• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ZIDOO X5

PeteSco

Novice Member
Hello guys, I'd like to know your opinion on this TV Box.

Some specs:
  • Android 5.1 Lollipop
  • Amlogic S905 Cortex A53 64bit Processor 2.0GHz
  • Penta-Core ARM Mali-450
  • RAM 1GB DDR3 ROM 8GB eMMC
  • 802.11 b/g/n Wifi
  • 10/100M Ethernet
  • [email protected] Hz video decoding 10-bit HEVC and AVS+ codec
  • Standard HDMI [email protected] support CEC

Some photos:
Zidoo%20X5.jpg

It doesn't seem bad for $59 (on geekbuying), any thoughts?

Last edited:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
It's you posting another Android box and not listening to any of the comments made about the other ones and it's another new box that nobody has yet so nobody has any experience of it.

PeteSco

Novice Member
It's you posting another Android box and not listening to any of the comments made about the other ones and it's another new box that nobody has yet so nobody has any experience of it.

Well, some guys just say one thing and disappear, I don't know if it's because the forum isn't very active or what I post isn't interesting. Fact is I still haven't bought a TV Box, I'm still using Chromecast which is very limited. If I'll be convinced in buying one then I'll do it, I don't really have money to throw around..

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Nobody can comment on it because nobody bar a couple of people have one.

This is predominantly a UK based site. All are welcome but discussion of Vizio TV's for example is pointless as we don't get them here and there's only a few members in the US that are active.
The last time you posted that "you were too busy to read reviews" but that's all you're going to get for a newly launched box, not opinions for something you can't buy here yet. There is now a site review for the MiniX UI you previously asked about.

If you want a cheap box just for Kodi then get a Raspberry Pi2 as it's very cheap and very well supported. Other than that if you buy a very cheap android box then be prepared for it to have bugs and little in the way of support and updates. That's part of what you're paying for with the MiniX, Nvidia Shield, Wetek etc.

There are literally hundreds of these boxes out there. Nobody has knowledge of all, particularly ones with just a spec list and nothing else.

PeteSco

Novice Member
Nobody can comment on it because nobody bar a couple of people have one.

This is predominantly a UK based site. All are welcome but discussion of Vizio TV's for example is pointless as we don't get them here and there's only a few members in the US that are active.
The last time you posted that "you were too busy to read reviews" but that's all you're going to get for a newly launched box, not opinions for something you can't buy here yet. There is now a site review for the MiniX UI you previously asked about.

If you want a cheap box just for Kodi then get a Raspberry Pi2 as it's very cheap and very well supported. Other than that if you buy a very cheap android box then be prepared for it to have bugs and little in the way of support and updates. That's part of what you're paying for with the MiniX, Nvidia Shield, Wetek etc.

Ok, I get it, I just thought people could give their opinion based on the specs, but I guess also the UX is important.

I'm not sure but doesn't the Raspberry Pi need some accessories? Also, I don't know if I'm good enough to install stuff on it, but maybe it's easier than I think.
By the way, is the Nvidia Shield so bad? Why do you put it together with the rest?

JonMace

Prominent Member
The wetek are good very well supported infact it is the chosen box of openelec which is probably the best and most popular stand alone Kodi release

Paul Siu

Novice Member
I am curious about the Zidoo X5, too. The only review is this Vietnamese review:

Note: I do not know Vietnamese, so i have no idea what the reviewer said. If i have to guess, the product is sort of like Zidoo X1 but with a faster processor. You can probably get a good sense of the performance by looking at benchmark of similar boxes with Amlogic S905 processors.

As for Zidoo as a company, they appear to be a Chinese firm that also makes broadcasting equipment. As a result, they have software department that customize their own software. They appear to update their firmware fairly regularly but I don't know how they are to deal with when you have a warranty repair. Based on comments on their previous product, expect some beta elements when you buy a new model and fixes in future firmware updates.

Paul

Member 718031

Standard Member
ZIDOO is indeed a Chinese manufacture, they are one of the better ones and I would put them a close in the same category as MINIX.

They have some nice, well priced TV boxes between about $50 and $150. They have their own software team who are fairly quick at doing updates and patches when needed, a huge plus considering that so many TV boxes out of China are unsupported.

PeteSco

Novice Member
I am curious about the Zidoo X5, too. The only review is this Vietnamese review:

Note: I do not know Vietnamese, so i have no idea what the reviewer said. If i have to guess, the product is sort of like Zidoo X1 but with a faster processor. You can probably get a good sense of the performance by looking at benchmark of similar boxes with Amlogic S905 processors.

As for Zidoo as a company, they appear to be a Chinese firm that also makes broadcasting equipment. As a result, they have software department that customize their own software. They appear to update their firmware fairly regularly but I don't know how they are to deal with when you have a warranty repair. Based on comments on their previous product, expect some beta elements when you buy a new model and fixes in future firmware updates.

Paul

I don't know if you feel better about Italian language but here it is:

He says it's not that bad, although there are some bugs, but Zidoo will probably fix those. Which is what you previously told me, hehe.
For $56 it's really not that bad..

bubblegum57

Prominent Member
From the Chinavision website

Product Notes
  • The Android OS version on this device cannot be upgraded or flashed and any attempts to modify the default OS will void the warranty. As a wholesaler, we provide no software support, advice, or training regarding the Android operating system and software.
  • So no upgrading Kodi then?
A NUC or Pi or wetek can be upgraded

JohnSmithImage

Novice Member
Well I might be a bit late but I'd be interested if I can be sure that :
1) It can play all the supported formats from an external HDD (1TB)
2) is the audio output either a coaxial or a "Toslink" (I read the specs, still don't get it).
3) I can still find one.

If not, any suggestion for a media player? I don't need the online part of it.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom