Zappiti - Failed to open URL

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by danswan, Jan 10, 2012.

1. danswan

danswan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Afternoon all.

I have asked this question in another existing thread but the title is misleading so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I've read the Zappiti setup guide and various threads both here and on the Zappiti forums and tried to hold off asking for help for as long as possible, but I really need it now.

I'm using Zappiti version v2.3.1093.0 on my Dune 101. I think this is different from previous versions as there is no mention of 'Absolute Path' within the program at all, or a way of editing it once the path to the media has been created in Zappiti. My Zappiti data is stored on the same server, in a different share.

I have shares on my Freenas server and am using SMB to connect to them. The Dune by itself works fine but when opening the media from Zappiti I get the 'failed to open URL error'.

According to Zappiti the path is smb://user: [email protected]/video (I've just put a space inbetween the colon and the password to stop the forum turning it into a smiley) These details are definitely correct.

I can see an XML in my local appdata folder which I could edit if required, but the path in here is spot on.

As suggested by MarkE19 in another thread I have created a shortcut to this share in the Dune firmware and when checking the properties of this it matches the path Zappiti is looking at, so why isn't it working??

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    I always find it far easier to get Zappiti working when it exports to a folder with all media in a subfolder, ie for me it is set as:
    export path - \\tower\video
    media folders: \\tower\video\DVD \BluRay & \TV

in most cases the above setup just works with no Absolute Path then being required - although Zappiti now auto generates an AP when setting new folders,
    All the media shares on my unRAID server are set to allow access to 'Everyone' with no passwords required which also simplifies the setup.

HTH,
    Mark.

3. danswan

danswan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok then I can do that, although I am going to get problems as my media is not all in one place; I have our videos on one share, tv in another and the kids stuff in a third. I'm guessing the best thing to do would be to try to set my drives up as jbod, but this is going to be a pain to do as I'm going to lose the data when I do this.

Do you think I might have more success with nfs shares? I notice most people seem to be using nfs...

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    I've always used SMB and never needed to try NFS - SMB has always worked fine for me.

The auto generated SMB AP's in Zappiti are as follows for me:
    smb://192.168.1.65/video/DVD /BluRay & /TV - this is the fixed IP address of my server

Mark.

5. danswan

danswan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK so it works for the videos fine now that I have moved the Zappiti data to the root of the same drive as those files - thanks Mark (& also the other guy who suggested the same thing in the other thread earlier :) )

My next problem is that Zappiti is extremely slow, opening the initial movie wall takes 25-30 seconds, and backing out of a movie folder takes the same amount of time. Is this normal?

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    There is a known issue with speed using Zappiti or any other media wall program that has its output stored on a any networked storage, with the latest firmware - however the TV101 only uses the latest firmware so you can't roll back to an older one. However Dune are aware of this and will hopefully release a new firemware soon to fix this and a few other issues
    Your only other option for now is to try and get the Absolute Paths working and output Zappiti to locally attached storage, as that does seem to work faster.

Mark.

7. danswan

danswan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, thanks for your help. So that would take me back to my original issue. I'm starting to think ditching the HTPC might have been hasty :eek:

Hopefully Dune can get some new firmware out soon to change my mind. Traditionally how frequent or otherwise are Dune firmware releases?

Also, how often are Zappiti beta updates forthcoming (i'm convinced my absolute path problem was no fault of mine)?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Dune release a firmware update about every 3 to 4 months - sometimes quicker if there are known issues that need fixing.
    AFAIK they are working on a new firmware now as the last one was just an interim release - well hopefully :rolleyes:
    Zappiti gets updated as and when they have something to release. Sometimes you will see a couple of updates in a month, but sometimes it can be a few months between updates.
    A new version was released yesturday, but from what I've seen so far it looks like it breaks far more than it fixed :facepalm:
    http://zappiti.com/Download/Zappiti-v2.3.1096.0.exe - try it at your own risk :suicide:

Mark.

9. danswan

danswan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok thanks for the info Mark (i'm using the android app and it doesn't have the 'thanks' option) :)

10. gam

gam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +714
    had the same problem setting mine up about a month or so ago as I had seperate shares on my nas for tv and films and found a post on another forum that stated that you can only have one smb share set up in zapitti at a time..... multiple folders within the one share set up seperately is ok and so is the addition of nfs, usb and internal drives

have everything in seperate folders within one share now and all works ok

11. danswan

danswan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK thanks for the advice. Im just not using Zappiti for now though as my media can't currently all sit on the same share. Hopefully something that change in the future in Zappiti/Dune to make this possible.

12. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Zapitti supports multiple shares. I use FreeNAS and have 3 drives mounted plus a Max with a drive mounted. Each drive has both a Movies an TVShow folder and it works fine. The latest version of Zapitti works fine but has lost Tv specials (aka series 0).

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    IIRC it was stated by some users that the last version of Zappiti broke Absolute Paths - so it could be worth trying the new version to see if it fixes them without breaking anything else you need.

Mark.

14. gam

gam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +714
    I had tried a few versions when trying to get it to work and it just wouldn't, I can't find the original place I read about only one smb share but it would seem it was only partially right (or I misread it) as I had another look for it and found Dune/SMB Share Limit - NerdWiki and Zappiti - Multiple Movies / TV Series Folders [Text View] - AVS Forum and at the very bottom of Dune HD Cover Art using Zappiti

so it would seem the dune can only read/access one smb share at a time so if the zappiti library files are on one smb share the movies won't play from another which was definetly the case for me as when I moved the _zappiti folder from one share to the another the ones that would and wouldn't play switched

will try and have a go with it over the weekend but the solution would seem to be to have the zappiti export to a usb or an internal drive.... is that where yours would be HeadBanger?

15. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Yes, I've set up to export to the internal drive of my Max.

16. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    And yet another Zappiti release - http://zappiti.com/Download/Zappiti-v2.3.1097.0.exe
    Changes since v2.3.1096.0:
    - Fix the detection of season 0
    - Fix the file extension when using Default button to create new entry
    - Fix pictures download when scraping
    - Fix duplicates detection and cleanup
    - Fix cyrilic path detection when scanning

Mark.

17. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Cheers Mark.

If they have indeed fixed the series 0 (specials) and haven't broken anything else (!) then everything will work for me as it did prior to the latest ipod/ipad versions.

18. danswan

danswan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

I've got a 2gb USB stick currently set up in my Dune 101 as system storage. Can I export the Zappiti content to that, or do I need to partition it somehow first? What does system storage even do?

If I can do this, I have a few questions:

- Will this be quicker than having the Zappiti content on a SMB share?
    - Will this enable me to use more than one SMB share for my media?
    - Is 2gb enough for system storage and Zappiti data?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  19. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    The Dune can not use the system storage for anything other than the specific system storage tasks, ie storing shortcuts, temp firmware updates and BD-Live etc. So you would have needed to partition the flash drive before installing it as system storage. However 2Gb is the recommended size for system storage, so you would be better off IMO using another flash drive etc for media storage.
    I have my Zappiti exported to my server that connects to the Dune via SMB and have no speed issues with this setup. However I have seen others state that exporting Zappiti to local storage does make it respond faster.
    Zappiti being on local storage does seem to make life easier with multiple shares.
    See above, but IMO no you should either use a larger partitioned flash drive or another one for Zappiti.

Mark.

20. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Fingers crossed that it does work as expected - however I will probably give it a day or so to see what others are saying about the latest version before I upgrade :suicide:

Mark.

21. gam

gam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +714
    did have a play and forgot to post back at the weekend..... with the 2 smb shares and zappiti on one of them the videos on the other share didn't play, which was to be expected.

I then just moved the zappiti files directly onto a 16gb partitioned usb drive (2gb of it for system storage), so all the zappiti data was exactly the same, loaded zappiti from it and everything played without any bother from both shares

got fed up messing about with different versions as I've a fair few tv programs so have now went back to 2.1.2735.100 and don't think I'll bother changing it again untill all the bugs are sorted out

22. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    New version 2.3.1097.0 all good for me (except the missing director and actors scraping bug*) - the TV specials (aka series 0) are back and everything is found within my various subfolders. :clap:

* this can be fixed by editing the XML file found (in my set up) in C:\Program Files (x86)\HDLand\Zappiti\Languages\en-US.xml. Find the reference to IMDB (="Scraper" Movie="IMDB") and change to TMDB (="Scraper" Movie="TMDB") and save. I had to save the amended XML file elsewhere and then copy it over the Zapitti version.

23. danswan

danswan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm quite happy now, having partitioned my 4GB USB stick with 2GB for system storage and the rest for Zappiti I can play files from all 4 of my SMB shares. Zappiti is also nice and quick now that it is local to the Dune. It also managed to scrape everything I have successfully after a bit of folder renaming, other than 'The Road Runner Show', which isn't in TVDB so that's to be expected.

Still don't like the USB port being on the front, but just have to live with that I guess.