Zero Upload Speed

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by Nanor, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Nanor

Nanor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Been having problems over the last few days. I've run a few speed tests and have been getting a max download speed of around 1 Mb (on 10Mb) but the upload test has timed out! I've tried restarting the modem, taking the router out of the equation and connecting to a few different PCs, all with no difference. XBox live and PSN have been a no no and I haven't been able to get on for my weekly online meet ups.

At the moment surfing the web is almost impossible with frequent server timeouts and, if pages do load, the service is running at a crawl.

This seems to be happening for most of the evening and only goes back to 'normal' (getting at best 7Mb with 512Kb ish upload) after midnight. I've not had the time or inclination to phone yet so sent an email off to their 'support' line. Will phone them tomorrow if I don't hear back from them.

Getting pee'd off with Virgin. Never had a problem on blueyonder but have had massive fluctuations in download speed with Virgin since being 'upgraded' to 10Mb.

I am aware of their traffic management policy and generally schedule downloads for after midnight so shouldn't be affected by traffic management but I rarely get a consistent speed above 5Mb. If I don't get some improvement in service I'll be sacrificing my V+ box and ditching all of their services. Such a shame as I've had nothing but good experiences of telewest and now the service, for me at least, has gone to the dogs....

2. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    could be a fault with router or virgin side you best off ringing them because there be a fault somewere and we cant do elwt about it

3. Nanor

Nanor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I will be ringing them, have just been too tired when getting in from work. It's not the router as I've taken that out of the equation and connected directly to the modem and restarted it, made no difference.

What confuses me is that the service speeds are back to normal after midnight and have only been awful from early evening onwards....

4. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    might be something on there side then

5. Nanor

Nanor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Received a new modem today as support reckoned this was the problem, it seems to have resolved my upload issues but my woeful download speeds now in the region of 0.5 Mb (for a 10 Mb connection) persist. Today I had this speed for most of the day, it'll probably go back up to about 8Mb around midnight, it normally seems to. My download monitor tells me I've downloaded a whole 100MB today, no excuse for traffic management.

I phoned support explained the situation, explained I had taken the router out of the equation and was still getting woeful download speeds on multiple PCs. The operator first said I was definitely getting 'great connection speeds', I insisted I was not and was put on hold, she came back and stated I was getting my full connection speed. When I asked if 1/20th of the advertised speed was the 'full connection speed' she again put me on hold. She then came back and told me there was work in the area and I should have been informed and would be informed when it was finished and should expect a phone call.

I asked how long this 'work' had been going on for, she had no answer. I then said I have been having these issues for about 6 weeks and she said that the work had been going on for six weeks. She could not explain why, if this work was impacting upon service speeds, it was not listed on their service status.

Was obviously getting nowhere, she wanted me off the phone and didn't give a flying flip about my problem. To fob me off with vagaries about 'work' going on in the area for an unspecified time is an insult to my intelligence. I've sent another email complaining about this and will try phoning within office hours to see if I can get through to someone more competent. Starting to loose patience and it may well be bye bye Virgin if this continues much longer.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009