1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zalman reserator - Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Stellavision, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I'm finding myself on a constant quest to get my lounge pc as quiet as possible, and so far have got it as quiet as I can with aircooling. I have a Freezer 7 CPU cooler, a Zalman GPU cooler, a fanless chipset and a case with to low noise 120mm case fans.
    I have just ordered a Antec P180 case which will hopefully reduce noise further but I am also considering the Zalman Reserator1-Plus. Does anyone use this or the older model and is it worth the £180?
    I am happy with the performance of my CPU and GPU cooling so the investment would be purely for noise reduction.

2. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using a Zalman Reserator 1 for a couple of years now. In a completely silent room you can just about hear the pump if you press your ear to the reserator.

I haven't got round to using it on the gfx card yet. Previously I had a passively-cooled one so it didn't matter.

The big negative is that your PC is no longer portable. I just rearranged my room and had to carefully move the PC and the reserator gradually across the room, being careful not to stress the tubing.

Water-cooling the gfx card will be a pain as the system's full of water. It would have been easy enough if I'd done it when I first got the Zalman though (didn't have the gfx card then).

You'll also want some anti-algae stuff to add to the de-ionised water.

3. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
  4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I had considered the Thermaltake and have given it a second thought after your suggestion. However they have reviewed it at http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cooling/Tt_Rocket/ and I must admit I am a little put off by their test model which trashed two computers after serious leaks!

I must also admit that I had not fully considered the prospect of moving the pc around becoming a two man job, so I may also consider an internal water cooling solution.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I have the older reserator (on my gaming /editing PC not my HTPC).
    Its great , photos don't do it justice: very well made piece of kit. Looks like a prop from a James Bond film.

The latest version has self sealing clutch connectors so in theory you just yank the tubes off the PC to move it. ( the older model has some heath robinson clamps that do the job but look a little untrustworthy).

I looked into getting a Xice system for my HTPC but they went bust!

I think the Rocket looks tacky to be honest.

6. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK all the internal water-cooling solutions use fans. If you're using a decent heatsink that can take a 120mm fan then the water-cooling probably wouldn't be any quieter.

Also bear in mind that with an external solution the heat from the CPU is being taken straight out of the case. This makes a big difference to case temps, which means you can run your case fans much slower.

I've got the old version of the Reserator, if the connectors on the new one are really that convenient then moving it shouldn't be a problem.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Used a reserator for nearly a year including the cooler for the video. I used a pair of Silenx fans with Zalman Fanmate 1s to slow them down .. in spite of their alleged 'silent' operation they are not, at full speed .. to provide air movement over the motherboard and one underneath the SilentMaxx-equipped hard disk. Even with these fans there is no noise to be heard from beyond about a couple of feet, and even then you only notice if if you know to listen. :)

The one downside is as someone already mentioned, the PC becomes difficult to move and depending on where you site the system you may have an awkward time connecting the hoses .. my PC is in and old TV stand with the hoses pushed through holes in the back, which makes it a bit of a chore connecting them. But that's a small price to pay.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I use the gpu block too ( the latest one on 850XT PE , the older blocks I used on a radeon 9800 ( you got two blocks in the same pack which I always felt was great of Zalman).

I should get round to selling the older gpu blocks some day.

I wouldn't mind retro fitting some automatic clutching connector ( the self sealing ones) but I haven't managed to find a set anywhere.

Also I'm still running with the plastic flow indicator . I mailed Zalman for a replacement metal ome but they never sent me a new one. Its been fine for 2 years so I'm not overly worried but I think at some point I'll remove it and replace the hose with a single length . You don't really need it to be honest. Then again I could always buy a flash digital flowmeter :devil:

I was toying with the idea of getting a watercooled PSU as well but they are well expensive and I'm not sure they are all that great technically.

9. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

I've just picked up a new Reserator1 from this wonderfull forum of ours
    I currently have a passive cooled 6600GT graphics card (the usual Gigabyte one)
    Would it be worth replacing the cooling on the 6600GT with a GPU block for the Reserator1

Many thanks

RON

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Yeah I'd say so . The res has a lot of spare cooling power ( its quite a lot of water for any cooling system). The block isn't that expensive ( either the old or new one) and its easy to fit. It will probably block the next slot up from the card though.

11. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi Keith

Thanks for that - I might be OK with my setup as the motherboard is an Asus SLi with quite a big gap between the two sli slots

What sort of temps do you get with the Reserator in place

I must admidt it's very reassuring to see such good feedback for the Reserator1 as I purchased it on impulse mainly due it being so cheap
    If you do manage to source some automatic clutching connectors can you let me know as I'd like to fit them as well - Disonnecting the Reserator (without leaks) when I want to work of the HCPC wil be a pain

Many thanks

RON

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    From memory I get about 37 degrees on the cpu in idle and about 42 degrees under load. Cooling the GPU in addition had minimal effect on the temps that I could see.

I had one interesting experience... I forgot to switch the pump on the first time I installed it. So I happily threw 3dbenchmark at the machine . It locked up about 3minutes later and when I opened the machine up to check the water in the tubes was pretty much boiling. When the machine was reset it came back showing cpu temps in the 70s ! When the reserator was turned on it went from 70-37 in about 20 secs flat.

Its not too difficult uncoupling the reserator 1 using the 4 clamps ( 2 inside the machine 2 outside). Its just a little nerve-wracking ( I wad up the ends of the hoses with kitchen towel to ensure no drippage).

I would like to use one on my HTPC (its quiet anyway albeit a little toasty) but there would be too much of a height difference between the res and the HTPC and apparently the res can't cope well with this. Noisiest part is the dvd drive in my htpc anyway.

Use de-ionised ( distilled) water : got a 4 litre jerrycan from chemist. I used waterchill's anti-algae fluid and I didn't bother with any additional cooling agents. I'm happy to say mine has no signs of corrosion and its never leaked , needs topping up a little about once a year.

13. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

How much higher does the Reserator need to me above the HCPC - at the moment my HCPC is approx 20 inches of the ground

Many thanks

RON

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    They're supposed to be as level with each other as possible. Its not a very powerful pump.
    You could give it a whirl but 20" height difference may be pushing it.

15. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Bummer

That would mean having the HCPC of the floor which is not ideal - I like to have it as a centre piece on display
    I can potentially a Reserator coming back up for sale - Better do some more research

P.S Barrie, sorry for hyjacking your thread

Many thanks

RON

16. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    No problem Ron. I'm interested in all aspects of the Reserator and your comments are very welcome.

17. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    One last question before I make my mind up.

I'm asuming the Zalman plugs straight into the mains and that you have to turn it on and off manually before and after you use your pc, or can it be left on all the time?
    My wife often uses the pc while i'm out and I don't trust her to remember to turn the Zalman on before turning on the pc or I may finish up with a fried computer!

18. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Yes you need to switch it on (or you did on the first version anyway).

You could always leave the switch on and make sure the same plug that feeds the PC feeds the reserator ( I do this , for exactly the same wife reasons)

19. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    My pc and all it's peripherals are fed by two double plug boards with the power on/off being right next to the towers on/off so I suppose it isn't a biggy to flick the master power on and off when required.

I'm getting close to hitting the buy button, I'm just scared it might leak though!!!

20. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

I have the same concerns as Barrie

Would it be OK to leave it on all the time?
    As I can see either my missus or the kids powering down the PC but forgetting to turn off the power blocks leaving the Reserator on all night or over a weekend.
    Which is prefered to them starting up the HCPC but not turning on the Reserator

The more additional tasks they need to do instead of just flicking the Plasma power switch (which was all thay had to do before I built the HCPC) the more having a HCPC drives them crazy

Many thanks

RON

21. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I've ordered it and should be with me tomorrow!:thumbsup: Hope I still have a working computer tomorrow night.

Ron I know what you mean. My wife is still not 100% convinced on HTPC which is why I still keep a Denon 1910 for her and my daughter to enjoy simple dvd and cd entertainment.

I was going to build a seperate pc in the lounge purely for HTPC, but it's probably not worth me having two pc's in one room, so our main pc is also my HTPC but I still have simple stand-alone if all else fails.

22. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi Barrie

Well done and good luck to the both of us hopefully mine should be here tomorow as well
    Having a 2nd stand alone system is a good idea
    The wife was very excited about the HCPC until she found out she had to use a mouse and that early software / driver conflicts took it out of action for a while
    In hindsight I wish I'd not unvealed it until all the bugs were ironed out

All the best

RON

23. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hawklan you could raise the reserator instead of lowering the HCPC.

Or I believe it's possible to use a more powerful pump. It'll be a little noisier of course.

BTW I've had my reserator running non-stop since I got it, a couple of years now. No problems, and it may even help prevent algae growth (as algae doesn't like moving water).

24. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

I did think about raising the reserator - but then it would encrouch on the projector screen
    I'll just see what I can do with lowering the HCPC a bit
    Good news that it's reliable enough to leave running - thats one of my worries dealt with

Many thanks

RON

25. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I got my reserator today and I'm pretty chuffed with it!

To start with I was slightly taken back by how large the box is. I knew that the Reserator wasn't small but the very good packaging made it initially seem even larger. First layer - a plain brown cardboard box. Second layer - More colourfull cardboard box. Inside - Reserator water blocks and accessories, and another box! Actually it wasn't really another box as such, it was a polystyrene casing that the Reserator itself was encased in, which I suppose is a kind of polystyrene box!!!:D

So three boxes later it's all out. I put everything together and leak tested everything for an hour outside of the pc case. Then, once I was happy I put it all in the pc case.

Initial reactions were great silent operation but not great cooling! My 3.0 ghz Skt 775 prescott Pentium 4 was idling at 60 degrees and I had expected better for a water cooling setup. However I soon discovered that a) I had used the wrong clip to attach the cpu water block and b) the tubing had a couple of hills with the excess tubing. it became apparent that the pump is not that powerful and that you need to keep the tubes between the Zalman and your pc as level as possible.

With that all sorted I fired up Asus Probe (my board is the P5AD2-E Deluxe) and discovered a much more comfortable temperature of 47 degrees.
    My motherboard however, was showing temps of 54 degrees, which is when I realized I can't really aford to turn off all of the case fans like I have to see how silent I can really get this baby. At the minute all I can hear is the PSU but tomorrow I'll had one or two of my 12cm case fans into the mix without causing too many extra decibals. Hey, I may even consider a fanless psu!

All in all a highly reccommended very quiet and effective cooling solution!!:thumbsup:

Moving the pc about btw is a piece of cake. The connectore on the Zalman just click on and off without spilling a drop.
    Great news about leaving the Reserator on all of the time. I imagine it will get left on sometimes but I think I'll try and stick with turning it all off for now to try and prolong the pumps life span

26. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Just found this http://www.quietpc.com/uk/components.php#oneclick

It should solve any concerns about having to turn on a reserator or Similar. The plug board will switch on or off depending on whether the pc is on or off. Clever eh!:) I think I'll order one.

27. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Just done some more fiddling and I've managed to get my temperatures down even further. I've plugged in one of the three case fans and fiddled with the tubing behind the pc which I think may have been slightly kinked. Asus probe now reports a cpu temperature of 38 deg. C and MB temperature of 41 deg. C.

I think this is awsome cooling for the notouriously hot Pentium Prescott!:clap:

I've attched some pics for all to see it installed now.

Attached Files:

28. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi Barrie

Thats fantastic :clap:

What were the temps with your old setup berfore the reserator

RON

29. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Sorry Ron, I can't remember my exact temps before. I haven't actually monitored my temperatures for a while, but if I remember rightly the CPU was something like 55 degrees using a Freezer 7, which incidentally is the best air cooler I have ever used!

Have you got yours setup yet?

30. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

Thats still a great reduction
    Nope not setup yet - I'm waiting for it to be delivered
    That OneClick looks great - I use 2 eight way surge protectors
    It's a shame the OneClick doesn't have a surge protector built in