Z4 info.

ROne

Established Member
Reaction score
Some Z4 specs from over at AVS.

Scroll to the bottom of web page for a german PDF.

http://www.grobi.tv/opencms/seiten/neuigkeiten/Inhalte/plvz4.html

What I like about the Z series is they keep evolving all the best features, the lens shift now looks like it has a lock. 2x Zoom! 5000:1 contrast (with the dynamic stuff from the HS50). Dust holes.

Also check out the MP4 clip of the motorized lens door!

No price yet though, but I would expect it to be around £1000 like the others.

Cheers for the link ROne. This could be the one to beat. Very versatile and the first announcement to properly confirm the D5 panels. Note the 12 bit colour processing for better colour accuracy, like the HS51. Weren't the details on the Hitachi PJTX200 and Panny PTAE900 only 10bit?

Squibbly

Is it realistic to expect this one to come in at £1000 at launch? If it is, I might end up waiting, rather than buying a Z3 now. Wonder when we'll start to see these in the shops.

It was bad enough trying to work out whether to go for a z3 or ae700. Seeing those specs has now complicated things further! Z3 with a free lamp for £800 or Z4 for £1200... hmmm...

specs are good, but its lost the good looks of the Z1,Z2 & Z3.....

beecee said:
specs are good, but its lost the good looks of the Z1,Z2 & Z3.....

It does look a lot more 'corporate boardroom' than the previous Z models.

Butt ugly!!!

...but it will be less consipcious when not in use. May help in convincing girlfriends/significant others that it can remain permanently set up without taking over the living room...

Looking at the side by side image with the Z3 I would say it is a lot more conspicuous and brick like.

Looks like the Z4 has the potential to be a great projector. The feature I really like is the motorized lens door. No more climbing over a sofa and reaching up to a celing mounted PJ just to put the lens cap back on.

If the D5 panels can eliminate as speculated VB and reduce FPN, Sanyo could have a really good PJ on their hands.

How good will the Panasonic PTAE900 be though??? Eagerly awaiting specs on that...

i was on the verge of creaming my card but i am going to wait to see how much this baby sells for.maybe an early xmas prezzie !!

cant wait to see the AE900 but to be honest this machine looks amazing, some of the features are simply genious for this price, Automatic shutter, lock for lens shift! and better yet easy access to clean LCD panels without openeing machine up!!!

n0s said:
cant wait to see the AE900 but to be honest this machine looks amazing, some of the features are simply genious for this price, Automatic shutter, lock for lens shift! and better yet easy access to clean LCD panels without openeing machine up!!!

The cleaning of the panels is a big bonus !

I am sick of taking my Z2 apart to clean the dust blobs away. It does seem like a fantstic machine though so it will be interesting to see how much it sells for on release..and how much the price of the Z3 drops by at the same time ;)

Just looked up at my Z3 and told him he can stick around for quite a while yet :)

Maybe I was a little hasty. The piccies from cine4home look better.....or I'm being convinced by my own need for the latest and greatest?

I recall reading that the Z3 had the facility to align the panels. Is this true? If so, I assume this would carry over into the Z4. I have this fear of getting an LCD projector with misaligned panels!

Squibbly

squibbly said:
I recall reading that the Z3 had the facility to align the panels. Is this true? If so, I assume this would carry over into the Z4. I have this fear of getting an LCD projector with misaligned panels!

Squibbly

Even though its called panel alignment I think - its actually for tuning out VB, which is not the same as physically moving the panels.

wow that motorised panel is cool, but NOW how are you gonna stick on the colour filters using gaffa tape and a pringles lid?? :rotfl:

but NOW how are you gonna stick on the colour filters using gaffa tape and a pringles lid??

Who says its going to need colour filters ;) :D

Im seriously considering gettin one, the AE900 is gonne have to be mighty good!

Review has just appeared. It's very 'sceintific' rather than subjective. Here's a quick summary. Pretty much what we expected, but particularly good news on the contrast front:-

* 7 picture Presets
* Two irises, one dynamic, one fixed
* 2000:1 contrast can be achieved in practice with accurate colour rendition
* 4100:1 acheievable with lens filters to adjust colour
* Shadow detail better than Z3, but still not perfect
* Very good scaler, but still benefits from a decent prog-scan DVD player
* Less screen door from new D5 panels
* Still some VB apparent

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/Sanyo-Z4-Preview/Z4Preview.htm

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel