Zappiti Duo 4K HDR Media Streaming Player Review & Comments

I went ahead and purchased one of these on Amazon for £350 and had to return it due to it not recognising my attached USB hard drives. I've been thinking about this recently and believe that it was probably because they are all formatted for Mac OS. Could any owners please confirm if this will play NTFS formatted external drives as I now have the software to convert my drives and also if it reads blue-ray disks ripped to files as I've heard that some players (Oppo) will not perform this function for some reason. All other things being equal (multi region?) I'd still like to buy one.

There is An answer to your question under my previous post about hard drives search and you will find [emoji6]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using AVForums mobile app

Yes to ntfs usb disks ... it reads dvd .iso rips and I believe they are working on the software to read blu-ray .iso files at this very moment ... your prob right on the mac-formatted disks - I think nothing will read those when connected apart from a Mac !

Yes to ntfs usb disks ... it reads dvd .iso rips and I believe they are working on the software to read blu-ray .iso files at this very moment ... your prob right on the mac-formatted disks - I think nothing will read those when connected apart from a Mac !
With The right software it will

Thanks to both of you. It was a bit of a "Doh!" moment for me when I finally realised what was causing the problem. Also post purchase it was apparent that I didn't really need to the top model (with the two front load drives) either. I'll keep watching for the upgrades before committing this time. I can get by an ancient WD media hub.

Entertaining one of these to replace my HiMedia Q5 pro. Couple of queries though if you don't mind:

- Does it auto-switch resolution between 4k and 1080p content (I think it doesn't but want to verify - i see the Vero does)
- Does the remote have a 'jump to time' capability (like my old Mede8er - miss this on Kodi)

Entertaining one of these to replace my HiMedia Q5 pro. Couple of queries though if you don't mind:

- Does it auto-switch resolution between 4k and 1080p content (I think it doesn't but want to verify - i see the Vero does)
- Does the remote have a 'jump to time' capability (like my old Mede8er - miss this on Kodi)
if you put it on the highest resolution it always gives you the version 2160 p so it upscales always and gives you a very good image much better then any mede8er dune or whatever because of a more modern chip.
you can jump in time with the remote back and forwards 1 or 5 minutes not exclusief a button for it.

if you put it on the highest resolution it always gives you the version 2160 p so it upscales always and gives you a very good image much better then any mede8er dune or whatever because of a more modern chip.
you can jump in time with the remote back and forwards 1 or 5 minutes not exclusief a button for it.
Thanks. I use a Lumagen video processor so I don't want the box scaling anything, just outputting the native resolution. My Panny 500 outputs 4k videos without issue, but audio is an issue. The Himedia does audio fine, but struggles with videos...

That should"t be a problem then[emoji6] the zap works excellent and is a stable box you will be happy with it

Has full blu ray menu support been enabled as yet?

Also, how easy is it to change native resolution? Can I do it on the fly from within a video, or do I need to go back to the main menu and set it globally? I.e. say if I want to demo a 4k HDR clip before jumping to a regular 1080p video

Has full blu ray menu support been enabled as yet?

Also, how easy is it to change native resolution? Can I do it on the fly from within a video, or do I need to go back to the main menu and set it globally? I.e. say if I want to demo a 4k HDR clip before jumping to a regular 1080p video
No sign of full bluray menu support and if you have video setting on auto it will upscale everything to 2160p and auto switch the refresh rate on a 4K TV.

New firmware 3.08 online but not yet news on the details of it:clap:
but it works :clap:

New firmware 3.08 online but not yet news on the details of it:clap:
but it works :clap:
Seems bluray menu support is not included so still we wait.

Indeed no support yet but everything is better then latest firmware update of the egreat;)

What's the difference and price between the Duo and One? is it just the HDD bays?

The reviews never seem to cover photo media play back for some reason.
Any fussy, pixel peeoing photographers that like to see their stills in the best possible way? Ive had some media players like the PCH300 and xbos that are dreadful.

Also, can I play 4k video contenr 'raw' without any re-encoding which believe the Shield does?

Also, why review a 4K HDR streamer on a non HDR TV. They did the same with the eGreat, kinda defeats the object a bit!

What's the difference and price between the Duo and One? is it just the HDD bays?

The reviews never seem to cover photo media play back for some reason.
Any fussy, pixel peeoing photographers that like to see their stills in the best possible way? Ive had some media players like the PCH300 and xbos that are dreadful.

Also, can I play 4k video contenr 'raw' without any re-encoding which believe the Shield does?

Also, why review a 4K HDR streamer on a non HDR TV. They did the same with the eGreat, kinda defeats the object a bit!
The difference is 299 euro for the one with just one bay and 399 euro for the ones with two bays.
That's all the difference there is for the rest they are just the same.
They have a setting hdmi raw that plays without re-encoding and even 4 k hdr.
To avoid copyright issues i believe they do not play any hdr content but you're right it's kinda of mishit.
It's definitely not cheap but it's a fine media player far more better then the egreat which i also own and is a buggy player. ;)

Can I ask how users of this machine deal with forced pgs subtitles for blu rays, do you find them manually online or remux them out into an external srt right away?

This player would be perfect if it recognized forced pgs subtitles, I dont want to remux my entire library again.

Can I ask how users of this machine deal with forced pgs subtitles for blu rays, do you find them manually online or remux them out into an external srt right away?

This player would be perfect if it recognized forced pgs subtitles, I dont want to remux my entire library again.
Most of them you find in English online but i'm not 100 pro cent sure for the forced pgs subs.

Is it possible that this unit will be able to get a Dolby Vision update?
No i don't. think so licence is not cheap and piracy restrictions

Is it possible that this unit will be able to get a Dolby Vision update?

No box on Android 6.1 etc
Will get Dolby Vision !

It has to be on Android 7.1
That os supports it .

I tried to ask why it's only positive reviews here, and why it's not possible to identify the man behind the reviews... Pressed ENTER, and was told that a moderator would go through my posting... :-(

ZAPPITI DUO 4K HDR

I went for the Zappiti One 4k HDt and installed a WD 4TB 'Blue' internal HDD.

Finally got everything set up with all my medial files installed (I used to use a PCH A-300).

On the whole seems OK, mixed feelings on it.

I just want to highlight some of the negatives with a few Qs...

I have a lot of old 4:3 video content and have noticed that the 4:3 aspect ratio looks incorrect. In that it's a fair bit narrower than conventional 4:3. On my 55" TV the the width equates to some 10cm less than it should be which is quite noticeable and almost unwatchable.
The response from the Zappitti support was to 'click on the aspect ratio button'! which doesn't resolve the issue.

Anybody else notice this?

Whilst still on the subject of 4:3 aspect ratio, it doesn't maintain 4:3 when you play another 4:3 clip. i.e you have to keep pressing the 'aspect ratio button' each time. It keeps reverting back to 16:9

I'm a keen photographer and was hoping to use it to view my photographs but alas like all the PCHs and various games consoles/PC media centres i've used before it does a terrible job in displaying high res photos. In that there is no 'anti-aliasing' and all diagonals look very jaggedy. Totally unusable. Is there any setting to adjust this?
When i view them via direct usb drive/SD card to TV they look really smooth.
Strange how these media centres will play all sorts of complex video and audio formats byt can't display a simple jpg properly!

Note to reviewers: Please include still images, slideshows in your reviews rather than just ripping blu rays, menu support and playing flacc files!

On some demo 4K HDR clips (i.e teh 'LG Chess' and 'Sony Camp') it keeps asking me to 'optimize the resolution' and change it to 1080p. Even if I cancel the picture looks worse and I lose the HDR! I have to mess with the TV's settings to retrieve the 4k HDR again.
I have the resolution set to AUTO on the Zappitti.

It doesn't seem to play directly or via DLNA DSS/DSF high res audio files which I though it would.

As mentioned before the GUI like on most of these media players is AWFUL. In 'EXPLORER' the font is way TOO SMALL (even on 'HUGE' setting). It seems to have been designed with a smaller screen and close up viewing in mind. The PCH was marginally better. Don't the designers realize that high res 4K makes text look very small (same goes for PS4 games!).
I'm sitting about 8ft away from a 55" 4k TV.

Merry xmas and Happy Holidays!

Whilst still on the subject of 4:3 aspect ratio, it doesn't maintain 4:3 when you play another 4:3 clip. i.e you have to keep pressing the 'aspect ratio button' each time. It keeps reverting back to 16:9

You are correct and its annoying, especially when watching DVDs of TV series. Ditto subtitles, come next episode you have to select subtitles again. But I do understand why, the menu would be out of kilter when you went back to it otherwise. There should be a play next episode option like Netflix or Amazon and keep the settings as is whilst you are watching that material.

Found yet ANOTHER BUG. Starting to get a bit p'd off with this now and may send it back.

Anyone else have a problem when play interlaced video (SD or HD) in that the frame rate is incorrectly set at 25Hz rather than 50Hz (likewise for NTSC, 30Hz rather than 60Hz) and results in an unnatural 'filmic' look with motion judder.
I have the display setting set at AUTO and the only way to correct it is to manually set it i 1080i 50.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom