my subjective opinion. But I figure the Oppo clone has first rate playback. So logically speaking if I can't clearly see a difference I will assume they are on par or at least extremely close.

Plus I would also assume that with decent software and Dolby hardware it would be difficult to go too far wrong for for SDR, HDR and of course Dolby Vision. I'm not including any conversions between the formats.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I will be doing that soon.

Any way to display bit rate information during playback?
I just press OK and it gives me bit rate. But it's not dynamic. I'm sure it's just a calculation from the built in file stats. When looking at the Video Info you get a different bit rate. So neither are dynamic and both are likely not very accurate lol.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I just press OK and it gives me bit rate. But it's not dynamic. I'm sure it's just a calculation from the built in file stats.

I was looking for live bit rate information.

So 2 features that my tiny Vero offers is missing here:

1. Live bit rate information during file.playback
2. Chapter list generation with thumbnails on the fly during playback.

The USP is DV output. Otherwise I don't find anything enticing over the Vero4K.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Loewe confirms return to luxury TV market
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Elipson adds Music Centre Connect HD to Connected range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for October 2021