ZIDOO - Z10 PRO - Z9X - Z1000 PRO - UHD 3000 - NEO A - NEO S - NEO X - Dolby Vision - Owners Thread

Note that the ATV has no HD audio capabilities so if any of you files include HD formatted audio then you'll not be able to access it if using the ATV.

It converts HD audio to PCM so no loss in quality, obviously not bitstream though so will lose DTS:X and Atmos.

Does the ATV not decode the Audio and output as LPCM ?

Yes, Infuse paid version and other apps decode to LPCM without any problem. Of course bitstream would be better for AVR owners, but it is not true that Apple TV does not support HD audio formats.

However, Apple TV has two limitations: it doesn't transmit MaxCLL values properly and it has that unpleasant flickering effect at low black levels. For some unknown reason, Apple has not fixed these bugs for years.

Last edited:
It converts HD audio to PCM so no loss in quality, obviously not bitstream though so will lose DTS:X and Atmos.

No it doesn't. The Apple TV has no ability at all to handle HD formatted audio.

You can get Atmos using Dolby MAT, but only if and when the Atmos metadata is packaged with lossy SD quality DD+ encoded audio. The implementation of Dolby MAT will resault in the Atmos metadata being output in conjunction with multichannel PCM. The PCM data would result from the Apple TV itself decoding the DD+ encoded audio.

It makes for a reasonable streaming box, but t is a poor choice if wanting a media player.

No it doesn't. THe Apple TV has no ability at all to handle HD formatted audio.

You can get Atmos using Dolby MAT, but only if and when the Atmos metadata is paxkaged with lossy SD quality DD+ encoded audio.
Wrong, Infuse decodes DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD. Unless you are only calling Atmos and DTS:X HD audio?

Wrong, Infuse decodes DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD. Unless you are only calling Atmos and DTS:X HD audio?
Yeh that's what i thought as well ?? and outputs it as LPCM

I think we're talking at tangents. Most people would call HD Audio the non lossy formats such as DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD. These can also include Atmos and DTS:X. I think dante is referring to just the Object based versions as HD audio.

Anyway moving on, the Zidoo bitstreams everything so you get the lot ................

Audio Formats
HE-AAC (V1), AAC (up to 320Kb/s), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (up to 320Kb/s), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF and WAV; AC‑3 (Dolby Digital 5.1), E-AC‑3 (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound) and Dolby Atmos

You can force the Apple TV to biitstream DD and DD+ but you'd have to use Dolby MAT is wanting Atmos packaged with DD+. This will result in the ATV outputting the metadata with multichannel PCM.

Apple set the ATV to decode all formats by default, but as said, you can override this. You'd lose the sounds created by the ATV that are sometimes overlayed if forcing it to bitstream though and you'd have to use Dolby MAT if wanting to access Atmos in association with syreaming service.

Last edited:
You're flogging a dead horse and just arguing for the sake of it now. Infuse decodes DTS:HD MA/ True HD on the ATV:

It's been the case for a long time.

The ATV itself doesn't support those formats. You'd be utterly dependant upon Infuse if wanting to access them.

Infuse is a versatile video player app available for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Mac. It can play virtually every video file ever created, and can automatically download metadata and artwork to help you keep your entire video library organized.

What media types are supported?​

Infuse supports all common video files, and many other less common types.

Videos: 3GP, AVI, ASF, BDMV, DIVX, DVD, MEDIA, DVR-MS, FLV, ISO/IMG, M2TS, M4V, MKV, MOV, MP4, MPEG, MTS, MXF, OGM, OGV, TS, VIDEO_TS ,WEBM, WM, VWTV

Audio Tracks (contained within video files): AAC, AC3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, FLAC, MP3, OGG, DOLBY, WMA

Subtitles: DVB, DVDSUB, MICRODVD, MPL2, PGS, SMI, SSA/ASS, SRT, SUB, TIMED TEXT, TMP, TXT, VOBSUB, VTT, XSUB

How to get Pro​

Infuse Pro is available as a subscription (Monthly or Yearly) or as a one-time purchase (Lifetime). All future updates (even major releases like v8, v9, v42, etc…) are included with all in-app purchase options.

Last edited:
It's ok to admit you were wrong ;)

@dante01 Probably best to leave this one mate, the ATV has been capable of unpacking the Lossless PCM streams (decoding) via apps such as Infuse and MrMC for as long as I can remember, the issue being, as @markymiles has stated, that any object based metadata will be lost.

They can also mix in system audio with this.

The ATV will not bitstream DD+ and strictly speaking it doesn't bitstream DD either (untouched passthrough). If you set it to output as DD what actually happens is the ATV will still decode as if it is set to auto (multichannel PCM) it will then repackage back into DD (transcoding if required) complete with any system audio.

The ATV itself doesn't support those formats. You'd be utterly dependant upon Diffuse if wanting to access them.

Well yes, but apps like infuse/MrMC/Plex etc... are the only way to play back UHD rips on the ATV fullstop, there is no "official" support.

Note that the ATV has no HD audio capabilities so if any of you files include HD formatted audio then you'll not be able to access it if using the ATV.

This was where it all went wrong. The ATV like nearly all media players uses apps. Using those apps you can indeed access HD formatted audio. You're just wrong. Move on.

Yeah, best hope Infuse stay on the good side of Apple then. Apple obviously never ever take exception to apps or their developers :)

Regardless, I'd still not suggest using or buying an Apple TV as a media player. It is very limited as such.

Yeah, they've been around for ages so fingers crossed. However there's also MrMC and also Plex? might even be more than that. Was just using infuse as an example as I have it. If you're not interested in object based audio and rip to MKV like most then it'll get the job done for most things.

Anyway we digress, the Zidoo is far better for local rips that's for sure. Not the end of the world I suppose having two boxes...................

That's that sorted then 2 boxes it is then :)

Out of all the options out is there a consensus that the Zidoo Z1000 pro is one of the better boxes to go for

Out of all the options out is there a consensus that the Zidoo Z1000 pro is one of the better boxes to go for
AS a media player yes.

I'm lucky and my TV runs all the streaming apps I use and will give me access to Atmos in association with the services that support it. I simply rely upon ARC from said TV to my AV receiver.

There have been niggles with my Z1000 Pro and there's a steep learning curve due to the lack of any detailed literature, but I'm relatively happy with what I bought :)

Last edited:

If you do not req internal storage
the cheaper Z9X would be the best option
unless you prefer the style look of the Z1000 Pro ?
all will provide the same Pic / Audio Quality etc

Thanks Guys, will also have a look at the Z9X
but i do like the Style of the Z1000 Pro
Can they be both controlled by an App over IP as my rack is located in another room and would need this function or a BT Remote

Thanks Guys, will also have a look at the Z9X
but i do like the Style of the Z1000 Pro
Can they be both controlled by an App over IP as my rack is located in another room and would need this function or a BT Remote

There is a control app for iOS and Android.

The Z1000 Pro also has the option of using Bluetooth for the remote, but this may not be of much use if the player is in another room and some distance away? I don't think you get the Bluetooth remote with the Z9X though?

There is a control app for iOS and Android.

The Z1000 Pro also has the option of using Bluetooth for the remote, but this may not be of much use if the player is in another room and some distance away? I don't think you get the Bluetooth remote with the Z9X though?

No
its a basic ir remote with the Z9x
but one can always buy a Bluetooth Remote if req

ive been using one for years with my Z10 Pro and Zidoo‘s

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom