Zappiti - Users thoughts and info please

This sounds like it's causing you a headache shauny.

By the sounds of you do not have lan access but wish to put the movies on to external hard disks and then play them from the dune right?

Could you please do a little structure of what you are trying to acheive

ie

Dune > USB external drive fopr movies
Dune > Internal HDD for MKV's

etc

Your test is very long and a bit of a headache for me to read.

I am by m=no means an expert as I was the one asking the questions in the first place here. If I can help I will though.
Dune

HI all please please any help on this going crazy
many thanks
Benitez1
Have you read through the very good manual for setting up Zappiti that can be found Here?
With 2 HDD's you will need to add absolute path to your setup that can be a bit tricky to get right, but the guys on MPC Club are very helpful if you need more help than is in the setup manual linked to above.

Mark.

This sounds like it's causing you a headache shauny.

By the sounds of you do not have lan access but wish to put the movies on to external hard disks and then play them from the dune right?

Could you please do a little structure of what you are trying to acheive

ie

Dune > USB external drive fopr movies
Dune > Internal HDD for MKV's

etc

Your test is very long and a bit of a headache for me to read.

I am by m=no means an expert as I was the one asking the questions in the first place here. If I can help I will though.
Dune

Thanks Sex
Heres the set up i want to use
1hdd external connected via usb full of movies MKVS, dvd, bluyrays should only have to scrap once ,do i need to export the zappiti folders to this drive,

2nd hdd will be intenal and have movies ,mkvs,and tv series will have to scrape weekly or dalily

just need to know how to see all the movies and tv shows i scrape on the dune player ,,,
and will need a short cut on the dune think i need to use a usb pendrive for that dont know how yet .....

Idont have a network or smb the player is close enough to the pc to plug them in via usb slave and scrape both drives

just need to know what paths i need to put,,
call external usb hdd (E)
call internal Hdd (f) this one will have new movies and tv shows put on to it so will need to scrape this drive all the time

Hope this is clear enough for what im after if not please let me know
Cheers
Shaunyboy

Have you read through the very good manual for setting up Zappiti that can be found Here?
With 2 HDD's you will need to add absolute path to your setup that can be a bit tricky to get right, but the guys on MPC Club are very helpful if you need more help than is in the setup manual linked to above.

Mark.

Cheers Mark
ive read that over and over again it seems that its aimed at people with networks and as i dont have a network its seems so confusing ive posted on mpc club and else where but still no closer to any help i must be so dumb...lol
the drives will be Formatted To NTFS which dune now supports movies and tv shows already in place,,,on both HDDS.....
any help or advice would be great thanks
Shaunboy

I will plug in my usb drive and put a few temp files on it to see what paths are needed in zappiti. It may work if it does I will let you know.

I will plug in my usb drive and put a few temp files on it to see what paths are needed in zappiti. It may work if it does I will let you know.

Cheers Sex
that would be great thanks and the paths for an internal drive hdd if you have one installed
many thanks
Shaunyboy

Cheers Sex
that would be great thanks and the paths for an internal drive hdd if you have one installed
many thanks
Shaunyboy
Hi Sex did you get a chance to plug in the external hdd and paths
thanks sorry to sound pushy
cheers again
Shaunyboy

Sorry shaun played around for about half an hour last night.

Plugged a usb stick in and put a movie on it. Could get it to find it in zappiti but it wouldnt play.

Tried all manner of prefis strings but now joy.

What a rat bag :(

Anyone who know how to get this working it would be most appreciated here as sooner or later I'm going to need an external drive or internal drive on the unit.

Sorry shaun played around for about half an hour last night.

Plugged a usb stick in and put a movie on it. Could get it to find it in zappiti but it wouldnt play.

Tried all manner of prefis strings but now joy.

What a rat bag :(

Anyone who know how to get this working it would be most appreciated here as sooner or later I'm going to need an external drive or internal drive on the unit.

Cheers sex
just sombody come to our rescue
many thanks again
Shaunyboy

Ok, hope this helps you guys

I have 4 USB drives plugged straight into my Dune and in Zappiti my config looks like this:

Folder Path:
\\DUNE\Drive_name\Movies

(where "Drive_name" is the name of the shared drive when seen by mapping via SMB)

Absolute Path:
storage_name://Drive_name/Movies

I worked this out by creating a shortcut on the Dune main page to a movie and checking its properties via the popup menu

Works a treat for me

Last edited:
Ok, hope this helps you guys

I have 4 USB drives plugged straight into my Dune and in Zappiti my config looks like this:

Folder Path:
\\DUNE\Drive_name\Movies

(where "Drive_name" is the name of the shared drive when seen by mapping via SMB)

Absolute Path:
storage_name://Drive_name/Movies

I worked this out by creating a shortcut on the Dune main page to a movie and checking its properties via the popup menu

Works a treat for me

Thanks sniffer
i dont have smb or any type of network to connect so i dont think this will help
any more advice would be great thanks
Shaunyboy

I'm struggling with the "Absolute path". My movies are stored on an internal hdd on the Dune. What should I put as the path?

If you only have the one HDD then just leave the Absolute Path empty - I have all my media on an unRAID server that shows all my HDD's as a single device and so Zappiti has no absolute path set and can still play all my files.

Mark.

hi everyone,

I am a complete noob in the movie jukeboxworld and I installed Zappiti for the first time.

“ You need to specify the “Rewrite absolute path when exporting”. This will tell Zappiti how the Dune will play back the video files. ”

Okay, here I am having problems: layout of my equpment:

my movies are stored on a 2T external drive, connected by USB to the Dune Smart B1. Another external 1T drive is used for series. Both external drives are directly connected to my Dune by USB, I am not using any network.

How shuoud I define this absolute path and is it possible to use Zappiti for several external drives at the same time? How should this be defined? Do I need an extra USB thumb stick?

thx in advance!

Beze

How shuoud I define this absolute path and is it possible to use Zappiti for several external drives at the same time? How should this be defined? Do I need an extra USB thumb stick?
Have a look at post 2 of this thread where I linked to the English setup guide that will hopefully point you in the right direction.
Zappiti with absolute paths set can access media on as many USB HDD's as you want.
You only need to add a USB flash drive if you want system storage which is required to add a Zappiti shortcut to the main scren of the Dune. It is also required for BD Live.

Mark.

Have a look at post 2 of this thread where I linked to the English setup guide that will hopefully point you in the right direction.
Zappiti with absolute paths set can access media on as many USB HDD's as you want.
You only need to add a USB flash drive if you want system storage which is required to add a Zappiti shortcut to the main scren of the Dune. It is also required for BD Live.

Mark.

Thx but after all that struggeling I decided to use Yadis which workt fine. Somehow I couldn't configure Zappiti the right way.

Hi,

I am getting a HDI Dune Smart D1 tomorrow and I am in the process of trying to set up my library to run Zappiti on it. I have a setup where I will be streaming mostly bluray video from three hard drives, one internal and two usb drives all attached to the same computer on my network. Now I have some questions that I am not too sure on. I started setting up my first drive with zappiti and it seems pretty easy. The problem I have is with where the database goes. I am not sure if there is going to be one universal datase that will be setup somewhere like on a usb drive attached to the dune or will each hard drive hold the databse for what it has on it? What I was also wondering is what if some point I decide to move the internal drive to a ubs drive? Do I have to change anything to get it to work on the Dune? Does the database reside on the hardrive so all I have to do is point the dune to the database? What if i move the drives to a new computer or change the drive letter? I am really fuzzy on how to setup the entire thing so that Dune will see. Also, is there any way to setup a rating system to work in Zappiti? I have kids in the house and I need to know if the movie is G, PG, PG-13, or R. I have been placing the rating at the end of the name but it would be really nice if it was pulled in with the metadata. Am I the only one who wants to have a rating system or need one?

Thanks for all the help
Chris

Just out of interest what mbit network are people using with the dune. Will 100mb be ample for bd iso's?. I cound get a gig switch but that would be more expense. I'm not too experienced with 1080p transfers over a lan so any input would be appreciated although that would take this topic off...

Hi. I've a Gb network (Router, PC & NAS) and have also enabled the 'experimental' Gb on my Dune Max. Ripping DVD's directly from my PC to the Dune takes approx 8 mins and a BD around 40mins from a 4x BD read drive (the speed is probably actually limited by my drive rather than the network/Dune).

I haven't timed actual file transfer speeds as I just set a large selection to transfer overnight when I have needed to.

I went for the Max as it does everything I wanted from a media player right now plus there are expansion ports for future modules (e.g. satellite). You will also be able to upgrade the main board when a higher specc'd one is available should you wish so it is fairly future proof but at a premium.

*Edit - sorry have inadvertantly replied to a very old post!

Last edited:
I am getting a HDI Dune Smart D1 tomorrow and I am in the process of trying to set up my library to run Zappiti on it. I have a setup where I will be streaming mostly bluray video from three hard drives, one internal and two usb drives all attached to the same computer on my network. Now I have some questions that I am not too sure on.
With a bit of luck This excellent guide to setting up HDD access in Zappiti will answer many of your questions :)

Mark.

I need some help. I just set up zappiti to see the movies on one of my 3 hard drives. I happen to install zappiti on the computer that had the three drives attached by usb. They will be shared across the network with my Dune Smart D1. The problem is that I set all the movies form one drive up and the are referencing the drive as F:/bluray however I just realized that on the network the drive is known as \\Sniper-pc\movie 2\bluray. Now all my movies are not being recognized. How do I change the path so it is correct? I tried to change the path in the edit window of zappiti for each disc but I cannot. No matter what I type the original path stays and if I try to navigate I have to select an actual file not the bluray folder that is holding my movie. Is there anything I can do or are they all lost? Does this mean that if I change the drive letter or location on the network, the files will have to be done over?

Unless you've actually moved the files from one loaction to another you should be able to resolve this by filing in the absolute paths (where you originally tell Zappiti where your movies and series' are).

I struggled with this myself and got a good tip from Mark here. Just create a shortcut to your USB drive onto your Dune's desktop and then open up the shortcut's info and you will see the absolute file path that is required by Zappiti.

HTH

Unless you've actually moved the files from one loaction to another you should be able to resolve this by filing in the absolute paths (where you originally tell Zappiti where your movies and series' are).

I struggled with this myself and got a good tip from Mark here. Just create a shortcut to your USB drive onto your Dune's desktop and then open up the shortcut's info and you will see the absolute file path that is required by Zappiti.

HTH

Will this work if I have multiple drives? Can I set the absolute for each drive? I will try that but right now I can't get dune to see my drives. They are attached to a win 7 64 bit machine via usb. I have three usb and one internal. I see nothing. I can see the computer on the network but when I explore it is an empty. Any ideas? Can anyone tell me how to do a rating system, G, PG, PG-13, R , IN ZAPPITI? I have kids and need to know what movie rating is before I play. I thought about adding the rating to end of the movie name on the folder but then it screws the automatic scan up and I have to scrape everything.

Last edited:
Will this work if I have multiple drives? Can I set the absolute for each drive?
Yes, and Yes
I will try that but right now I can't get dune to see my drives. They are attached to a win 7 64 bit machine via usb. I have three usb and one internal. I see nothing. I can see the computer on the network but when I explore it is an empty. Any ideas?
Have you set the shares on the HDD's or folders. Without sharing them then the Dune does not have the rights to access them so you would just see the PC but nothing that is stored on it.
Can anyone tell me how to do a rating system, G, PG, PG-13, R , IN ZAPPITI? I have kids and need to know what movie rating is before I play. I thought about adding the rating to end of the movie name on the folder but then it screws the automatic scan up and I have to scrape everything.
AFAIK you can't. Zappiti was never designed for parental controls over the films, but simply to give a media jukebox for ease of playing your films. You could just see what the rating of the film is by using a cover with the cert rating on it - or even add it to the cover manually in Photoshop etc.
edit: another thought on the rating of films - create a group for child friendly films and another for the more adult content films.

Mark.

Last edited:
Yes, and Yes

Have you set the shares on the HDD's or folders. Without sharing them then the Dune does not have the rights to access them so you would just see the PC but nothing that is stored on it.

AFAIK you can't. Zappiti was never designed for parental controls over the films, but simply to give a media jukebox for ease of playing your films. You could just see what the rating of the film is by using a cover with the cert rating on it - or even add it to the cover manually in Photoshop etc.
edit: another thought on the rating of films - create a group for child friendly films and another for the more adult content films.

Mark.

I have my drives shared on network and was able to stream to my older sagetv unit. Permissions sfr set to everyone.

If I move a drive from internal to usb will absolute path fix problems with zappiti not finding files?

In terms of parental, I did not want it to "parental control" I just wanted it to show so I know rating. I thought about making kid friendly categories. It is probably the best bet.

..In terms of parental, I did not want it to "parental control" I just wanted it to show so I know rating. I thought about making kid friendly categories. It is probably the best bet.
I've just added the rating in brackets to the end of the film title :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom