1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zalman cooling - any alternative ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by smallangryboy, Jun 21, 2004.

1. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'm looking at cooling a P4 3Ghz [or higher] processor. I have been recommended the Zalman Super Flower Cooler [copper] but it comes with a huge warning that you have to remove it when moving your PC.

OK I understand most PC's live in one place all their lives, but having something in your PC that may damage it if moved is a bit daft. How delicate is it ? I mean can I move it from room to room without damaging anything or is it worth using an alternative ?

I need an efficient but super quiet fan for my P4 which will live in the STRATA 390 PC case - anyone have any ideas ?

2. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I did look at the Zalman cooler, but there were issues fitting it to the Abit AN7 mobo and it would be too near the PSU, so I've gone for a Samurai from QuietPC. It's just arrived so I haven't had a chance to fit it yet.

3. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    wyred

With the Samurai cooler am I right in thinking it has an external speed control, which takes up a slot at the back of the PC ? Do you have to fit this or can you leave it off and control it via other means [e.g. software]

4. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, it does have external speed control which does tape up a slot. It looks like that that's the only way to control it - no s/w.

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,540
    you don't have to mount the controller permanently in a pci slot.. only if you want to be changing the fan speed..

I just left mine in a slot until i'd worked out the maximum silent speed with the case closed ( which is virtually full power ;) ) , then made a mark on the knob and removed the controller again..

the controller is now taped to one of the cross-members inside my case, so no Pci slot used..

6. Ciaran500

Ciaran500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason you have to take that cooler off the board when moving it is the weight. It will pull either the clips off the CPU slot or pull the whole lot off the mobo.

7. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    So best bet is to use the Zalman Copper/Alu hybrid version then I guess

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149

You should be able to move the PC with the zalman in place as long as you are careful : no sudden movements especially if the board is mounted vertically . Done it plenty of times myself with no ill effects.

9. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Admittedly the all copper version of the zalman is a bit of a beast (about 700g as I remember!), but whether this will be an issue in real life I'm not so sure. I don't think you'd need to worry about moving it from room to room occasionally, it just seems that if it's slung about the weight of the heatsink might produce a bit too much force on the retention clips. In a strata 390 it's not installed horizontally as it would be in a tower, this seems to be a safer way TBH, the main force is directed down into the MB rather than parallel to it.

I'd be interested to hear if any one has actually had any problems associated with the weight of this product or whether its just a cautious note as it exceeds the standard spec for this kind of product.

Just my thoughts,

Owain

10. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,680
    The Samurai is very, very quiet, and easy to fit. I had a spare slot at the back to put the fan controller which I use a bit, 'cause my loft can get very warm and if I'm doing any encoding, then I need to whack up the speed to keep the CPU cool.

At low speed you can't even hear it!!

11. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,540
    have you got any stats for your samurai Donnacha?

I've got the kamakaze and i'm interested in the differences..

I'm running an XP2800 in a soundproofed case, running the Kamakaze at 1750rpm keeps the cpu below 52deg whatever i throw at it..
    ( though I do have 2 80mm vantecs which are handily positioned inline with the heatsink, could well be assisting to some extent)

how does the samurai compare ?

12. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I've built 3 PCs with the Zalman 7000A Al/Cu, and also bought a custom PC with one (and had it shipped with the heatsink in place). The mounting looks solid enough to me. The solid copper version apparently doesn't offer much improvement in cooling, so I've never bothered with that, considering that it's overweight for the socket. I'd say the unless you are in the habit of chucking your PC around , I really wouldn't worry about the weight of the Al/Cu version at all.