1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zen hard disk problem

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Northern Monkey, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Northern Monkey

Northern Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Help- I've dropped my Zen extra and although it was not from a great height and it had its protective case on, it now refuses to work. It kicks into recovery mode and then when you try to select anyhing it just says "hard disk problem".

Questions:

1. Is there annything I can do to fix it?

2. If not can I get it repaired anywhere?

3. It is under warranty- if I send it back to Creative will it be obvious that the reason it is not working is because I dropped it ??

Any thoughts gratefully received.

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I'd suggest you send it back for repair. If it's been dropped in a protective case and there is no physical damage, I suppose you could argue that counts are fair use... (although I wouldn't mention that it's been dropped).

3. Northern Monkey

Northern Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If anyone else ever has this problem- based on a suggestion on the forums on the Creative website, before resorting to returning it to manufacturer for repair I tried giving it a short sharp slap on a hard surface.

This has worked a treat. It seems that when you drop these the hard drive can "get stuck" somehow and it just needs another knock to get it moving again. None of the data seems to have been lost and the player seems back to normal in every respect.