Zappiti Signature or Reference?

MJ81

I’m looking to purchase one of the new line of Zappiti players and I’m really looking for the best quality for my needs. The difference in cost between the signature and reference models is nearly double, however the physical differences between the two are not huge.

I propose to use the main hdmi output from the zappiti to my trinnov, from there the video will be taken to an Envy Extreme video processor then on to a JVC NZ8. Taken the level of processing in the chain is it worth going with the signature over the reference.

I can see the main differences are upgraded DACs, however the audio will remain digital before it is converted to analogue at the trinnov and I will never use the 2 channel audio outputs. I can see that the signature has a better audio processor but I assume this is tied to the DACS and won’t affect the digital signal to the trinnov. The only other variance is dual R core power unit in the signature over the toroidal in the reference. What difference in quality will the signature give me over the reference for my needs and the chain of processing in place?

Could really use some advice from someone who has experience of zappiti products and clearly understands the specifications.

I won’t be looking at alternatives so no alternative options are needed.

Thanks in advance

Manmc

I think the Reference would be a good fit if you're sure about going digital from HDMI. The main difference as you say is the analogue section and power supply so if you don't need one you will save the price of a better power supply if you believe it necessary later on . My Reference has been rock-solid and plays everything it should very well . No audio or video dropouts .

M

MJ81

I think the Reference would be a good fit if you're sure about going digital from HDMI. The main difference as you say is the analogue section and power supply so if you don't need one you will save the price of a better power supply if you believe it necessary later on . My Reference has been rock-solid and plays everything it should very well . No audio or video dropouts .

M
If I go analogue then it’s only stereo two channel. I would have no other way of getting the audio to my av processor other than the HDMI.

I’ve been reading about about the types of files created when ripping. What’s your preference MKV or M2TS?

Manmc

I do have some MKVs that I made when I used Plex but nowadays I rip to ISO then you have a backup of the entire disc. The Reference should play whatever file type you prefer. If you want to do Atmos now or later you have to use HDMI . Analogue Outs , if present ,would only get you up to 5.1 or 7.1 .

M

MJ81

I do have some MKVs that I made when I used Plex but nowadays I rip to ISO then you have a backup of the entire disc. The Reference should play whatever file type you prefer. If you want to do Atmos now or later you have to use HDMI . Analogue Outs , if present ,would only get you up to 5.1 or 7.1 .

M
What software do you use to give you the iso file. Assuming the iso is a one to one copy of everything on the disk? How and where is a backup stored? Sorry new to this!

mb3195

Distinguished Member
What software do you use to give you the iso file. Assuming the iso is a one to one copy of everything on the disk? How and where is a backup stored? Sorry new to this!
ISO can be ripped via different software, I’m using the Zappiti nasrip as it’s a very easy turnkey solution, but the quality is identical to mkv, which you can also us to do full disc copies if you want.

Manmc

Its a Zappiti NAS HDR SE that I use so everything needed is built in but , usually , either AnydvdHD or Dvd Fab are the softwares recommended for backing up . You will find discussion and recommendations over at Videohelp . You can either store on hard drives within the Reference or if you have or aspire to own a NAS you can store there .

M

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom