Zap! Batman hits BBC Four!

the_pauley

Ex Member
Reaction score
The classic Adam West Batman returns to TV next week on 11/09/07.

BBC4 will show the series twice-weekly on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 19:30, preserving the "Tune-in tomorrow. Same bat-time, same bat-channel." cliffhangers from the original twice weekly screenings in the '60s.

First episode is Hi Diddle Riddle which is the pilot episode and one of the funniest episodes ever. This is the one where Batman dances the Batusi in a discotheque, which if memory serves bears the rather marvellous name What a Way to Go-Go. :)

The classic Adam West Batman returns to TV next week on 11/09/07.

BBC4 will show the series twice-weekly on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 19:30, preserving the "Tune-in tomorrow. Same bat-time, same bat-channel." cliffhangers from the original twice weekly screenings in the '60s.

First episode is Hi Diddle Riddle which is the pilot episode and one of the funniest episodes ever. This is the one where Batman dances the Batusi in a discotheque, which if memory serves bears the rather marvellous name What a Way to Go-Go. :)

With bat dogs no doubt.

Cheers
Bri

BBC4 will show the series twice-weekly on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 19:30, preserving the "Tune-in tomorrow. Same bat-time, same bat-channel." cliffhangers from the original twice weekly screenings in the '60s.[/I]. :)

I used worry all night as a kid about those cliffhangers :rolleyes: Now I think it is the best comedy ever made.. well, you know what I mean.

Time to relive some childhood memories :thumbsup:

Of course you know what's going to happen don't you?

We're all going to spend a year or so recording all of these episodes on to DVD and then the official DVD release we've been gagging for for years will miraculously appear, all legal issues resolved.

Actually, I'm wondering as this is the first repeat on UK TV since the legal wrangles began, have Warner, Fox and Dozier's daughter sorted out the issues that have kept this series from being released on DVD?

A suggested accompaniment to the re-screening here.

If you're a fan of the original series and haven't seen this you really should check it out. It veers between fascinating moments for Batfans (actual footage of Lyle Waggoner's screen test as Batman) to moments of car-crash awfulness that will have you gasping in disbelief (a 2,000 year old Julie Newmar, barely able to walk, virtually trying to mount an equally geriatric Adam West on a dancefloor, while Adam dances the Batusi, no less :smashin: ), to the soap opera fascination of the flashbacks to the '60s with actors playing the parts of West and Ward and cataloguing their sexual exploits as much as the making of the series.

Definitely an experience. :)

available on Play.Com's Play Trade area for about a fiver, or better still Amazon's Marketplace for around ÂŁ3.00. :thumbsup:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
HI,

Another good episode list can be found here.

There are a total of 120 * 28-minute episodes, meaning the whole series runs to about 56 hours of DVD entertainment! :eek: This excludes the 1966 Batman cinema movie, which I have on DVD, and is actually still very good.

Also, Seasons 1 and 2 are the best. By Season 3, the episodes were getting very, very silly, and also decidely stale. Nonetheless, this is still worthwhile entertainment. Now if only BBC4 could buy the rights to air the original The Green Hornet show, with Bruce Lee as Kato! :clap:

Holy Linoleum, Batman! :rotfl:

Pooch

At last a repeat (if you can call it that after all this time) worth watching. But it should be on BBC1 every night a 7.30 to get rid of the cobblers they have on now.

I wonder if all my old Batman cards are still in the loft? Would be worth a fortune if they are.

Now where's my cape?

nananananananananananananananana BATMAN.

Hi,

The last two times it's been on TV, as far as I can recall, where in the early days of FX broadcasting on Sky, where it aired a couple of times I think all the way through, and prior to that, during the great TV-AM Technicians Strike, back in the late 1980's. So, it's been a long time coming, but I guess it's one of those shows that's very niche: kids of today will find it too silly and camp, whilst most adults will only rewatch it to reminisce from their childhood, and to look at how many of the great guest cast that played so many of the villains or extras in the show, have since passed-on. :(

Anyway, it's gonna be nice to see it back on TV. Let's just hope that the prints are nice and clean, and that the BBC4 logo isn't too big. :lease:

Pooch

Yikes!! I"m old enough to remember ABC TV showing this in the North and the Midlands on a Saturday and Sunday, with the announcer talking over the end credits on the Saturday(yes..they did that even then!), telling you that it was a different Bat Time for the Sunday episode. The crazy thing was that it was"nt until I was a teenager that I realised that the whole show was a marvellous piece of hokum!

Bring back Egghead Vincent Price one of the best of the series how eggciting:clap:

If they're screening the series in order, you'll have to wait until Season 2 for Egghead.

How eggcrutiatingly eggsasperating! :D

If they're screening the series in order, you'll have to wait until Season 2 for Eggehead.

How eggcrutiatingly eggsasperating!

how far into it before we see special guest villan Cliff Robertson? - it would be a 'shame' to miss that :)

That's Season 2 (and 3) as well.

Well - I just had to make an appearance here good citizens. ;)

HOLY REPEAT BATMAN!!

The first 2 are on Friday night at 12 BBC4 for anyone who missed it. :thumbsup:

I'll be recording all 36 (I think it's 36) episodes on my trusty Topfield. As my Boy Wonder said "Holy overload Batman!" :)

Thanks for the heads up Pauley. I loved this show as a kid, although of course it's camp value meant nothing to me back then. It was just sooooooo cheesy I loved it! :D Will be getting in the DVD-R's for this one.

Hi,

Yes, just in case anyone misses any of the Tuesday or Wednesday night showings, BBC4 do a weekly repeat of both episodes, each Friday night/early Saturday morning, around Midnightish, with both episodes showing back-to-back. This will continue for all episodes, and is not just a one-off. :thumbsup:

Oh, and only Season 1 has been scheduled for the time being. Depending on ratings, Seasons 2 and 3 may be shown at a later date. :)

Pooch

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom