Zalman HD160XT & Media Center Remote

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Mr_Logic, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Mr_Logic

Mr_Logic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All, I wonder if someone can help?

I've got a Zalman HD160XT, and the PC is running Windows XP MCE 2005. I can't get the infrared receiver to work with the MCE remote - I don't want to use Zalman's remote because it's rubbish.

I've seen a lot of people saying the remote works, or bits of the remote will work, but not one button will work for me. The Zalman unit works 100%, however.

If I install the IRTrans software, it doesn't see the remote and the GUI utility falls over. Yet the Zalman one works. Very odd.

I will also need to make the Media Center keyboard work with it, but one step at a time :)

Please someone help :) Many thanks! :)

2. fcwilt

fcwilt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I can't say for certain about the WinXP version but the Vista version has support for the MS remote "built in" (or at least behaves as if it does). I plugged in the MS receiver and the MS remote worked.

The Zalman remote works too but M.Play has to be running.

The Zalman HD160 (not XT) uses different software for the IR.

I was not able to get the MS remote to work with the HD160XT IR receiver.

So far I haven't found too much use for the touch screen. My goal is to be able to control MCE to play music without firing up the TV. What about you?

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt

3. Mr_Logic

Mr_Logic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The touchscreen is quite cool. The PC is actually for a guy I know who is rich enough that he won't miss the difference, and the touchscreen does exude quality! I wouldn't have spent the money if it were me though - the LCD on the HD160 would be plenty.

Do like the quiet nature of that case, it's excellent.

4. couch_potato

couch_potato
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there guys,
    I've got a Zalman HD160XT (running Vista Home x64) and all I can do with the Zalman remote is power on/off. I would actually like to get my Microsoft Remote Keyboard working. I've installed the latest IRTrans drivers but still can't get it to see the keyboard.
    Struggling a bit at the moment, hope you can help!!

CP

5. Mr_Logic

Mr_Logic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In the end, I gave up with the on-board remote and used the Microsoft remote and IR unit, and all worked well. Minor price to pay obviously was having the MS IR unit on the case, but since it worked my customer was happy enough.

6. couch_potato

couch_potato
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again!
    I've made some progress in that I now have the Zalman remote control fully operational, after following some advice on the Zalman website and latest Zini download.

Need a bit of assistance on the final hurdle now....which is to get my wireless Microsoft Media Centre Remote Keyboard working and use that instead of the Zalman remote.

I gather the Zalman remote is pretty similar to Microsoft's and therefore the leap from remote to keyboard should'nt be too bad. Will I have to mess around with IRTrans?

Anyone had any success on this .....

Riz