Zack Snyder's - Justice League (2021) 4K UHD

The 4K and Blu-ray will be 4:3

The film was shot on IMAX cameras 35mm with 1.33:1 aspect ratio
Zack Snyder’s intent was to have the movie, the entire film, play in a gigantic 1:43 aspect ratio on a giant IMAX screen,

The ratio 1.33:1 is the same as the 4:3 ratio of a television screen.

To see the film in 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 aspect ratio that means cropping the upper and bottom portions of the image for regular movie theaters to shown in widescreen that's what they did for the cinema release in 2017 and for home media releases

View attachment 1479284

You see more image with the 4:3 aspect ratio as it means the image does not need to be cropped
Zack Snyder’s want's you to watch the film in it's original aspect ratio without been cropped for widescreen
You are absolutely correct but some people would still want a cropped wide-screen at 1:85:1 why not just cater for both parties and keep everyone happy and include both versions in any 4k bluray versions

The only bad thing about this movie is that it wont get sequels since WB isn't moving forward with them. This was supposed to be trilogy so we're left with cliffhanger and unanswered questions - at least major one.
I just don't know if i can't deal with that :-s.
Yes..probably the same idiots who let whedon near this in the first place. Based on synders version this could have been dc comics/warner..avengers..its crying out for sequels

UK release now up for pre-order.
Release date: TBC

Links: Amazon.co.uk - HMV - WB Shop UK - Zavvi

*artwork tbc
ZSJL_4K_temp.jpg

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The 4K and Blu-ray will be 4:3

The film was shot on IMAX cameras 35mm with 1.33:1 aspect ratio
Zack Snyder’s intent was to have the movie, the entire film, play in a gigantic 1:43 aspect ratio on a giant IMAX screen,

The ratio 1.33:1 is the same as the 4:3 ratio of a television screen.

To see the film in 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 aspect ratio that means cropping the upper and bottom portions of the image for regular movie theaters to shown in widescreen that's what they did for the cinema release in 2017 and for home media releases

View attachment 1479284

You see more image with the 4:3 aspect ratio as it means the image does not need to be cropped
Zack Snyder’s want's you to watch the film in it's original aspect ratio without been cropped for widescreen
Not 100% true that's making out you see a lot smaller picture where as the 1.85:1 would reach the bottom of the screen and fill the black bars. Although you would be missing top and bottom of the original picture.

Not 100% true that's making out you see a lot smaller picture where as the 1.85:1 would reach the bottom of the screen and fill the black bars. Although you would be missing top and bottom of the original picture.
The whole point is you do see more of the image with 4.3 if it's original source is 1.33:1 aspect ratio
When you crop top and bottom of the image you see less of the original image

4.3 shows you the full image if the original source is 1.33:1 aspect ratio

For example If you watch a film or TV broadcast that has original aspect ratio 4:3 on a widescreen TV you really should set your blu-ray player to be 16:9 normal to see the full image

If you set it to 16:9 Full yes you will fill the screen but you will end up cropping top and bottom of the image

This film the original source is 1.33:1 aspect ratio

For the cinema release they cropped the top and bottom to have 1.78 : 1 but due to this you was missing some image even though it filled out the screen more

The whole point is you do see more of the image with 4.3 if it's original source is 1.33:1 aspect ratio
When you crop top and bottom of the image you see less of the original image

4.3 shows you the full image if the original source is 1.33:1 aspect ratio

For example If you watch a film or TV broadcast that has original aspect ratio 4:3 on a widescreen TV you really should set your blu-ray player to be 16:9 normal to see the full image

If you set it to 16:9 Full yes you will fill the screen but you will end up cropping top and bottom of the image

This film the original source is 1.33:1 aspect ratio

For the cinema release they cropped the top and bottom to have 1.78 : 1 but due to this you was missing some image even though it filled out the screen more
You got the wrong end of the stick with my post I said that in my last sentence i.e. the top and bottom is cropped.
The point I was making the picture misleading as though the 16:9 would give black bars top and bottom as well as the the sides.
There lies, damn lies and then picture aspect framing comparisons.:rotfl:

I think all the comparisons have stuck a 16:9 frame inside a 4:3, rather than a 4:3 stuck in a 16:9.

A true comparison would be to have 2 16:9 frames one with the top and bottom cropped totally filling the screen and an other 16:9 the same size with the full IMAX same shot in it with black bars either side.

Got an order in at Amazon but might just pick a copy up at our local HMV nearer the time.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You got the wrong end of the stick with my post I said that in my last sentence i.e. the top and bottom is cropped.
The point I was making the picture misleading as though the 16:9 would give black bars top and bottom as well as the the sides.
There lies, damn lies and then picture aspect framing comparisons.:rotfl:

I think all the comparisons have stuck a 16:9 frame inside a 4:3, rather than a 4:3 stuck in a 16:9.

A true comparison would be to have 2 16:9 frames one with the top and bottom cropped totally filling the screen and an other 16:9 the same size with the full IMAX same shot in it with black bars either side.
Surely people understand how extracting a 16:9 image from a 4:3 image works? I mean seems pretty straight forward to me with footage from the top and bottom being cropped until the horizontal information fills the 16:9 ratio, these aren't the early days of DVD where a widescreen image is presented inside a 4:3 container so there are black bars all round lol

Surely people understand how extracting a 16:9 image from a 4:3 image works? I mean seems pretty straight forward to me with footage from the top and bottom being cropped until the horizontal information fills the 16:9 ratio, these aren't the early days of DVD where a widescreen image is presented inside a 4:3 container so there are black bars all round lol
Is this a wind up?
How many times do I have to say it its not about how they cropping it but in every case I've seen they bias the screen size making out the 16:9 would be a smaller picture, even if people know it it still a bias.
Heck Im going to buy the thing and watch in the IMAX format.

I'll just wait Manta release and see after that what i'll buy. I mean BB artwork is :-s... Zavvi nonsteelbook looks ok, nothing special... so waiting for Manta which i'll probably go after.

Is this a wind up?
How many times do I have to say it its not about how they cropping it but in every case I've seen they bias the screen size making out the 16:9 would be a smaller picture, even if people know it it still a bias.
Heck Im going to buy the thing and watch in the IMAX format.
Apologies didn't mean to cause any offense its just after reading posts on another site it seems some really do believe they have taken the 16:9 image and chopped the sides off, my post was really aimed at the public in general not you specifically

2 disc set it looks like so if you wanted the blu discs you‘ll need to import (or buy the blu version separately).

Let the man himself explain the aspect ratios this is a great little video that's puts to bed any arguments easy to understand graphs on what you see and don't see with the different aspect ratios aswell

Does it or is that just your own interpretation.
For those that don’t know the black bars are added by your home theatre equipment/TV.
If a movie is cropped to the same dimensions as your TV screen the the TV will display the image so it fills the screen.
If that image is slightly wider than your TV then the TV will shrink the image slightly and add black bars to the top and bottom to get the left and right of the image into the frame.
For 4:3 it’s the other way around where it keeps the top and bottom into the frame and adds black bars to the sides.
Just be thankful you don’t have a 21:9 TV, you’d have even bigger vertical black bars.
Here’s a comparison of the theatrical and Snyder cut Wonder Woman scene.
You don’t really need to see the black bars to imagine them.

For those that don’t know the black bars are added by your home theatre equipment/TV.
If a movie is cropped to the same dimensions as your TV screen the the TV will display the image so it fills the screen.
If that image is slightly wider than your TV then the TV will shrink the image slightly and add black bars to the top and bottom to get the left and right of the image into the frame.
For 4:3 it’s the other way around where it keeps the top and bottom into the frame and adds black bars to the sides.
Just be thankful you don’t have a 21:9 TV, you’d have even bigger vertical black bars.

That video doesn’t compare them in the manner that Garrett was referring too though as it makes it look like the horizontal image of both is the same but that one has more picture at the top and the bottom, an accurate comparison would be one that shows the full 16:9 image and then one with the 4:3 in a 16:9 frame with the black bars on the sides.

That video doesn’t compare them in the manner that Garrett was referring too though as it makes it look like the horizontal image of both is the same but that one has more picture at the top and the bottom, an accurate comparison would be one that shows the full 16:9 image and then one with the 4:3 in a 16:9 frame with the black bars on the sides.
No it doesn’t show black bars but does it really need to, surely it needs no explaining or visual representation that a square is taller than a rectangle Lol.
C55AC153-FB7A-415F-8FA0-E6908AD11ED3.jpeg

Yes the one on the left is the same width of the one on the right and as it a 16:9 in a correct comparison it would be wider and therefore taller albeit be cropped version of the 4:3 picture.

No it doesn’t show black bars but does it really need to, surely it needs no explaining or visual representation that a square is taller than a rectangle Lol.
View attachment 1481286
My whole point not been about the aspect ratio but the way the comparisons have been faulty presented. we all seasoned viewers(well in the conversation) here and know all about above

This is what correct
aa screens.jpg

and this is what there selling with the bad comparisons.
aa screens the big lie.jpg

Or similar to post 95
aa screens the big lie hers why.jpg

I repeat if its not got though the one on the right will be cropped picture if it filled the screen on the right, 1.33:1 is the whole IMAX pic.

Nothing quite like a visual comparison :)

A96063D1-8884-4346-8ECA-11CF4FB91C76.jpeg

TVs do not shrink the image and add black bars.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom