Zidoo X8 vs X9S vs X10 (vs Zappiti Mini 4K HDR)

I thought Zidoo upscales 1080p to 4K. But if it doesn't, then I also can leave it on Auto. my concern was that by leaving it on auto, it will upscale 1080p and 720p to 4K.

I'm finding that blu-ray ISO's are NOT being upscaled - the video output is 1080p @ 23.976 Hz. However DVD's are being upscaled - for a few I've tried it is outputting 4K @ 29Hz. Still looks pretty good to my eyes. As I say, either the Zidoo or the TV has to upscale them to 4K, so what does it matter which does the job? This is using HT2. I've not tried ZDMC.

How about 3D? Do you have to choose an eye even if your 3D movies are ripped using MKV (frame packed) or is it auto?

I've only tried one 3D MKV (frame packed) and it worked fine in Auto. The rest of my 3D movies are in ISO format and mostly they work fine also in Auto. Only for a few - say around 5% of them - you need to change the eye setting. Who knows why. I keep meaning to report it via the Zidoo forum but have not got round to it.

Last edited:
I'm finding that blu-ray ISO's are NOT being upscaled - the video output is 1080p @ 23.976 Hz. However DVD's are being upscaled - for a few I've tried it is outputting 4K @ 29Hz. Still looks pretty good to my eyes. As I say, either the Zidoo or the TV has to upscale them to 4K, so what does it matter which does the job? This is using HT2. I've not tried ZDMC.

If Zidoo upscales to 4K my surround processor wont be able to pass the signal to TV. I need to lock it down to 1080p/24 (if possible).

How /where do you change the eye setting?

Also do you have any issues with playing 3D MVC with the latest firmware?

Another user in avs forum experienced stuttering playing 3D MKV from his local USB hard drive using the latest firmware update (Jan 2019).

Did you have any issues playing 3D or 2D Blu ray with the previous version? Did the new update change improved/changed anything for you as far as 2D 1080p and 3D are concerned?

If Zidoo upscales to 4K my surround processor wont be able to pass the signal to TV. I need to lock it down to 1080p/24 (if possible).

Ahh OK I had not thought of that. But it might not do that with your set up. I think that possibly what it outputs on auto-setting will depend what it is connected to (determined by HDMI "hand-shaking"). If it detects it is connected to a device (your receiver) that is limited to 1080p, then quite possibly it will output this resolution as a maximum. Since I have a 4K capable receiver, my Ziddo 'knows' it can output this resolution.

Also do you have any issues with playing 3D MVC with the latest firmware?

I don't have any "3D MVC"'s I think - only ISOs.

Did you have any issues playing 3D or 2D Blu ray with the previous version? Did the new update change improved/changed anything for you as far as 2D 1080p and 3D are concerned?

I cannot recall any particular issues with the previous version. Since updating, now you mention it I think I have seen some stutters with the new firmware installed. But I've not watched that many movies since installing it. From memory maybe the odd short 'freeze' during playback. But quite infrequent - maybe a handful of times in a movie. Not continually.

How /where do you change the eye setting?

It's in the Zidoo 3D settings while playing the video - bring up the menu, then navigate to 3D options and you will find one to change the eye setting.

Problems with playback such as occasional freezing can be resolved by running the Clean Up tool and / or power cycling.

Also make sure you do not install unnecessary apps, which will use resouces, connect to the Internet and generally impact performance. IMO, the Zidoo (and other media players) should just be used to play local video files. They are not spec'd to be everything to everyone.

Problems with playback such as occasional freezing can be resolved by running the Clean Up tool and / or power cycling.

Also make sure you do not install unnecessary apps, which will use resouces, connect to the Internet and generally impact performance. IMO, the Zidoo (and other media players) should just be used to play local video files. They are not spec'd to be everything to everyone.
Absolutely no apps. I wont use KODI or anything like that. I just want to use the Zidoo internal player. All the apps I need are already on my TV (Netflix, Amazon, ...).
To be honest with you, I'm even hesitant to download the latest firmware.

Is there a specific firmware that you can suggest me to update Zidoo to, just to meet my needs (BD, 3D BD, DVD) for 1080p/24 and 720p? A firmware that doesn't cause stuttering or freezing. I don't use any 4K materials at all and I can live with a minimum movie listing (poster wall, no matter which Rev)

Thanks

Is there a specific firmware that you can suggest me to update Zidoo to, just to meet my needs (BD, 3D BD, DVD) for 1080p/24 and 720p? A firmware that doesn't cause stuttering or freezing. I don't use any 4K materials at all and I can live with a minimum movie listing (poster wall, no matter which Rev)

As I recall, with the original firmware version my unit arrived with - which I think was the first - playback of 1080p was rock solid. Because I found it would not auto-switch into 4K no matter what I tried! I remember being very happy with the playback of my - at that time - entirely 1080p collection. But disappointed I could not get 4K switching working. Only on updating to a much more recent firmware did it work properly.

So you could roll right back to the first one.

As I recall, with the original firmware version my unit arrived with - which I think was the first - playback of 1080p was rock solid. Because I found it would not auto-switch into 4K no matter what I tried! I remember being very happy with the playback of my - at that time - entirely 1080p collection. But disappointed I could not get 4K switching working. Only on updating to a much more recent firmware did it work properly.

So you could roll right back to the first one.
Thanks for the info.

When you update the firmware or change it to a previous one, does Zidoo clean all your movie library and do you have to re-scan everything again or will it keep the already scanned movies?

I Just received a Zidoo X9S from Amazon (did not have X8 available).
I connected it to my system and it powered on, I did the set up and I chose "Direct Stand By".

I trued off the system.

I try to power it on, but it does not power on. I see a small blue light on the LED display but nothing comes up.

Could you help me please?

I did not update the software or anything else. Just tried a 3D movie on it for 5 minutes.
But no matter what I do, It doesn't power on.

I Just received a Zidoo X9S from Amazon (did not have X8 available).
I connected it to my system and it powered on, I did the set up and I chose "Direct Stand By".

I trued off the system.

I try to power it on, but it does not power on. I see a small blue light on the LED display but nothing comes up.

Could you help me please?

I did not update the software or anything else. Just tried a 3D movie on it for 5 minutes.
But no matter what I do, It doesn't power on.

The power supplies they are shipping with these units are garbage. Mine died in less than 24 hours. If you have another one that is 12V 2A or 3A try that.

But there is a small blue light on.

Do you still think it could be the power supply?

I tried a 12V/2Amp. Still the same. Did not work

Sounds like it's dead then. My first X9S from Amazon was a brick and I had to send it back. The power supply on the replacement died in less than 24 hours but I used a different one and it's still going strong.

I got the new unit.
So far so good (using the original firmware)
Would you please teach me how to change the poster walls for movies?
Some are wrong and I don't know how to change them.

Many thanks.

Would you please teach me how to change the poster walls for movies?
Some are wrong and I don't know how to change them.

Many thanks.
Whilst on the poster you want to change, press and hold the OK (select) button until some options are shown, then select Change Image.

I'd like to go and update the firmware to the latest.
Is this procedure correct?
I turn the unit off, disconnect the USB drives. connect the USB drive that has the firmware, update it (remove the drive), do a factory reset, reconnect the USB with movies again.

I did as you directed me but when I keep holding "OK", no options come up.

It's the Context Menu function you want, which can depend a bit on your device. On Windows, right-click on the poster in the Movies wall. On devices with a Menu button, try that instead. Select "Manage..." from the resulting menu to see the artwork option.

You can also go into the Info page for the movie and select the artwork button from the row of icons.

Andre

It's the Context Menu function you want, which can depend a bit on your device. On Windows, right-click on the poster in the Movies wall. On devices with a Menu button, try that instead. Select "Manage..." from the resulting menu to see the artwork option.

You can also go into the Info page for the movie and select the artwork button from the row of icons.

Andre
Hello again,
I updated the device to the latest firmware. Everything is OK. Hometheater 2.0 and I was able to change the poster per your instructions.
I have a couple of problems with the scan section of this device.

I have three "The God Father" movies (parts I, II, III). After scanning, I see that only two of the three were scanned and added to the home theater 2.0.
The same thing with "The Lord Of The Rings". I have the extended editions which are a total of 6 disks, but only 3 disks were scanned (Part one of each story, part two is missing).
How can I add them to the poster section?

Thanks

Hello again,
I updated the device to the latest firmware. Everything is OK. Hometheater 2.0 and I was able to change the poster per your instructions.
I have a couple of problems with the scan section of this device.

I have three "The God Father" movies (parts I, II, III). After scanning, I see that only two of the three were scanned and added to the home theater 2.0.
The same thing with "The Lord Of The Rings". I have the extended editions which are a total of 6 disks, but only 3 disks were scanned (Part one of each story, part two is missing).
How can I add them to the poster section?

Thanks
Have you looked in the "Other" folder at the bottom of the poster wall to see if they are in there? If they are, you can manually rematch (by holding OK on the title).

Have you looked in the "Other" folder at the bottom of the poster wall to see if they are in there? If they are, you can manually rematch (by holding OK on the title).
Yes, I did and I matched all of them. But some movies are still missing (another missing one is “Pitch Black).

I cannot find the scan / re-scan area again. I go to "Source" (in this case, my easyStore USB Drive), I choose the folder, but I do not get the "Scan" option. I get a menu which has "Cut", "Delete", "Paste", ...
But I cannot find "Scan".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom