Zensor 1 Vs concept 20 Vs q100

Andanotherthing

I know, I know, auditioning is the best way, but I'd love to hear what the general consensus is.

Room is about 16.5m squared (3.5 X 4.5) and the main seating position is about 9.5 ft from the speakers.

Sub is Dali e9f (and won't be driven hard as in a flat). Rears will be Dali Pico. Fronts will be either:
Dali zensor 1
Q acoustics concept 20
Kef q100.

I'm looking to go without a centre - have been running my Pico's as a front pair happily, and the unit for the TV doesn't really take a centre speaker.
Usage will be a mix of films / TV / music (mainly Spotify, bit of YouTube - I enjoy most genres, the XX, french Montana, Dave Santana, major lazer, Agnes obel) and ps4/Xbox.
All connected to a Yamaha a1050, and ideally sound good at low volumes too

Which pair would you run at the front?

Thanks for your help!

Member 778069

Of The 3 pairs I would put the Zensor 1 as most enjoyable to listen o with a Yamaha amp. I’ve found the Concept 20 only sound at their best with some serious power put into them, otherwise they can sound a bit flat.

The Q100 are a little on the lively side for my tastes, but these are just my onions.
Russell - Audible Fidelity

davidf

Previously davidf
As you're running without a centre, I can highly recommend the KEF Q series, although I'd look at the new models, as they're quite a step up quality wise over the old ones. KEF's UniQ array lends itself perfectly to AV as it can produce more accurate placement of effects, as well as better ambient sound fields. This will also help with having no centre, as the UniQ array works better than most conventional speakers when sitting off axis.

In the past, I've always found KEF and Yamaha to work extremely well together, and of all combinations I've heard, it would be my personal choice based on pure enjoyment of movies.

Andanotherthing

Thanks guys, really appreciated.
After having a look at your site and the toys you have to hand, I definitely respect your onions Russell, but then Davidf is distinguished no less, so have to respect his well written reply too.

Oh man, two great responses, maybe I'll get one of each haha.

Member 778069

It may, or may not help to say that i'm coming at this from a more HiFi / music perspective.

Also, in day to day life I'm a very distinguished gentlemen :)

davidf

Previously davidf
And myself, unless I state that I'm coming from purely a music angle, or purely a home theatre angle, my comments/recommendations/views take into account both sides, as most tend to listen to music on their AV system unless they have a dedicated man cave, which are more often than not purely used for movie viewing.

And I'm going grey (very grey beard) - can't get more distinguished than that.

Andanotherthing

Thankyou distinguished gents of avforums. I'm currently at beard level grey flecks, so not too long before I get full distinguished membership haha.

Very helpful to know about the music angle, music is important to me so thanks.

Head is saying go Dali zensor 1 - you've already got a supporting cast of Pico's and e9f, and you think music with the Pico's and the sub sounds alright, so the zensors would be the safe upgrade.

Heart is saying try lively.

Will sleep on it and pull trigger by Friday.

Thanks again gents

Member 778069

I started to go grey at 14... Thanks dad.

Might be slightly boring advice but, it is always best to try and demo if you can, maybe even get a home demo if you have a local dealer.

Andanotherthing

Gambled and went with zensor 1.
Very happy with them.
Very nice playing music from Spotify through them.
The only time I've been less impressed has been the theme tune to orange is the new black via netflix, a bit thin and shrilly, I'll put it down to the way it's mixed ha, but everything else put a big smile on the face, and happy to go a bit greyer listening to them.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom