Question Zappiti Mini 4K HDR - Sharing and YouTube 4K HDR?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by skirpydoink, Jan 12, 2018.

1. skirpydoink

skirpydoink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Hi,

I bought this the other day, it was a bit fiddly to set up accounts but finally managed to get everything set up.

I have two external hard drives connected to my PC with all my movies on them and have been using Kodi to play them, my PC is a couple of years old so doesn't suppot Atmos or HDR, thats why i upgraded to this box.

I plugged my hard drives into the Zappati just to get a look at how my videos looked and am very impressed with the 4K video quality and smoothness of playback on my Oled TV.

But i want to keep the hard drives connected to my PC and use SMB to play back to the media box, i have also installed the Zappiti server and media player on my PC.

So this is where i am having problems now, i have my folders shared and followed an advanced tutorial for people who were having problems sharing and have set up the Zappiti server with all my movies on it but can't seem to get the box to connect.

When i run the Zappiti share to connect to my PC i get a box popping up saying ""Authentication - please enter your login information"

I am assuming this is my PC login details? my login details are simply "PC" and i have no password but i can't get by this login box, it gives no reason or error message just keeps reappearing.

I tried kodi and was getting error 2 codes coming up when trying to add video through SMB.

I feel like my old Boxee Box has come back to haunt me :(

I am running windows 10 and have everything hard wired.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

2. Manik

Manik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Are you running the latest 1709 update in Windows 10? If so, SMB v1 is disabled by default and the Zappiti require this so try to enable SMB1 again and give it another try.

3. skirpydoink

skirpydoink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Hi, thanks for that! it was switched off and managed to get SMB working on Kodi but not looking to use this player as it does not support HDR and Atmos.

Zappiti is still asking for login details, once it didn't and i managed to access my files on my PC but once i came out of it, it is now asking again for login details and not letting me in.

4. mtenga

mtenga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,849
    These days I just attach my drives directly to the Zappiti and use the OpenWrt server that is built to serve files to my other players. Cuts out network sharing issues and means my PC never has to be on. I use the built in Zappiti Cloud service to generate the movie info. It is also easy to transfer ripped files on your PC to the drives on the Zappiti via Windows Explorer, when required.

5. skirpydoink

skirpydoink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I will look into that.

Thanks.

6. mtenga

mtenga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,849
    You can also use a USB hub to attach the drives to the USB3.0 port on the Zappiti if you want. Leaves the other ports free to attach airmouse etc... if you want.

I've got four drives attached in that way and soon to be a fifth. Just using a cheap powered Amazon basics hub and it works fine. I believe non-powered hubs work as well though not tried personally.

7. skirpydoink

skirpydoink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Hi, i am a bit rusty at this now, have not done any of this setting up since i had a boxee and my old jailbroken PS2 , with this USB hub can i have it attached to both my PC and Zappiti at the same time?

8. mtenga

mtenga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,849
    No, just the Zappiti. Nothing to be gained by adding it to both devices.

Any file transfers from PC to Zappiti can be done over the network as I described above. My four drives all have their own addresses in Windows Explorer when I transfer. It is easy and just like transferring files from one drive to another on your PC.

9. Manik

Manik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What does it say after you enter your username & password?

10. skirpydoink

skirpydoink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    It says nothing, just keeps coming back to the same login box. It got through once as i mentioned but back to square one not letting me past login.

11. Blackbeen

Blackbeen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Disappointing unit I'm sending it back to Amazon after 4 hours of hair pulling in favor of the Zidoo X10, I would think that Full BD support would be a given, but, nooo...

Attached Files:

12. Manik

Manik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Why would you think that? Zappiti never said the player has full BD menu support, only that they`re working on it so i am not sure where you got that idea from..

13. mtenga

mtenga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,849
    Hardly!

Zidoo only got it via firmware update too. Most players do not have this feature. Although I'll agree Zappiti are taking far too long to implement it and they may not be up to the task given its been over six months.

14. Blackbeen

Blackbeen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Because the Popcorn Hour C-200 player I've owed for 8 years supports it & any player worth its snuff SHOULD in 2018.

15. Blackbeen

Blackbeen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Those players are worthless to me if I wanted to just play mkvs I would just plug a memory stick directly into my HDTV.

16. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,452
    But the rules have changed since the C-200 was released. To get a full BluRay license you now need the device to support Cinavia, which would then make the player useless for many people who want it for streaming their home ripped discs So for a long time there have been no players that offered full BD menu support, until recently when they have found a way around getting the license.

So to claim the C-200 (along with my old Dune Prime 3.0 & HD Max) have it but many newer players don't is more than a little unfair.

Mark.

17. Blackbeen

Blackbeen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, it works, what can I say, the only major reason I'm upgrading is to play 4K & 3D Blu-Ray I otherwise would stick with what I have that I've otherwise have no issue with even though there has hasn't been a firmware update in years, in a way the Zappiti was a downgrade as the Mini didn't have an internal hd dock & I wasn't going to pay an extra $50 for a mount that costs less than 10 bucks. Plus I found its playback software buggy & tediously slow not deserving of all the hype.

18. skirpydoink

skirpydoink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Hi, i managed to get this working with my shares by putting in my PC ip address....Cheers.

Can someone tell me if this can stream Youtube 4K HDR? Doesn't look like it's supported in the youtube app ....only 1080p at the highest setting.

I downloaded some Vids from youtube on my PC using internet download manager but the 4K HDR MKVs don't play.

I still have a Chromecast ultra to do this job but like to free up a plug and HDMI space in my setup.

Thnks.