Question Zappiti NAS

jbgfixit

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi
Wonder if anyone can help I am the unfortunate owner of a Zappiti NAS and player. It has been unreliable from day one about 7 months. The whole thing has just been so unreliable. Not ripping discs, ripping a disc then find you can’t play it. It has come to a head now where I can launch a film from the dashboard get all the sound but either a black or blue screen. After a while the picture will start to come on then go off and on each time for a little longer, but is totally unwatchable. It is connected through my denon amp to my JVC projector. If I stop the film And select another it will usually play ok! But not always!! If I go back later to the film that would not play, it will work fine. The support from Zappiti has been appalling and am now at the stage where I am thinking of sending it back as not fit for purpose. I have tried different leads, sockets on the amp turned settings on/off reset more than once. All my other devices work! Zappiti are insisting that it my hdmi lead?? Has anyone else had these problems? Or can someone offer some advice on the matter. It seems a great system if it would just work reliably. They have offered for me to send it back( own cost) if they can’t find a problem then I will have to pay for them to return it to me?? Great service!!
Look forward to any comments or advice
Thanks for your time
John

How are the Zappiti NAS and player connected (Wired or Wireless)? I do not have a Zappiti NAS but am using a SYNOLOGY and a Zappiti One SE 4K HDR. All of my movies are ripped as a ISO. So far almost all of my rips have played with out any issues on the Zappiti or previous Netgear NeoTV 550.

How are the Zappiti NAS and player connected (Wired or Wireless)? I do not have a Zappiti NAS but am using a SYNOLOGY and a Zappiti One SE 4K HDR. All of my movies are ripped as a ISO. So far almost all of my rips have played with out any issues on the Zappiti or previous Netgear NeoTV 550.
Hi
All connected via cat 6 cable to a switch in the cabinet cables no logger than a couple of meters. Have bought new switch and cables just in case . But really am out of ideas with this one. Thanks again for your help

Hi John
i have the Zappiti nas with the pro player was using the Zappiti one player prior to the pro coming out never had any major playback problems with either I do get the occasional film that does not rip in both 4k and standard Blu-Ray but this tends to be something to do with the coding I think, Zappiti told me to try a few weeks later and generally they then rip I think they must update the rip side of things.
Regarding blank and blue screens and intermittent lock on it does sound like HDMI issues I have a Celerity fibre cable at the moment that runs from my Lumagen to my Sony 760 which I am replacing this week because I get intermittent single colours and drop outs from all sources when the projector is switched to enhanced hdmi mode which increases the input from 4.2.0 to 4.2.2 when switched to normal hdmi in the projector 4.2.0 I have no issues from any source indicating the Celerity will not pass the higher bit rates even though it is rated up to 4k 60hz I’ve lived with this for some time but have decided to get the full potential from my pj I need to put it right.
If you contact Joe Ferdinand on here I am sure you will find him helpful regard hdmi, unfortunately what works for one does not always work for all and most picture instabilities and even sound drops are cable related It can be the connection between the Zappiti and your amp it may be the amp have you tried bypassing the amp and going straight to the pj or the cable to the pj, even a combination of all three before I had a Lumagen I found it to be a nightmare i now run audio only to the processor and video separate via the Lumagen i have absolutely no issues playing back through my oled only with projector as stated above pointing directly at the existing cable to the pj.

Hope this helps.

Mick

Hi mick
Thanks for the information. The discs I had a problem with were mostly older titles?
Have tried so many different cables between the amp and other devices even upgrading network to cat 6 . Suppose left the one between the amp as it goes up into a closed loft. It was 4K and top of the range when I put it in 18 months ago. Will order a new one up and try it out. Will let you know if it a success.
thanks once again for the advice
Kind regards
John

Have you tried outputting the disks in native resolution or are you upscaling everything through the Zappiti, if your upscaling try outputting everything in native which will reduce the bandwidth if you only get issues with 4k rips after this it will almost definitely be a cable problem, you can change the output in the service menu on the initial selection page at the start up.

Mick

I think I read that older VC-1 encoded titles have also been a problem with the Zappiti. Are your rips from those discs by chance?

Re older rips
I have over 1200 disks on my Zappiti Nas of which probably around 300 are dvd I think I may have had a couple which did not transfer and would not play at all, I have found the combined Zappiti player and Nas to be really stable I’ve had mine for around 4 years from memory it could be longer that’s why I believe it is more likely a cable or amp pass through issue but these type of issues are never easy to get to the bottom of.

Good luck with resolving it.

Mick

Hi all
Just installed the new HDMI cables. Have still got a problem! My son noticed that the issue only arises on trying to play dvd discs that are ripped as MPEG 2 files, all blu-rays work fine. The disc will start to play with soundtrack but the screen turns blue and refuses to display the picture. However on playing around with the inputs if I plug the lead into the other input on the projector and then select that input I get the picture ! ???? If I then press stop and then play I have lost the picture again. If I do the same again with the leads it works again. I am thinking it must be the JVC projector but these discs worked originally. Zappiti have suggested it is a Hdd problem but why does it only affect ripped DVD’s?
Any advice greatly appreciated
John

I have had a Zappiti HDR for a couple years but in last six months am getting semi regular picture & sound dropouts. Running through a Marantz 7010 and outputting to a JVC projector 7000. Thought it might be firmware 3.15 but have rolled back with same issues.

Shame as I really like Zappiti but I’m tense every time I watch now and have no confidence for showing with friends.

I run a very similar setup to @Mick R by the sound of things, zappiti nas, zappiti pro, lumagen and Sony 760.

I have very little issues with my player, I also stream to two other boxes, again with no issues. The only issues I ever get are usually my network switch gets confused so I need to restart it.

However, I don’t rip DVD’s, I gave up on those a long time ago, so maybe this is the issue?

It is worth trying a different display if you can and bypassing the amp, you need to figure out where the problem is, it might be the nas, but I’d guess it’s actually something else.

Hi All,

I am a Zappitti owner and my system has been working well, until about 30 - 45 days ago. I am getting pretty steady Audio Dropouts on my local machine (4K Player to Denon AVR) and my wholehouse system (4K player into HDMI Matrix). Oddly, the local player drops out almost constantly, while the wholehouse player worked better, until recently. The wholehouse player (that goes through the HDMI Matrix) has the more complex audio-routing but played better (in the past). On top of all this....I have updated my software ANYDVD at least once during this time period. Also, all cable are AudioQuest 4K HDMI.

That's a lot of variables to look at! My question is...can someone recommend the audio settings on the players to START this troubleshooting task? I need to eliminate some of these variables if I'm ever going to find a solution?

Hi All,

I am a Zappitti owner and my system has been working well, until about 30 - 45 days ago. I am getting pretty steady Audio Dropouts on my local machine (4K Player to Denon AVR) and my wholehouse system (4K player into HDMI Matrix). Oddly, the local player drops out almost constantly, while the wholehouse player worked better, until recently. The wholehouse player (that goes through the HDMI Matrix) has the more complex audio-routing but played better (in the past). On top of all this....I have updated my software ANYDVD at least once during this time period. Also, all cable are AudioQuest 4K HDMI.

That's a lot of variables to look at! My question is...can someone recommend the audio settings on the players to START this troubleshooting task? I need to eliminate some of these variables if I'm ever going to find a solution?
Is it just the Zappiti that you’re having issues with?

What length cable are you running between your Zappiti and AVR/switcher?

which Zappiti do you own?

Have you got dual outputs for video and audio on the Zappiti?

Lots of questions, but audio drop outs are a real pain to get to the bottom of, usually Denon AVR’s are pretty tolerable to this sort of thing and don’t often cause an issue.

Is it just the Zappiti that you’re having issues with?

What length cable are you running between your Zappiti and AVR/switcher?

which Zappiti do you own?

Have you got dual outputs for video and audio on the Zappiti?

Lots of questions, but audio drop outs are a real pain to get to the bottom of, usually Denon AVR’s are pretty tolerable to this sort of thing and don’t often cause an issue.
Sorry...I should have mentioned that I am an AV Pro. Just looking for hints to shorten the troubleshooting drama. I have made the changes to the display settings as mentioned on the Zappitti knowledge base. Wonder if that will do the trick....

Sorry...I should have mentioned that I am an AV Pro. Just looking for hints to shorten the troubleshooting drama. I have made the changes to the display settings as mentioned on the Zappitti knowledge base. Wonder if that will do the trick....
Unlikely that will resolve resolve the issue.

REALLY? I wondered about that too, as I only use the TV's as monitors...but...I need somewhere to start. I'll have to start playing with the ripping software as well. Too many variables....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom