Quantcast

Zappiti One SE 4K HDR Media Player Review & Comments

steelman1991

I dont think any Zappiti's do - sadly few reviews test for it.

This recent review for the Zappiti Pro 4k showed the problem

Thanks - I knew they didn't, that's why I asked the question. Thought/hoped with a new version, they may have managed it.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Thanks - I knew they didn't, that's why I asked the question. Thought/hoped with a new version, they may have managed it.
No forced subs in MKV but it will do them off full BDMV rips. It’s a limitation of the 1295 chipset and that will be solved in the next series on a newer chipset. They’ve always blamed Realtek for this and the later1296 does support forced subs in MKV. Presumably the next iteration of Zappiti will be based around the 1619.

steelman1991

No forced subs in MKV but it will do them off full BDMV rips. It’s a limitation of the 1295 chipset and that will be solved in the next series on a newer chipset. They’ve always blamed Realtek for this and the later1296 does support forced subs in MKV. Presumably the next iteration of Zappiti will be based around the 1619.
Doh - stupidly assumed this was the next iteration :facepalm: . Should have done some more investigative work before posting. Yes I have a Zidoo with the 1296 chip, which happily recognises and displays as expected. Thanks :smashin:

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Doh - stupidly assumed this was the next iteration :facepalm: . Should have done some more investigative work before posting. Yes I have a Zidoo with the 1296 chip, which happily recognises and displays as expected. Thanks :smashin:
Yep this model has been out for yonks. Nice but surprising to see a review turn up now.

Looking forward to the next Zap model, hopefully this year.

buximze

Standard Member
I have an Odroid N2. It’s promising being Linux based and running CoreElec, but for me is not ready

1. No ISO menus for DVD/BD/UHD
2. No support for frame-packed 3D BD ISO’s
3. crashes when trying to play DVD ISO’s at native resolution, having whitelisted 480/576 in Kodi
4. audio bit streaming of HD audio very buggy.

On latest 9.2.1 build. In theory the above are do-able , but it depends how slow the development will be. No new release fir last couple months for example, and support posts in the Forum for 3. Above ignored.
yes there's no support (yet) for ISO'S if i remember correctly, i only play remuxes so thats not my goal (for that the way to go is the oppo clone! with the dolby vision bonus!) about the HDaudio mine plays everything i throw at him.... atmos, dtsx truehd dtshd dd etc... did you tried the nightly build?

Coulson

yes there's no support (yet) for ISO'S if i remember correctly, i only play remuxes so thats not my goal (for that the way to go is the oppo clone! with the dolby vision bonus!) about the HDaudio mine plays everything i throw at him.... atmos, dtsx truehd dtshd dd etc... did you tried the nightly build?
As you said the oppo clone is the best box, but only as long as you don't want library management. It supports just about every format including DV.

scrowe

I'
I've not worked out how. In the CoreElec settings where you can subscribe to updates, there only ever comes up with one repository to download from. HD audio I often get no sound at all, when set to Audio passthru (bitstream). If I go into the audio during playback and switch to DD5.1 or stereo, sound plays, I switch back to HD audio silence. When I first got it, it worked fine, I think I just assumed the 9.2.1 update then broke something which its been stuck on ever since. When I realised it didn't do ISO menus or 3D frame-packed, I reverted back to using the Dune 4K pro and relegated the Odroid to my bedroom.

scrowe

As you said the oppo clone is the best box, but only as long as you don't want library management. It supports just about every format including DV.
This is the problem, every choice means compromising something. I was on the last Oppo-clone pre-order list, and at the last minute opted out, because I realised it would 'never' be able to create a Netflix-style menu for browsing and playback, which is on my ultimate wishlist of features. I gambled on the infinitely cheaper Odroid, which still may come good, but also realised my Dune did an awful lot right already.

buximze

Standard Member
yeah, thats the only bummer with the oppo @Coulson, not a big problem for me, but others enjoy a nice gui. since my tv doesn't have DV only hdr10+ i didn't see a major benefit on that beast but probably when i have an oled with dv i will buy one.
scrowe, you only need to activate expert settings then go to audio> enable pass and select truehd and dtshd. thats it! and select the hdmi output not the spidif.

Coulson

This is the problem, every choice means compromising something. I was on the last Oppo-clone pre-order list, and at the last minute opted out,
I'm glad I did get on that list before now obviously. If it wasn't for DV then I would have been happy with my Shield but as I've said before, the audio does seem to be better from the Clone.
yeah, thats the only bummer with the oppo @Coulson, not a big problem for me, but others enjoy a nice gui. since my tv doesn't have DV only hdr10+ i didn't see a major benefit on that beast but probably when i have an oled with dv i will buy one.
I've resigned myself to using Kodi as my library. But when I want to watch a film which is DV or has object based audio, I watch them on my Oppo. Both Kodi and Oppo are connected via NFS to the same drives.

Easybourne

I guess they prioritise iTunes over everything else. iTunes is obviously DD+ only. There are only 2 (maybe 1 1/2) ATV players that can even play DD+ Atmos.
If you install the Infuse app on ATV, you can play Atmos from MKV Blu-ray rips. Not sure about DV though

Coulson

If you install the Infuse app on ATV, you can play Atmos from MKV Blu-ray rips. Not sure about DV though
Atmos or DD+ Atmos? I don't think ATV can do full blown Atmos but I would be happy to be wrong.

mbmapit

Thats interesting - presumably its output as what PCM with dolby atmos mat data?
Atmos or DD+ Atmos? I don't think ATV can do full blown Atmos but I would be happy to be wrong.
I'll save you the research time... It only does DD+ which is next to useless for people who want to play their movies.

Coulson

I'll save you the research time... It only does DD+ which is next to useless for people who want to play their movies.
That's what I thought. Logically it makes sense since iTunes is a streaming service so they don't need to support full Atmos. If they supported Atmos and DV I wouldn't need a clone box.

ac388

Standard Member
I did almost commit on their top of line model but back out once I found out Dolby Vision is not available on all their models

dr_jon

So being Android does that mean I'll see adverts everywhere for products connected to whatever some friend or family member watched the previous evening? You might want to ban people watching shows you find really annoying...

Coulson

So being Android does that mean I'll see adverts everywhere for products connected to whatever some friend or family member watched the previous evening? You might want to ban people watching shows you find really annoying...
???
Android doesn't do adverts. Apps do adverts if that is what you mean? As for adverts connected to what someone has watched? That would be the YouTube app. Or Apple TV on their platform. Have you heard somewhere that this box does apps?

mtenga

Distinguished Member
It does do apps but only in a crippled fashion if you choose to load them, like Netflix. I’m not sure why anyone would choose to on this device, it is intended for your own rips and not a one box solution. I use the Firestick for SVOD.

Here are some random points for those who don’t know the device.

1. It cannot access files by DLNA but has a DLNA server onboard, as well as SMB. It is a decent server.

2. It has music intros when you hover over a poster in most cases if you choose to switch that feature on.

3. The selection of extras for your rips is good, taken from YouTube etc...

4. The iOS app is excellent and capable of more than controlling devices.

5. The silver background is free if you like their posts, a little $5 bribe.

6. Customer support is now good and quick, after complaints a few years ago.

7. If using the computer server you can load your own pics to the wall.

8. The music app is little more than a file explorer, not a scraper.

dr_jon

???
Android doesn't do adverts. Apps do adverts if that is what you mean? As for adverts connected to what someone has watched? That would be the YouTube app. Or Apple TV on their platform. Have you heard somewhere that this box does apps?
I meant everywhere Google does Ads (which is a heck of a lot of places) I'll get buy "My Little Pony" ads, or whatever they last watched...

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
Run into a few little problems last night with films that have forced subtitles , glad I learned of this issue before my 30 days return window closes.
Was watching for the 2nd time my mkv of Ford v Ferrari and noticed the subtitles at approx 30 min mark where the guy runs of the bike to deliver the envelope were missing.
Thought I was going mad until I tried my UHD Disc on my Cambridge CX-UHD and it displayed them properly.
Does this only happen with mkv files and would it work direct from an iso file ?
Is this going to happen with all forced subtitles with mkv files ?
If so this is going back pronto and I will purchase another brand that plays mkv files properly.
Is this player any good folks as it says support for forced subtitles in description.
Any help here guys is very much appreciated because this is annoying me no end now I have spotted it.

Sloppy Bob

Can you not select the subtitle track?

I know on my Nvidia Shield, unless I set it to, it doesn't play subs by default, but I can select any subs that are in the MKV or download subs directly from subtitle sites.

For example, it will come up, when I go into the OSD and select subtitles.

1. English (external) - These would be subs I'd downloaded
2. English (Forced)
3. English
4. English - SDH
5. French
6. More non-English for another few or dozen lines.

steelman1991

Run into a few little problems last night with films that have forced subtitles , glad I learned of this issue before my 30 days return window closes.
Was watching for the 2nd time my mkv of Ford v Ferrari and noticed the subtitles at approx 30 min mark where the guy runs of the bike to deliver the envelope were missing.
Thought I was going mad until I tried my UHD Disc on my Cambridge CX-UHD and it displayed them properly.
Does this only happen with mkv files and would it work direct from an iso file ?
Is this going to happen with all forced subtitles with mkv files ?
If so this is going back pronto and I will purchase another brand that plays mkv files properly.
Is this player any good folks as it says support for forced subtitles in description.
Any help here guys is very much appreciated because this is annoying me no end now I have spotted it.
Hi King - nice to see you're still around these forums. Been a long time since the OLED wars of the past :laugh:

Yes this box is incapable of doing "forced subs" in mkv's. It's a limitation of the chip set.

The Zidoo you linked to will do them - though I feel is a bit expensive for what it does. I have the Z9S which is a cracking little player and recognises "forced subs" perfectly.

All the best and stay safe.

steelman1991

Can you not select the subtitle track?

I know on my Nvidia Shield, unless I set it to, it doesn't play subs by default, but I can select any subs that are in the MKV or download subs directly from subtitle sites.

For example, it will come up, when I go into the OSD and select subtitles.

1. English (external) - These would be subs I'd downloaded
2. English (Forced)
3. English
4. English - SDH
5. French
6. More non-English for another few or dozen lines.
For what @kingkarl is attempting to achieve, you shouldn't need manual intervention. Most software players (Kodi, Plex etc) will automatically recognise a "forced subtitle" flag in an mkv and display automatically. Which player are you using on the Shield?

Mensy

Distinguished Member
Proper noob question and one i should know but as i watch alot of 1080p content but also 4k content what should i set my display resolution too ? I have a Sony AF8 Oled but theres about 10 display options in the settings

Trending threads

Latest News

MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung 2020 TV app lineup upgraded
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Film festivals move online: We Are One starts 29th May
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bafta 2020 TV Awards to proceed behind closed doors