ZIDOO - Z10 PRO - Z9X - Z1000 PRO - UHD 3000 - NEO A - NEO S - NEO X - Dolby Vision - Owners Thread

When watching content from the internal SSD and also external USB attached SSD/sticks, the Z1000 Pro will sometimes nearly grind to a halt with the playback, seems like one or two frames per second. If i rewind it instantly, the same scene plays fine. I cleared the system application data to see if that would help but still having problems. I read a factory reset would fix it but reluctant to do so. The firmware is up to date.

When watching content from the internal SSD and also external USB attached SSD/sticks, the Z1000 Pro will sometimes nearly grind to a halt with the playback, seems like one or two frames per second. If i rewind it instantly, the same scene plays fine. I cleared the system application data to see if that would help but still having problems. I read a factory reset would fix it but reluctant to do so. The firmware is up to date.
Is it possible that either HDD / SSD goes to sleep or that USB goes into energy saving mode? Probably no controls in the box SW for either so probably purely academic discussion on my end.

Perfect, thanks.

From reading the link you gave it sounds like I only need to knock off about 0.5TB. Have you any thoughts on what size I should make the partition?

Ok, probably you have already dealt with that. But in case you did not.

There are two factors at play here and I think you are mixing them up a bit.

1. The most important is that your Zidoo cannot handle 18tb because of 32bit addressing limitation. Because of that you have to reduce addressable (usable) space of HDD by reducing size of the partition on it (by either formatting it and while doing so defining smaller partition size or by shrinking existing partition).

Max partition size (according the post) is as in that post (I would make it a tiny smaller just to be on the safe side):

<brain fart removed>

2. This is the part that caused some confusion, by the looks of things. If you decide to go with shrinking my advice is to - if you need to shrink by 0.5tb to meet addressing problem solution make at least 1tb of free space on that HDD. That is to allow the operation of shrinking to go smoothly and safely. Most tools would not allow you to go below certain amount of margin of free space over what you want to shrink before starting shrinking. Shrinking is rather stable if you give it good margin but it can also belly up on you and you can loose whole partition (in most cases mostly recoverable from).

The above is not to scare you off. Just give it a healthy margin. Once shrinking is done you can copy that extra 0.5tb back (so if you need to shrink by 0.5tb to meet addressing solution, free up 1tb of space before shrinking, shrink by 0.5tb and then remaining 0.5tb of free space can be filled up straight away again).

And finally I shrink partitions for over 30 years and never had a single problem, but that is because I always leave a healthy margin before starting with it (and in case of really important data I make sure I have a backup).

Hope that makes it clearer.

Last edited:
Is it possible that either HDD / SSD goes to sleep or that USB goes into energy saving mode? Probably no controls in the box SW for either so probably purely academic discussion on my end.
Hmmm, not sure. It became more frequent after i posted above. This morning, I have performed a factory reset. Will see how playback goes.

Hmmm, not sure. It became more frequent after i posted above. This morning, I have performed a factory reset. Will see how playback goes.
Let us know if it helped.

Hi Seb

Thank you for all the help, it's much appreciated.

Ok, probably you have already dealt with that. But in case you did not.

Yep I've done it - I plan on testing it shortly.

There are two factors at play here and I think you are mixing them up a bit.

Nope, not mixed up, I got what you meant from your previous guidance.

1. The most important is that your Zidoo cannot handle 18tb because of 32bit addressing limitation. Because of that you have to reduce addressable (usable) space of HDD by reducing size of the partition on it (by either formatting it and while doing so defining smaller partition size or by shrinking existing partition).

Max partition size (according the post) is as in that post (I would make it a tiny smaller just to be on the safe side):

Yeah I went with that post, so I've got a bit under 17.5 trillion bytes.

The numbers there are all the same but represented in either bytes or bits

They're not in bits, they're all in bytes, and the difference is is whether the size is the way HDD's are sold (an 18TB disk has 18 trillion bytes) or the way computers refer to bytes, where a KB is 1024 bytes, not 1000 etc (I know you know all this, but just clearing up that none of it is about bits, which would be bytes * 8).

I did the first drive though Windows Device Manager. The second disk didn't work, as the drive thought there was some data (it was in the table) but it wasn't there. So I used Mini Tool Partition Wizard, and ran CHKDSK to fix it.

2. This is the part that caused some confusion, by the looks of things. If you decide to go with shrinking my advice is to - if you need to shrink by 0.5tb to meet addressing problem solution make at least 1tb of free space on that HDD. That is to allow the operation of shrinking to go smoothly and safely.

Yep, understood.

So now that I've got 2 full 17.5 TB drives on the Z10 Pro, what should I add next?

I could add an internal drive, or I could add another external, but using a USB 2.0 port (the 3.0 ports being taken already). Would the Zidoo be happy either way?

Glad you got it sorted.

They're not in bits, they're all in bytes, and the difference is is whether the size is the way HDD's are sold (an 18TB disk has 18 trillion bytes) or the way computers refer to bytes, where a KB is 1024 bytes, not 1000 etc (I know you know all this, but just clearing up that none of it is about bits, which would be bytes * 8).

I did the first drive though Windows Device Manager. The second disk didn't work, as the drive thought there was some data (it was in the table) but it wasn't there. So I used Mini Tool Partition Wizard, and ran CHKDSK to fix it.
You are absolutely right. Don't know where my brain was when I was typing that. In my defence I had only 4h of sleep so I will blame that :D. Thank for correcting it. I will edit it out so nobody gets tempted to follow that part into some sort of action :)

So now that I've got 2 full 17.5 TB drives on the Z10 Pro, what should I add next?

I could add an internal drive, or I could add another external, but using a USB 2.0 port (the 3.0 ports being taken already). Would the Zidoo be happy either way?
I think you are getting ready to buy a nice home for your growing collection of HDDs = NAS :)

I think you are getting ready to buy a nice home for your growing collection of HDDs = NAS :)
Nah, I did consider NAS when I was first setting it all up, and it just didn't seem worth it. My two current drives basically have every film I want from the last 100 years. I'll add to them each year, but it won't be at the rate to fill a new drive very quickly.

Just need to decide whether to get another external, or an internal.

I haven't used my UHD3000 for audio in quite some time, but I bought a new sub recently and wanted to give it a shot. The first song seems to play just fine in 5.1 but the next song, reverts to PCM 2.0. A very frustrating issue with EDID. Does anyone have any idea on how to remedy this? I could try blocking the CEC connector of the HDMI cable running to my OLED and/or Lyngdorf to see if that fixes it. But if I block CEC to my OLED, I believe I will lose eARC functionality.

You can use an USB hub for additional 3.0 ports. Works for my Z9X Pro.

Hi guys I just brought the uhd 5000 base on recommendations but for some reason it doesn't recognize my hard drive when hooked up internally. When I connected it externally via USB it showed up. I'm lost I tried formatting idk what to do

Hi guys I just brought the uhd 5000 base on recommendations but for some reason it doesn't recognize my hard drive when hooked up internally. When I connected it externally via USB it showed up. I'm lost I tried formatting idk what to do
What size is the HDD?

It may be that Zidoo requires specific file system (for the drive to be formatted in).

A standard GPT partition and NTFS format should be fine for a 16Tb HDD.
Have you given the drive a name with weird characters perhaps?
No only a letter, I contacted support there saying it could be a malfunction. Advised me to have it replaced

I run both Plex and Zidoo. Zidoo is more finicky with file names. File names with comma will fail to match in Zidoo. E.g., "I, Tonya (2017)." I think ampersand causes a problem as well but I am not sure. Also, Plex is smarter with file names. You will be fine if your file names are consistent with TMDB & TVDB. Otherwise, consider using FileBot or TinyMediaManager to rename your files.

One frustrating thing that Zidoo has fixed in beta firmware is extra files named with Plex naming standards. E.g., -featurette, -deleted, -behindthescenes, etc. There is now a configurable option to ignore files with those patterns during scraping.

For trailer (if you have any), the file name must match the movie name if you want it to be used as local trailer and played automatically in the movie detail page. E.g., I, Tonya (2017).mkv and I, Tonya (2017)-trailer.mkv. See pics below.

View attachment 1654813

View attachment 1654814
I have a Zidoo z10 pro if that matters. Does the trailer file have to be in the same folder as the movie can it be anywhere? I let my movies have some longer names to describe the encoding type but should the names be barebones down to title and match the trailer?

Just to make doubly sure before I buy.
A 16TB WD Red will be okay internally for a 1000 Pro?

Just to make doubly sure before I buy.
A 16TB WD Red will be okay internally for a 1000 Pro?
partition GPT and format NTFS on a PC first, if you can (even fill with movies first). Will then be fine inside the Z1000 Pro :D I have swapped a few HDD's in and out of mine and they all work nicely.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom