1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zen Micro Bitrate (and more)

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by nvzblmn, Aug 2, 2005.

1. nvzblmn

nvzblmn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,
    been lurking here for a while but not I have some question...
    So i'm planning to pick up a Zen Micro 5gb soon (on account of finding out about 'napster to go' accounts which let you transfer unlimited mp3s to certain mp3 players for a monthly fee)
    and had a couple of questions about the player...

I have read reviews and such, and heard about problems such as touch pad sensitivity decreasing over time, and the headphone jack crapping out over time as well. Is there any other major problems that are common knowledge (except to me.) that I shoud know about?

Also, with the average 12,50 songs at 128kbps MP3, or 2,500 songs at 64kbps, I am really interested in getting (around) 2500 songs at 64kbps; except my music collection of wma files is all in 128kpbs format. I am wondering how I would go about changing the format down. Would the software with the mp3 player let me do this, or do I need to download something off the internet? If the latter, any suggestions for programs? (Also I am wondering if people do or don't ever do this... is 64kbps quite a loss in music quality?

Tthhaannkkss in advance, and sorry for the big post.

2. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,967
    Welcome to the forums mate :hiya:
    For me there is a big difference in sound quality between 64 and 128 and I wouldn't personally go so low as 64. I'm not sure if the software that comes with the Zen allows you to do this easily, but you could download iTunes for free (if you have windows xp) and change the bit rates very easily using that software. You could then listen to the difference between the 2 bitrates on a few tracks before you get the player. I would make a copy of the original before you re-encode them at 64 as you can't get the quality back by converting to 128 again afterwards.

3. flangemonkey

flangemonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Are you guys nuts?!

Anything less than 128Kbps is totally unacceptable in terms of sound quality (and even then 128 is pretty poor IMO).

The Creative line of players reproduce sound very well, and giving them low bitrate tracks is a bit of an insult to the sound quality they can produce if allowed IMO...

If you really must compress even further than 128kbps, then I really wouldn't re-compress already compressed tracks...you're asking for trouble...

The track has already been heavily compressed, so you will have lost a great deal of fidelity already, recompressing again is going to make the track sound awful...honestly.

The best thing to do is either buy a unit with a higher capacity (so you can store a high number of tracks at an acceptable sound quality) or use Windows Media again to compress the ORIGINAL sources, NOT the already compressed versions, to a low bitrate.

WMA (even though I hate to say it) does sound better than MP3 at low bitrates...go over 160, though and MP3 steals the show...

If you really have no other choice other than to recompress already compressed tracks, then don't bother with iTunes for stuff like this, use a dedicated encoding tool like dbPowerAmp (with the WMA plugin for low bitrate stuff, or the LAME plugin for higher bitrates).

Personally, I use EAC and LAME with --alt-preset standard for all my own ripping. High quality tracks, indistinguishable from their sources...

I have a Creative Zen Touch 40Gb, with 4500 tracks on it, and I still have over 15Gb free...

4. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I have a Zen Micro with E2c phones ( soon to be replaced by the Dark Grey E4's). BTW, this is my 2nd micro as the 1st was replaced due to headphone jack gradually becoming loose - after 3 months of use!) If it happens again then Im not going to replace it with another Zen Micro.....

Re: Bitrates. Dont use anything less than 192kbs min MP3. Anything lower really sounds poor in my opinion.

Regards,

GJC