1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z9 or seperates?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lorenzo, Dec 19, 2004.

1. lorenzo

lorenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am upgrading in the New Year and plan to add a plasma and new and improved AV option. Getting a little perplexed and fed up to be honest and will probably order a PW7 and a Yammmy Z9 this week unless this thread inspires me to do otherwise :)

Briefly I have:

- B&W P4s as mains with a B&W CC6 centre
    - B&W dipole BS6s rears (I think ? correct spec)
    - Rel Strata sub
    - Auidolab 8000A amp and Yamaha E-800 processor
    - HT200 DLP Sim2 projector
    - Xbox
    - Pioneer ? DVD player

I like what I have but have always felt underpowered and have never been convinced the system marries up. I rarely listen to music through it and it is primarily for AV. I have heard the seperates arguement but fancy a single box unless you can convince me otherwise.

I want the plasma for everday viweing i.e. Sky and kids stuff plus Xbox ands will restrict the projector for films and Xbox with mates.

Do you think these are good options?

I want a 'big' sound and one aimed at movies and games but movies first. Music is not important.

Hope you can help.

I plan to order through AV sales but have seen the amp £300 cheaper at Krish audio who seem to get good and reassuring reviews. Do any of you have any experience of them and do AV sales ever price match?

Hope someone can point me in the right direction or encourage me to order :)

2. lorenzo

lorenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS - does anyone have any experience of the new big £4K Denon??

3. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you are happy with your front L & R speakers maybe you should consider upgrading the centre speaker. Try the LCR60 or LCR600 speaker. It might help with the voices etc... in movies.

Personally I went with seperates as you can at a later stage upgrade a bit at a time. I could now upgrade either my processor or front amps, or the one for the other 5 channels etc... Also if you are only having 5.1 seems a bit of a waste of some of the power amplification in the big beasty integrated A/V Amps.

Rotel 1075 power amp and 1068 processor is only £1845 rrp bloody good sound or better new or second hand processors and power amps would give you an amzing sound. EDIT: Ok 1098 processor with 1095 Power Amp is probably a better comparison. Cirka 4k

I think the Z9 has a built in scaler that a lot of processors dont have? but you can always sort that out in the DVD Player.

It's really each to their own it possibly looks neater having a big all in one box. But like I say you can't really upgrade a bit at a time from then on. Maybe see if you can fine someone or some shop with a processor you can compare it to. But I am sure you will get a bloody nice sound out of the Z9.

If you are all set on one of the big intergrated A/V Amps then I suggest you try and compare it to the Pioneer AX10 (whatever initials, it's latest incarnation has). And if you can wait the Denon when it comes out.

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    seperates :thumbsup: Theres a Tag AV32r 5.1 going on the classifieds for a song at the moment. Pair something like that up with a decent power amp and it will knock the socks off an integrated (good though the z9 is)

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lorenzo - If you are looking for a 1 Box solution then there is notheing at present that can touch the Z9(apart from the new / soon to be released Denon) but if you can accomadate seperates then they will give you superior performance.. :)

John

6. lorenzo

lorenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys - great advice as ever :smashin:

I just have never been convinced by seperates and I know that goes against common sense and most people's experiences but single boxes seem to give the 'big movie sound' that I want. I cetainly agree that my centre speaker is weak and have always felt this. Any good places to source and LCR?

I am also very tempted by the TAG as I did enjoy this set up when demoing my projector at 7oaks. Is it best to pair it with a TAG procesor though and how easy are they to come by? I heard several places were selling the TAG stuff off at great prices - why if it is so good? I know there was a company merge or something so maybe that explains it.

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    They are going cheap because TMA were taken over and in the near future all the kit will get re-badged as Audiolab :) You would be best getting a Tag pro, but your free to choose almost any type of power amp you like :smashin:

8. lorenzo

lorenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you recommned TAG above all over seperates in this price range? Many Forum members seem to have TAG stuff in their systems judging by peoples signatures.

Where could I source an Amp and Processor then - reliably - stung once by Ebay and will never go back ;)

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Separates will always give you better performance/greater power but I would still go for the Yamaha Z9.

As music isn't important to you why waste the money, there is nothing that comes close to it (apart from maybe the Pioneer AX10Ai!)

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I saw it at the recent What Hi-Fi show and all I can say is that it is HUGE!

11. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The Z9 is an excellent 1 box solution, bags of power if that's what you think you're lacking. I've heard mixed reports about the auto-setup, though having set a couple up I've always been fairly pleased with the results. The Pioneer is in my opinion more musical and has a very good reputation to fall back on (which can't be said for some of the older Yamaha amps). The denon will be amazing, but for 4K (and more rack space than you can shake a stick at) I would expect it to be.

In all honesty a lot of the things being integrated into these one box solutions is more than many people want. Auto-setup is great, but I've always gotten good results with a SPL meter. Video switching can be useful, but if you don't need it then it's just another feature to interfere with your signal. Seperates give you the scope to pick just what you need, and to the budget you can afford. And when (not if) the upgrade bug bites again, you don't have to shell out for all those toys that you didn't use in order to upgrade the ones that you did.

Give the Rotel a listen, they really know how to make good amp's. The 1068 and 1075 pairing mentioned above sounds excellent. The 1098 processor is a piece of work, but you may find that the 1068 is enough (I wonder how much extra the LCD on the 1098 adds to the price). You may be able to move up to the 1095 AMP if you stopped with the 1068.

12. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I would not rule out ebay as there are some bargains there whichever way you go.

To protect yourself just be prepared to travel to collect and pay cash on the day once you are happy with the item. If the seller won't let you then there is something amiss and just avoid them.

Cheers
    Rob

13. lorenzo

lorenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone - the Z9 looks like the easiest solution for me to be honest and I will be confident that I have a system that is aimed at AV and correctly set up. I have had people set up and test my current set upo but things change wiht time so any easy solution to ensure appropriate calibration is welcome.

I accept what you say about Ebay but still enjoy the safety of big companies and their warranties. I will and do pay more for such service.

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lorenzo - Just been listening to Attack of the Clones at -5db thru the Z9 and it is Scary :eek: you will love it!
    Let us know what you think of it when you get it.

John

15. lorenzo

lorenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate :smashin:

I am actually doing up the whole of my basement and moving the AV room so have a lot of scope for updates etc. Planned on the Z9 (or equivalent) and a plasma originally but have decided to leave the plasma until next year sometime when the HD stuff is sorted and we have the 8 series Pannys. I will probably delay my purchase of the Z9 as well as the room will not be finished until June (plan is Mar-Apr so June would be a bonus knowing the average predictions of builders :D ). How much do you think the Z9 will be around then? Have an offer of one for £2600 or Krisk AV are doing them @ £2700ish. Tempted ny the private sale although do like retail buys and AV Sakes have great feedback as you know. What to do :lease:

16. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    i had rotel 1066 processor 1075 power amp changed to ax10 ai which in my personal opinion destroys the rotel
    • my set up pioneer ax10ai 868 dvd 504 hde plasma b@w cdmnt centre cdm7nt fronts cdmsnt rears cdmnt sub sky+

17. lorenzo

lorenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for an integrated system then ;)

18. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    The Pioneer AX10Ai should really be on your shortlist as well as the Yamaha Z9!

19. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Try and give them both a demo if you can.