ZBOX AD02 V Revo 3700 V Foxconn NT-A3500?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by PerfectBlue97, Jan 8, 2012.

1. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I'm looking to buy a small form factor media center PC to use either Boxee or XBMC on.

I thought that I'd narrowed it down to two potential models

The Revo 3700, or the Foxconn NT-A3500 bare bones kit.

But I've come across a third model that sounds good, too. The Zotac zBox AD02.

It's supposed to have the same CPU and graphics chip as the NT-A3500, and it's stocked by a couple of big companies whereas the NT-A3500 only seems to be being sold by small outfits in the UK.

Is the zBox worth a look or is it just a cheap import?

2. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi I own Zbox replaced my Revo 3610 its noticably faster than my old Revo, adding hdd and memorey was two thumb screws and slide off case.
    Better looking than revo IMO and seams well built plus the amd chip has lower power consumption and is faster than current intel ION chipsets.
    So from someone who has owned revo and Zbox my choice is Zbox.
    Ebuyer sell the Zbox I wouldn't call them small :)

3. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks.

How about noise for the zBox?

Have you had any problems with it at all, which OS are you running, and trouble with getting it to see your hardware?

When I was talking about small sellers, I was only really thinking of for the Revo and the Foxconn. Bads sells the ZBox, and they are pretty big in the UK.

4. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The fan as default is set to 100% in bios which is easily changed to smart mode and is hardly ever audible once set to smart mode.I use it for downloading, internet, office 2010 etc
    It doesnt come with any windows monitoring software so I installed speedfan which gives smart hdd readings and temps fan speed etc
    I am using Windows 7 x64 and it picked up all except usb 3.0 drivers but they come with the cd. I did download latest amd graphics drivers which bumped up windows experience graphics rating by .1.

5. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,488
    Fan noise is not noticable (quieter than my Revo 3610) and the green light can be shut off in Bios as well. I haven't tweaked the fan setting in bios but may try this, because I can (cheers Evolution 400!).

No real problems as long as you set up the graphics driver properly (set the screen res and refresh rate for all your screen settings), there are plenty guides on t'web and its really not a huge hassle. This is the only 'tweak' I had to do to get XBMC running smooth.Mine is connected to a Sony Bravia EX503. I had a cheapish 64 Gb SSD and use that for my OS, with my media on a separate NAS. WOL works very well, better than my Revo which has always had WOL problems. WOL is important to me as I use my Iphone/Pad as the controller, no keyboard/mouse, apart from set up and occasional maintenance use. Its on my lounge system so has to be SWIMBO friendly. I loaded Avast and as my AV and Chrome as browser for updates etc.

I'm running win 7 pro so it boots straight into XBMC, which is an easy set up. I'm now using the latest Eden Beta and Transparency skin and its pretty slick. In retrospect I might have tried Openelec before I loaded the Win 7 license, but it wasn't ready when I put my system together last Autumn.

I primarily used this model to take advantage of HD audio as the board supports this, but its not in the stock XBMC at the moment. Everything else is tickety boo and I'm pretty chuffed with the wee Zotac, definitely worth a look IMO.

I use uncompressed Bluray (40 Gb) and DVd (6 Gb) rips from MakeMKV (ripped on another machine) and have no problems playing them on the Zotac, Revo, or my WDTV Live for that matter.