Zappiti Pro 4K HDR (Direct Mode, Low Noise Power Supply)

Reaction score
The French company is about ot release its first high end player, the Zappiti Pro 4K HDR model.

Compared to other releases, this ones sports a low noise power supply, dual HDD trays (up to 32TB in storage), 6.35mm headphone jack and a direct output mode that should enhance both video and audio by by-passing unwanted processing.
It is expected during June.

What chipset is it based upon?

No official word yet but it should arrive with a Realtek SoC.
Yeah a no brainer that it is Realtek but if it is just the 1295/1296 then yawn.

A few months back they did tell me that they were working on a new model for later this year. My hope is that anything new is on a newer chipset otherwise situation normal and nothing much to see.

We should not expect media players with the new Realtek SoC earlier than April 2020...

Link updated with new photos of the new features and official product link.
The selection of supported resolutions in the direct out setting is impressive.

The selection of supported resolutions in the direct out setting is impressive.

Well they would be if they actually worked! Typical Zappiti first beta.

One added feature that is genuinely interesting on a media player is the Zero signal port for attaching a sync cable to a receiver. Presumably this works like Denon link and attempts to sync the audio clocks.

Thanks for the write up but are you sure source direct bypasses magic pixel?

To quote...”In addition, the amazing new function Direct Output can be personalized to match your display. For instance, if your TV or projector is not compatible with SD interlaced resolutions, you can ignore 480i / 576i resolutions. And if your front projector is not compatible with 4K resolution, you can ignore it! This unique function in the world provides the best flexibily possible for the best picture quality that your home theater deserves! With Zappiti Direct Output, Zappiti MagicPixel 5 pushes the frontiers of picture quality innovation!”

ZAPPITI PRO 4K HDR

Well, i think so. I even confirmed with Zappiti that there is no additional processing.

The image was (slightly) different from the default one and practically identical with the original source image of an HTPC.
By the time of my tests i believe that there was no mention of the magicpixel "5". If i find time i will check again (especially if they updated their software in beteween)

Last edited:
I reconfirmed with Zappiti that there is no processing when on video direct mode.
Magic pixel 5 was just a marketing thing...

The 25min presentation video is now uploaded.

Thanks a lot for your review.

Yes thank you, a lot of work went into that.

The selection of the 1295 rather than 1296 chipset is a strange one. Particularly since both are well developed now and soon to be superseded anyway.

It’s clear the internals are superior to what came before but does it all translate into noticeably superior PQ or audio. I’d guess probably not.

Yes thank you, a lot of work went into that.

The selection of the 1295 rather than 1296 chipset is a strange one. Particularly since both are well developed now and soon to be superseded anyway.

It’s clear the internals are superior to what came before but does it all translate into noticeably superior PQ or audio. I’d guess probably not.
Pq on all these unit are tradeable with 1295/96 soc (zidoo , zap -dune) there are no major differences, it's just kind of money grabbing thing with all these devices they are releasing :thumbsdow nothing new under the sun. I compared a while ago the zap one, with a zidoo x10, a zidoo x20pro and a Dune pro hd all the same Pq and in operating features pretty much the same instabilty as a gift from the manufacters ;), just skip these and wait for the new chip that can handle DV, HDR10+ , HLG and all the newest codecs.
Only thing worth mentioning the Zap is king in his Home theatre app , They nailed it:thumbsup:

Hi everyone,

Do the Zapitti 4K players have the same issues as the Dune 4K Pro regarding dropped frames in 23p in 12bits 4:4:4, banding in 12bits 4:2:2 and no HDR metadata passthrough with BD/UHD folders? Thanks!

Also can you IP control them the way you can control a Dune?

Finally, anyone using them with MyMovies CM to create the title metadata, and does it work well with the Zapitti interface?

EDIT: looks like they don’t support full BD/UHD BD menus, so I guess that rules them out for my use.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Zappiti does support BD/UHD menus. Support is not foolproof but improving.

Zappiti and Dune are both based on the Realtek 1295 chip so playback performance is similar. It is more than a year since I last had a Dune and firmware must have moved on by now but usage was far more problematic than the Zappiti.

You can control the Zap over your network from a PC/Mac.

Does this player play Atmos sound of MKV 4K hdr Rips, like does turn on Atmos label on your AVR? Or does it convert Atmos into PCM likewise Plex app does on Apple TV ?

Your feedback would be appreciated, I am confused in buying Kaleidescape Strato or this player, as this is three time less in price, I will go with it if it does same Job with same quality of sound and video. Don’t mind doing 4K Blu-ray rips and than sell off physical discs after ripping them on Zappiti hard drive.

Yes it will pass Atmos to your AVR. Whilst it has some apparently superior components to the sister One SE, I’ll wager my lunch money that there is no material difference in audio or video quality over the One which is much cheaper. All the same chipset.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom