Zidoo X9 Android Media Player Review & Comments

Good review but have to wonder why it was reviewed.
No Android based box can do 24p - period.
No Android based box is going to do gaming justice and everything else looked what you'd expect.

So not sure on either why it was reviewed and why it scored only a 7 based on those 2 negatives that are part of being an Android box.

Not a criticism just dont' really understand the logic review was very well done.

edit - looks like I've learend something, thought all android boxes couldn't do 24p native output, seems like there are plenty that can.
Sorry for the baseless criticism.
:)

Last edited:
I'm watching at 24P on my Android box as I speak so not sure why you say that?

I'm watching at 24P on my Android box as I speak so not sure why you say that?

Your tv is receiving a 24p signal, or you are playing 24p material?
From all reports 24p signal is not possible on Android.

edit - just googling now, looks like I've made a mistake and it's xbmc running on android OS that's the problem...at least it appears like this? I assumed this was a problem with android setups and not xbmc, although still not sure?
Thanks

Last edited:
edit - just googling now, looks like I've made a mistake and it's xbmc running on android OS that's the problem...at least it appears like this? I assumed this was a problem with android setups and not xbmc, although still not sure?
Thanks

Well, I have four boxes here that can do '24p' and two of them do it perfectly for all variants (23.976/24/24.04 etc) via a specially tailored XBMC/KODI but it takes extra work for the manufacturers to make the chipsets work properly and few are prepared/able to do so,

Can you tell me what android boxes can do all frame rates then? I have read on here that 24p is a problem so you get stuttering, also they are unable to change rates automatically and require manually changing depending what your playing

I can't speak for others but my Minix X8H seems to do well, automatic switches to 24P as necessary. I have 2 options for frame rate switching, either in XBMC/Kodi or there is a system wide option for auto switching, which in theory should work with other apps as well, I mainly use XBMC so couldn't comment on other apps.

Can you tell me what android boxes can do all frame rates then? I have read on here that 24p is a problem so you get stuttering, also they are unable to change rates automatically and require manually changing depending what your playing

As Jamie says below, X8H but so does the Minix X8-H Plus, X6 and Z64A. Then I also have the HiMedia Q5 which makes a pretty good job of 24p too.

I've also just had a note from Zidoo about this device and they are to issue new software for it this week to address the lack of 24p handling so I'll be updating the review when I get a chance to test it.

I can't speak for others but my Minix X8H seems to do well, automatic switches to 24P as necessary. I have 2 options for frame rate switching, either in XBMC/Kodi or there is a system wide option for auto switching, which in theory should work with other apps as well, I mainly use XBMC so couldn't comment on other apps.

Hi I am new to this comment box , I have just purchased my 1st android box I have the Zidoo X9 and think it's a great little box exactly what I was looking for the only few issues I have and wonder if anyone can help is, (1). I have installed the BBC iPlayer app from the Google play store but it won't play anything properly it's really bad and I don't know what else to try ??
(2). I downloaded the itv iPlayer but I can't scroll down to get to other programs is this because of the remote control it comes with and I should therefore purchase an air mouse remote ?? .
(3). When I have installed some of the file add ons in the Kodi section some things come up with script error can't play and it just goes straight back to where I began ??
(4). When I installed a couple of steaming apps from the aptoide app store It plays the stream but is really fuzzy where as on my phone it's fine ??
I hope all this makes sense and any help would be fantastic thanks . John

Hi

1: It's a common problem with iPlayer and Android. Best bet is to use iplayerlite or another iplayer addon through KODI. It works much better and you can get HD streams and VOD.

2. Yup, it's designed for touchscreen so you would need an airmouse thingmy to navigate easily

3. Could be any number of things. It's probably just an issue at the source/server side

4. You'd need to be more specific but we won't discuss any copyright infringing apps/content. Could it just be that your phone screen is much tinier than your TV and you only realise just how bad the quality is when you see it at that size?

cheers

Mark

Last edited:
Hi Mark thanks for the reply ok might sound a bit stupid but as I said I am new to this sort of thing how do I find/install the iPlayer add-on in kodi ?? The remote I have looked up and will purchase asap. As for the bad quality of stream I think you may be right ,My phone is much smaller than my tv which is makes sense . Is there any chance of a personal contact with yourself via phone or text as you seem to know what you're talking about whereas I'm just trying to learn ?

No worries John.

This is the link to the one I use: dropcanvas - instant drag and drop sharing - canvas view There are others if you Google but the official one is not working at the moment.

Download the zip - you can do it to a usb stick on your pc or direct through the browser on the zidoo (not easy with the supplied remote).

Insert USB stick in to Zidoo. In Kodi, go to settings>addons>install from zip file and locate the usb storage from the page that comes up. It might label it as USBstorage, external storage, storage01, something like that, but you should be able to locate. Browse to zip file on the stick, and click on it to install then you should get the Add on enabled dialogue and you can then find it under Video>addons. It works really well.

Sorry, I really can't offer any support outside of the forum. I've enough on with my friends and family always asking me stuff!! :)

Thanks very much Mark you have been a great help I will try this and be back if I have any other issues I understand with the phone that cool so thanks again
john

Hi Mark sorry to bother you again that zip file you sent me is a great help do you have any other files that you could send over that is going to make my box and experience better ??

Hi Mark its John again are you free to help out on something I am slowly getting to grips with this thing but just have a problem with the a tv guide ??

Zidoo X9S

Another one that states the same .

Looks like it is only missing a VXP processor to compete Dune and Cloudmedia.
Probably X9s has better file/codec support.

Hi Mark its John again are you free to help out on something I am slowly getting to grips with this thing but just have a problem with the a tv guide ??

Go to google play, search " Kodi guide " then start reading. Also internet search " Kodi wiki " and read that too.

Can anyone confirm if this records a Sky box feed via HDMI - I've seen reports it can but doesn't record sound, which is rather useless. I'm not fussed about recording premium content, being able to record clips of freeview programs would be handy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom