1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z3 vs. Z4 ???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jeremy_a, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Jeremy_a

Jeremy_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think the new Z4 will be much better than the Z3?? I'm looking to buy a projector in the near future, and have read the much praise for the Z3. But the Z4 looks like it will cost around £1200, with the Z3 avalible for around £700. Do you think the Z4 will be worth the £500 extra??

2. vidger

vidger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definetely, sanyo build a all new projector, unlike the pana 900 , contrast has been improve, screendoor effect greatly reduce, (near to a dlp), color reproduction is better. There is Vb tweak menu, for the professional opinion i ve heard, this is working pretty well.

3. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    It's hard to say until some reviews of the projector appear.

If my experience moving from a five-year-old 800x600 data projector to one of the current generation is anything to go by, there will be a difference, but it won't necessarily be huge.

At £700 the Z3 is currently at an excpetional price.

4. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Personally I think a lot will depend on what you are going to watch on the PJ. If your going to be watching SKY thru S-video tthen a fail to see why a better PJ is going to make that much difference.....

Personally I would go for the Z3 as many are doing at present. Its a real bargain and yes the Z4 will be a better PJ for £500 buys you alot of screen and dvd's

5. Jeremy_a

Jeremy_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do Sanyo have a history of discontinuing 'the old model' when they launch a new one? i.e How long with the Z3 remain avalible??

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I dont remember the Z2 being as heavily discounted as the Z3 is being, the Z2 just seemed to disappear when the Z3 came out, if i remember correctly.

If its you first pj i think that you will be very happy with the Z3, especially at the current prices.

7. Jeremy_a

Jeremy_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So in other words, I best get a move on and buy a Z3 :D

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    It's obscenely good value, and shouldn't be allowed. Don't want to let the riff raff muscle in on our HD PJ exclusivity...PJ :D

9. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a first time PJ-er (man that sounds so bad).

I've been looking at this PJ and the features it has are awesome. All the connections and only £600-800?! Mental.

Will there be any difference in terms of connections between the Z3 and Z4, or HDTV options. Is there going to be 1080p on this new projector?

Just a couple of things I wanted to sort out.

10. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Both projectors have the same resolution - 1280x720. I think the connections are more-or-less the same, too.

The main difference is a slight increase in brightness (800 to 1000 lumens) and an increase in contrast and fill from the new panels.

11. Arttu

Arttu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I haven´t seen PLV-Z3 but saw the Z4 model yesterday and wasn´t impressed. I saw it in a HIFI event in Finland. Z4 was located in a growdy hotel room that wasn´t completely shielded from light. Walls and ceiling were white. It was run by a consumer affordable DVD player and connected by hdmi. The screen was something under 1 gain and if I remember correctly a Da-Lite.

They demoed (Don´t ask me why) Starship Troopers, Vertical Limit and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade! So I know that the Z4 wasn´t presented in the best way possible. Colours seemed faded, there was apparent noise (I´m not sure if noise is the correct word in english. It could also be buzz or something) in the picture and the black was grey. Also the picture was considerably unfocused in some of the fast moving scenes in The Last Crusade.

In the same event they demoed Hitachi PJ-TX 200 and Themescene H78. They were both presented on a lot more costly Stewart Greyhawk screen. Room where the H78 was presented was like Z4´s and Hitachi had a semi dark room with black walls. Hitachi was presented with a high prized dvd player on HD material and ThemeScene with some dvd player connected via SDI to a DVDO iScan HD+. Both offered a Lot better picture than the Z4. Both were sharper, more alive, better 3D, and better black. I didn´t see any "pixel nets" from either one even when I was seated in the front row. H78 offered the best picture all considered. It did everything just a little bit better than the PJ-TX 200. Only in sharpness did I think they were equal.

12. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Noise is the right word :).

Not impressed eh? Oh well, maybe the TW600 would be a bit better...

I'm sure given the right conditions and setup the Z4 would have looked twice as good, these babies need the best quality to produce the best image so anything reasonable and cheap will not go down well. Can't wait to see the reviews.

I'm planning my own loft setup right now ;).

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Interesting stuff, thanks for the info. Considering the TX200 may be less than half the price of the H78 it doesn't sound like it did too badly!...PJ :)

14. Arttu

Arttu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My thoughts exactly. The man presenting TX200 said that it cost about 2000 euro when bought from him in the event and it would cost about 2500 euro retail. Here in Finland you can buy H78 for just a bit under 4000 euro.