ZeroZeroZero (Sky/NowTV) TV Show Review & Comments

mjm2705

I, ahem, sourced this last year soon after buying the Mogwai soundtrack album and watched all of the episodes over 2 or 3 evenings.

I remember it being patchy to start off with due to the, initially, separate stories and the need to switch in and out of subtitle reading mode.

But as things came together, the brutal scenes started to impact the character development and the Mogwai soundtrack subtly held things together, I ended up seeing this as one of the best pieces of TV I have seen in years.

Now that its on Sky (in UHD) and everyone I raved about it to can actually watch it, I plan to watch it all again over the next week or so.

Good and balanced review this based on my memories of first watching it ... I'd have given it a 9 though ;)

stewjoy

Watched episode 1 last night, good build up for the next episodes. I must say the picture on sky HDR was absolutely brilliant. Looking forward to the rest.

moraghan

A 9/10 all day long for me. One of the best shows over the last couple of years IMO. Final 2 episodes are probably the best of the series.

Special mentions for Andrea Riseborough and Dane DeHaan...and of course fantastic soundtrack from Mogwai.

However probably one not to watch with wife and/or kids. It gets incredibly violent.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
A 9/10 all day long for me. One of the best shows over the last couple of years IMO. Final 2 episodes are probably the best of the series.

Special mentions for Andrea Riseborough and Dane DeHaan...and of course fantastic soundtrack from Mogwai.

However probably one not to watch with wife and/or kids. It gets incredibly violent.
Wives should be okay, kids not so much.

The amount of blood I had to watch falling out the backs of people's heads was definitely unprecedented.

And yeah, I think it's about 50/50 as far as individual episodes being an 8 or a 9. Half of them were really good and half were great.

mjm2705

My soon to be 12 year old tells me that as he watches anime he should be able to handle this...

I added the Mogwai soundtrack to his Spotify library and told him to listen and imagine for a few more years yet ...

His mum now wants him (us) to stop watching anime...

Dad's ask is that we get to watch the conclusion of 'Attack on Titan' first 😂

Hampy1972

Distinguished Member
Watched it last summer..in my top of tv shows of 2020. Probably top 5 next to Valley of tears....

steviedr

Distinguished Member
First ep done. Impressive, great cast, beautifully shot, HLG is looking decent.
I’m listening with headphones, score is very immersive, an electronic haunting pulse, sound mix is great too.
Looking forward to this series.

Slinkywizard

There's a heck of a lot going on in the first two episodes I watched last night. But by the end of episode 2 it was all starting to gel with the major pieces on the board and their goals clear. This is OUTSTANDINGLY photographed. The cinematography is better than 90% of films I've watched. Reminds me of Deakins' work in Sicario. Just amazing.

It is — again — a terrific shame this is being shown on NOW TV. While the Boost does mean it is at least 1080p, the inexcusably low bitrate produces intolerable artefacts throughout, from stair-stepping to posterisation and more.

In terms of the actual show, though, I've been blown away by what I've seen so far. Big budget movie quality from start to finish. Based on first two eps, it's a 9/10 from me.

Earthscope

Absolutely blown away by the first two episode. Beautiful shot with a deep pulsating, driving electronic soundscape.
Best thing I have seen on TV in a long time. Just superb!
9/10 also from me.
Can‘t wait to binge watch the rest over the weekend...

OnTheFly

Picture quality. Wow.

Belzok

Superb opener and I'm going to try and not binge it to better savour the story unfolding.

hooray33

Really enjoying this but struggling with Hlg on my Lgc9. Must be down to black level setting which is low as standard but crushes the pic completely and high washes it out entirely.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Really enjoying this but struggling with Hlg on my Lgc9. Must be down to black level setting which is low as standard but crushes the pic completely and high washes it out entirely.
Ill check my setting tonight, have a C9 too but it looked fantastic. The cargo ship in ep2 looked amazing against the dark sky out at sea.

Toon Army

Thanks Tom - Downloading the HDR UHD version now and lined up as our next boxset.

Last edited:

steviedr

Distinguished Member
My black level is set to low as well, not seeing crushed blacks though.
On ep 4, main army guy had his black hair at top of screen, hitting black bar, part of his hair blended in with black bar, but I could see detail in others parts of his head/hair lower down, so assuming all good.Also seeing detail in Andreas black T-shirt/slightly lighter black jacket.

GT One

I watched Zero,Zero,Zero a few months ago on an Australian linear channel streaming service more out of curiosity than anything else, I was attracted to the show by seeing Gabriel Byrne billed as the main star.
Fortunately for me, the strength of Zero,Zero,Zero, was the fine scripting of well used organised crime tropes, anyone familiar with standard Mexican drug cartel story arcs will already be familiar with the graphic violence and sadistic themes, I did find it a little sad that Mexico with so many fine latino actors and world class film makers make production lines of these type of drug cartel shows, but happily this series is an exceptional one being made to a high standard using international locations courtesy of a bigger budget and the quality of the main stars.
My main gripe is that the Italian sequences did become an unwanted distraction on occasion, but if you can keep up with the transitioning lives and eventual fate of the shows characters the concluding part of this series fits together reasonably well, ending with a final scene teaser of perhaps more Zero,Zero,Zero to come.
I give this show a rating of 7 out of 10. My binge watch rating is 8 out of 10.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Cool, I'll give this a go tonight as we've just finished watching something else (the brilliant I May Destroy You) and need a new show to binge.

stewjoy

We finished last night. A 9 out of 10. Brilliant I liked the way it was put together, I usually don’t like going backwards and forward in time but it worked very well in this series. Picture brilliant, story brilliant. Give us more.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
We finished last night. A 9 out of 10. Brilliant I liked the way it was put together, I usually don’t like going backwards and forward in time but it worked very well in this series. Picture brilliant, story brilliant. Give us more.
I sort of hope they don't give us more.

Not of those characters, anyway. I feel like telling a story that elaborate for a second season with them would stretch credibility a little too far - you don't want it to move into Jack Bauer territory.

Now, if they did a Fargo and gave us a jump back in time 30 years to Don Minu and Edward Lynwood and maybe the Leyras father coming together... that I would be interested in seeing.

jasante

Standard Member
I cancelled my Now Tv subscription and from the sounds of this thread looks like I will need to set it up again.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
That reminds me, I never saw season 4 of Fargo, but recall it wasn’t well received compared to earlier seasons.

And what happened to Sicario 3, it was a given that’s gone dark..I know it didn’t top the original but I’m I want to see how the story moved on.

Im only 4 eps in on this, loving the cinematic style, the Brian de Palma crane shots (via a drone :) )

stewjoy

I like the idea of Don Minu and Ed Lynwood. But leave Jack Bauer alone.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021