ZIDOO - Z10 PRO - Z9X - Z1000 PRO - UHD 3000 - NEO A - NEO S - NEO X - Dolby Vision - Owners Thread

There are options for HDR to SDR within the player's settings. There is the option to select one of 3 gamma settings as well as the ability to modify the brightness, contrast, tone and saturation while engaging the player's HDR to SDR processing.

I cannot comment on how effective the HDR to SDR processing or options are though because I've an HDR complaint display.

Last edited:
Ref : For 4K media watching on a 1080p screen is an on going issue ive complained about from day one .
wether it can be resolved via software wise or a limitation to the 1619 chipset …….?
Still waiting on that answer .

Again, nobody has asked about 4K to 1080p. The question relates to the conversion of HDR to SDR. Not all displays and or PJs are HDR compliant, hence why the players include an HDR to SDR setting. HDR is a reference to video that was mastered for inclusion with HDR10, HDR10+ or Dolby Vision HDR metadata. Such content tends to look darker on displays that are not HDR compliant or enabled. Many players include processing to try compensate for this. The effectiveness if such processing varies.

Last edited:
Again, nobody has asked about 4K to 1080p. The question relates to the conversion of HDR to SDR.

This remark is for all on this thread to know and to read so they know what they are poss purchasing for the future and its limitations .

Plus will add this issue on first page of my thread for future buyers as may help that they know of it if there still on 1080p screens / projectors .

Just to add it's nothing to do with HDR compliance in my case. My TV and PJ can accept full 4K HDR. It's more a preference for SDR on my PJ, as on the whole I prefer it that way.

PJs aren't really the best way to portray HDR content anyway. The tech is more in tune with the light source being behind the image projecting outward as opposed to having the image projected onto a screen. You can buy some pretty expensive kit to try compensate for the limitations of a projector when it comes to portraying HDR, but you'd need deep pockets to be able to afford some of these imtermediary video processors.

Agreed. Ideally you need a DTM solution to make the best of it. Looks ok on my Pj as I have lots of lumens available in dynamic mode when calibrated and a HDR slider to get the best balance. Even so most of the time I stick to SDR. Thus would be good to get the HDR to SDR more accurate.

Tragically I've realised I was nerdy enough to have taken a video of the Zappiti poster wall when I had it, to compare with the Kodi poster wall. So I've now taken videos of the Zidoo and Kodi poster walls as well, to compare all three.

Here's the Z9X, which looks great but lags a bit with thumbnails when scrolling fast, as noted above:

Here's Kodi, which loads perfectly but IMO isn't quite as pretty as the Zidoo offering:

And here's a Zappiti (I forget which model, but their poster wall's the same across models). It has to load each screen, which really slows navigation but means you don't see thumbnails loading. The red background is the standard poster wall, but you can get a black one which looks much better.

I think, out of all of them, I like the Zidoo's the best, having lived with it a while now. The thumbnail loading point is a fairly minor niggle. I guess I'm highlighting it because if resolved, the Z9X would be near enough perfect for local media playback.

Silver theme looks much better on the zap mate.

Tragically I've realised I was nerdy enough to have taken a video of the Zappiti poster wall when I had it, to compare with the Kodi poster wall. So I've now taken videos of the Zidoo and Kodi poster walls as well, to compare all three.

Here's the Z9X, which looks great but lags a bit with thumbnails when scrolling fast, as noted above:

Here's Kodi, which loads perfectly but IMO isn't quite as pretty as the Zidoo offering:

And here's a Zappiti (I forget which model, but their poster wall's the same across models). It has to load each screen, which really slows navigation but means you don't see thumbnails loading. The red background is the standard poster wall, but you can get a black one which looks much better.

I think, out of all of them, I like the Zidoo's the best, having lived with it a while now. The thumbnail loading point is a fairly minor niggle. I guess I'm highlighting it because if resolved, the Z9X would be near enough perfect for local media playback.

Thanks for posting this, when i seen the post re the scrolling issue it left me wondering if this was the right purchase or not, im sure they will sort it out properly, but what you showed in the 1st video to me is not a deal breaker, i certainly wouldn’t be scrolling that fast, so just currently leaves me deciding if i want to go thru the whole initial setup for this box to get it working, but with rose tinted glasses thinking back the meder8r needed a bit of tweaking,
think this will mainly be for my 3D library and 4k trilogy’s, so hopefully wont be neeeding 14tb of disk space (not to mention hours of stressful rips as have prob in the region of 100 4k discs)

Really isn't too bad setting it up. Just sorting out the ones that don't scrape. Dead easy to create your own collections too for things.

Thanks for posting this, when i seen the post re the scrolling issue it left me wondering if this was the right purchase or not, im sure they will sort it out properly, but what you showed in the 1st video to me is not a deal breaker, i certainly wouldn’t be scrolling that fast, so just currently leaves me deciding if i want to go thru the whole initial setup for this box to get it working, but with rose tinted glasses thinking back the meder8r needed a bit of tweaking,
think this will mainly be for my 3D library and 4k trilogy’s, so hopefully wont be neeeding 14tb of disk space (not to mention hours of stressful rips as have prob in the region of 100 4k discs)
As @markymiles says, it's an absolute breeze to set up. It recognised almost everything in my collection and scanned my NAS in no time.

As @markymiles says, it's an absolute breeze to set up. It recognised almost everything in my collection and scanned my NAS in no time.
thanks, appreciate your thoughts
don't have a nas, but will be using built in HDD

thanks, appreciate your thoughts
don't have a nas, but will be using built in HDD

Then that be even easier & simpler to do .
Set up Guidance is on first page of this thread . 👍

Hello!

First, thanks for all of the great information in this thread. It's been very helpful. I've read about 40 pages of this thread over a few days, but still have a question.:)

All of my movies, 1080p and 4K, have been burned using MakeMKV and the recommended mkv naming convention. These movies played fine with kodi on a Nvidia Sheild, but my Nvidia died so I've been looking for a replacement. Using MakeMKV I only selected one version of the movie, only one audio option which was always the highest "quality" and the forced sub-titles. This all worked fine on kodi and I'm guessing it will work fine on Zidoo. Please let me know if that's not going to be the case.

My other question is, how do I burn copies of my moves so when I select them on the Zidoo I have all of the menu options that you would normally see if you were using the physical media on a BD player? If this is possible, I'm thinking about burning some of them again to get this functionality.

Thanks!

When I turn my Z9X on I have a message stating there is a new firmware. Is this a new change now I.e. can I just click this and install as opposed to copying a zip file to usb stick? Thanks

When I turn my Z9X on I have a message stating there is a new firmware. Is this a new change now I.e. can I just click this and install as opposed to copying a zip file to usb stick? Thanks

yes new feature of beta firmware install [ Tick Box Feature in update settings ]
click yes if you req and it will self install and when PROMPTED to reboot media box
and let it finish process of installation etc .

Last edited:
Hello!

First, thanks for all of the great information in this thread. It's been very helpful. I've read about 40 pages of this thread over a few days, but still have a question.:)

All of my movies, 1080p and 4K, have been burned using MakeMKV and the recommended mkv naming convention. These movies played fine with kodi on a Nvidia Sheild, but my Nvidia died so I've been looking for a replacement. Using MakeMKV I only selected one version of the movie, only one audio option which was always the highest "quality" and the forced sub-titles. This all worked fine on kodi and I'm guessing it will work fine on Zidoo. Please let me know if that's not going to be the case.

My other question is, how do I burn copies of my moves so when I select them on the Zidoo I have all of the menu options that you would normally see if you were using the physical media on a BD player? If this is possible, I'm thinking about burning some of them again to get this functionality.

Thanks!
Mkv movie files should play fine on the Zidoo & All the Auidio formats etc

Are you saying you have something else to do the HDR to SDR conversion, or you're using the Zidoo to do it, or what?

I have infuse/Apple TV which does a great job. But that doesn't bitstream so you lose atmos/dts:x on local media. Would be preferable if the zidoo could do it instead. As is it's not really usable.

Just installed a new Z9X. It's running 6.1.15. When I select update I have options to Update Online, USB update and Update log. Where do I click the option for beta updates?

Just installed a new Z9X. It's running 6.1.15. When I select update I have options to Update Online, USB update and Update log. Where do I click the option for beta updates?
on update icon ……click
there is two check boxes tick update beta box download option .

Read first page of this thread for more inf that may help etc .
and give a like 🙃🙃

When I click Online update, it comes back with a big check mark and says I'm up to date.

You may have too early firmware to have the two tick boxes showing .

what firmware do you req
the with google firmware or without it firmware ?

Z9X:
v6.3.40
链接:http://apidl.zidoo.tv/Z9X/v6.3.40/Z9X_P_v6.3.40_202109112033_ota-package2.zip
MD5: 08993D1FDA189F66887967BF7A1D82DF

v6.3.40_G
http://apidl.zidoo.tv/Z9X/v6.3.40/Z9X_P_v6.3.40_G_202109112044_ota-package.zip
MD5: 0D7D0CE7FB1C8F83F3992D0F7F04D3B6

Is the google difference the Google Playstore? If so, I want without. This box will only be used to play movie files.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom