Zappa (UK Blu-ray, December 2021)

IGC

zappa copy.png

There's been some great music documentaries recently and a few to come Peter Jackson's Get Back and The Velvet Underground (watching that later today but I'm not liking the fact the director maybe thinks it's about him).

I don't know much about Zappa so I'm going to watch this it's actually on BBC4/iPlayer) next week (22nd October) so if I like it I'll pick up the Blu-ray.

Directed by Alex Winter (Bill & Ted) no less https://alexwinter.com/projects/zappa/

Rather strange Altitude Film Distribution are doing a Blu-ray + DVD combo maybe they think a lot of Zappa fans are old and crusty and only have DVD players. Just sayin' :D

Amazon product

brian s

Distinguished Member
I've been waiting for this one. I had the good fortune to see him twice. He was a musical genius. As a December release I'll put it on my Christmas list.

Unfortunately the bit about them expecting old and crusty Zappa fans to only have a DVD player is something I've experienced. When I bought Passport To Pimlico the guy said you do realise that's the Blu Ray not the DVD. When I bought my very first 4K the guy said you do realise that's the 4K not the Blu Ray. In my head I look like this.

1200px-George_Clooney-4_The_Men_Who_Stare_at_Goats_TIFF09_(cropped).jpg

Clearly I look more like this.

14479525.jpg

Bri

IGC

Well I don't mind age at all in fact life gets only better as I lose brain cells.

Zappa is a fascinating subject I just hope 2hrs is enough for the story to breathe. I see Jackson's Get Back is the LOTR of documentaries as a 3 parter. Not a big Beatles fan but that unseen footage looks amazing.

We're definitely being spoiled with long form documentaries.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Well I don't mind age at all in fact life gets only better as I lose brain cells.

Zappa is a fascinating subject I just hope 2hrs is enough for the story to breathe. I see Jackson's Get Back is the LOTR of documentaries as a 3 parter. Not a big Beatles fan but that unseen footage looks amazing.

We're definitely being spoiled with long form documentaries.
Jackson nearly always does 3 parters. 😆 Two hours won't be anywhere near enough to do justice to Zappa. He had a long and varied career and was a fascinating bloke. Thinking about it Jackson's LOTR style would have worked better for Zappa.

Bri

IGC

That The Velvert Underground documentary was really well done. Took a bit of time to get used to the video changes and fluctuating audio but it was enjoyable.

First 95mins was John Cale then the remainder (AKA The Lou Reed Band for me) was interesting although virtually nothing on the reunion.

Some great material and I noticed 3 or 4 lines of audio ripped from the BBC Wales documentary on Cale.

Not sure how much this is an Apple product no mention of them on the end titles maybe just a COVID pickup.

8/10

IGC

Watched Zappa very uplifting story and nicely done no fancy production gimmicks.

I learned lots about the guy I think.

I'd say he did it his way always and wanted to be adored and accepted for his talent and he was in the end.

Nobody else like him.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom