Zappiti One SE 4K HDR Media Player Review & Comments

Ok I’ve done a bit more digging and it’s to do with the video codec used. In my case the Back to the Future disc uses the VC-1 codec and the stuttering is a known issue with this codec and the Zappiti players. It’s mentioned in the notes for the latest firmware.
Ive been watching Heroes which is also VC-1, and on the Zap it does stutter every few seconds, but its not a problem on the older Dune media player, seems about right as the older player better-suited to te older codec.

Another question 😂

I’m sure it’s something simple that I’m overlooking but when watching DVD rips with low resolution the film is playing as a small box in the middle of the screen with black borders all the way around. I can change the aspect ratio to fit the screen every time but that’s not very wife friendly.

What setting do I need to change?

Another question 😂

I’m sure it’s something simple that I’m overlooking but when watching DVD rips with low resolution the film is playing as a small box in the middle of the screen with black borders all the way around. I can change the aspect ratio to fit the screen every time but that’s not very wife friendly.

What setting do I need to change?

Not sure if there is a "memory" setting to save your preferences during playback of specific content.

PS. A new review of the Zappiti Mini 4K HDR model.

Anyone experienced problems with older movies with LPCM?

I copied Dirty Dancing for the Mrs and the MKV file plays perfectly on my PC. However when I play the file on my Zappiti I get a ‘No Video Information’ message at the start and then there is no audio.

It has a 7.1 LPCM audio track and it’s the only file I have in that format and the only one that gives the player problems...it must have something to do with it.

Anyone else experience this?

Did you ever get an answer/solution to this?

I’ve just changed from Dune to Zappitti Mini 4K and I have the same problem with PCM soundtracks.

Did you ever get an answer/solution to this?

I’ve just changed from Dune to Zappitti Mini 4K and I have the same problem with PCM soundtracks.

Unfortunately not. It seems as though it’s a limitation of the Zappiti that they don’t handle multi channel PCM. Stereo PCM is fine however.

Luckily enough I was quite early in the process of ripping my blu-ray collection so I simply went back and chose a different soundtrack when ripping to MKV.

Whilst it was included in the specs from launch, the player has never been able to handle more than 2 channel LPCM ( nor likely ever will based on the response i got from Zap support many months ago). Pity as my old Dune players play them fine.

If you use makeMKV though you can convert to FLAC when ripping IIRC so you can workaround.
I did answer it here.....and with a potential workaround....:)

Torn between this & the new Dune as still not replaced my ancient WD TV Live Hub :laugh: although still holds up well on my new oled.

I’ve got a One SE and the new Dune Realbox. Zappiti has a far better media centre and customer service. Seldom gives me any problems, though I hardly use it these days.

Starting to lean towards this over newer boxes purely for the menus and this been similar to my wdtv as a in one box solution.

With age can come firmware stability too.

Hi, I've picked up a couple of 60p films (Gemini Man, and Billy Lynne) they play not too bad from my NAS but I've heard that using an SSD internally is best. Anyone else given this a go with these type of films?

Unless your connection to your NAS is poor there's no difference and sticking an SSD in a media streamer is a waste of money as a 2.5" HDD is cheaper, has more space and won't perform any worse.

The SSD might start playing the file quicker as the mechanical HDD is asleep but after 2 or 3 seconds there's no difference.

I played Gemini Man over my wired network NAS to my Nvidia Shield TV with no issues.

I wish I hadn't as it's a truly awful film.

Gotta keep on seeking out those DV titles :laugh:

Prob as they based on the Dune so with the new one of that out now the Zap will follow.

ok newbie question. I have my Zappiti up and running after having to reinitialise the 3.5 inch disk I bought for it via my Mac. What options do I have with the x20 movies I've purchased in iTunes, to host on the Zap?

ok newbie question. I have my Zappiti up and running after having to reinitialise the 3.5 inch disk I bought for it via my Mac. What options do I have with the x20 movies I've purchased in iTunes, to host on the Zap?

None really.

Apple don’t let you download in anything but crap quality, so you’re stuck with them on ATV unless you want to watch in pretty much standard definition and 2.0 stereo sound.

If that’s an option for you, you’ll need to download the films via iTunes on a PC and then save them as an MP4 format to play on the zap.

I didn’t bother.....

Got a bit of a strange issue at the moment. I have a 14tb WD Elements external hard drive connected to my NAS (NAS is full) which in turn connects to the Zappiti. Playback from the NAS works fine. However playback from the usb connected to the NAS is causing some issues. The video almost freezes for a few seconds before playing again. Can anyone help?

Doesn't sound strange at all. USB can be slow to xfer. What size are the movie files?

A NAS has direct access to the hard drive, usually multiple disks (multiple read/write heads) at once, straight to the network. Your USB attached drive filters through the WD Elements usb interface, the nas usb interface, then the nas hardware into the network.

While the NAS usb port can be fine for storage expansion, I wouldn't expect speed from it

What kind of NAS btw?

Got a bit of a strange issue at the moment. I have a 14tb WD Elements external hard drive connected to my NAS (NAS is full) which in turn connects to the Zappiti. Playback from the NAS works fine. However playback from the usb connected to the NAS is causing some issues. The video almost freezes for a few seconds before playing again. Can anyone help?

That sounds like an ugly data path. If your external drive contains only videos and the Zappiti is the only interface you are going to use to play the videos - then just direct connect the external drive into one of the USB ports on the Zappiti itself. That would also be a good test to ensure its not the External Disk clocking errors or something wrong with the media files themselves.

Starting to get fed up of this now.

Experiencing the issue with 24p films on a seemingly regular basis.

Be aware that 24.000p video files are converted in 23.976p when using some displays that are not fully compatible with this specific cinema frequency. In fact, the 24.000 Hz is not part of video rules and specifications (only supported in professional video and motion picture industry). Only the 23.976Hz is part of the video rules and specifications. So this is why some displays are not compatible with this frequency. To force 24.000 Hz output on 24.000p sources, please activate the Source Direct option in "MyApps / Service / Source Direct". But in this case, please make sure that your display is fully compatible with 24.000 Hz before to display 24.000p files. In case of convertion, the 24.000p files can present some judder effects every several minutes (frame drop) to compensate the missing frames of the framerate.

Disappointed that a player this expensive can’t deal with this. Do other players have this issue?

Starting to get fed up of this now.

Experiencing the issue with 24p films on a seemingly regular basis.

Be aware that 24.000p video files are converted in 23.976p when using some displays that are not fully compatible with this specific cinema frequency. In fact, the 24.000 Hz is not part of video rules and specifications (only supported in professional video and motion picture industry). Only the 23.976Hz is part of the video rules and specifications. So this is why some displays are not compatible with this frequency. To force 24.000 Hz output on 24.000p sources, please activate the Source Direct option in "MyApps / Service / Source Direct". But in this case, please make sure that your display is fully compatible with 24.000 Hz before to display 24.000p files. In case of convertion, the 24.000p files can present some judder effects every several minutes (frame drop) to compensate the missing frames of the framerate.

Disappointed that a player this expensive can’t deal with this. Do other players have this issue?
I use the Zidoo uhd2000 and don't get that problem

I use the Zidoo uhd2000 and don't get that problem

I only got my Zappiti in May but I'm already starting to think about changing. Were you using a Zappiti prior to getting the Zidoo? How does the Zidoo Home Theatre stack up against Zappiti Video's UI?

I've just bought a Zappiti player and I'm having the following issues :

1. DVDs ripped to a folder structure (VIDEO_TS etc) always play in 4:3 aspect ratio and I have to manually change it every time. Is there a way to permanently set 16:19 ratio ?
2. Subtitles always default to on when playing BDs ripped to a folder structure (BDMV etc) in the Media Centre. I have to press the menu button and switch subtitles off every time I start a movie. Is there any way to switch them off permanently ?

I'm on firmware version 3.15

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom