1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z3 - Which screen size adjustment?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PC_112, Jun 16, 2005.

1. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,

My new Z3 is the first wide screen thing I own. Now I am a bit confused with the aspect ratios and the screen size adjustments.

Which adjustment should I use for wide screen movies?

IT seems that "Full" should be the one, but apparently in this setting movies look stretched and there are big black bars on top and bellow. The one that seems more natural and with no (or small) black bars is the "zoom" setting!

The only thing that looked correct with the "full" setting was the Widescreen enhanced patterns from the AVIA DVD.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Make sure your dvd player is set for the display to be 16:9 so that you can take advantage of the anamorphic format. It sounds like all dvds are all being letterboxed so the zoom function is the only way to view them in their correct aspect ratio.

Gary.

3. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks.
    If this is the case then this means that when I watch the movie I should use the zoom function and when I use the DVD menus and other DVD features that are 4:3 I should take the zoom out? Seems a bit inconvenient. Is this what all of you are doing?

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    If you set the DVD player to 16:9, then it will send an anamorphic image to the pj which will then be correctly displayed using the 'full' option (if that's what it's called on your pj).

You don't want to view them as letterboxed and using the zoom as this is reducing the image quality.

Gary.

5. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the Pioneer 575A and I did set it to display to 16:9 but I still need to use the zoom to see the correct aspect ratio.
    Didn't you say before that using zoom was the only option?

Maybe this has something to do with the movie? I had this problem with Fight Club and some other movies, but Star Wars II displayed correctly with the "full" function.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Some DVDs like Titanic are in letterbox format, so those will have to be shown using the zoom function. All anamorphic DVDs should display fine with 'full' I would have thought.

What I said before was that if the player is sending everything as a letterbox image to the Z3, then the only way to view them correctly is to zoom. That's why I suggested you make sure the player was set to 16:9 so things would be displayed correctly.

Gary.