1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z3 - tis the season for firmware upgrades.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Russell King, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Russell King

Russell King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have purchased a Sanyo Z3 from NexNix, when they were first released, you may have experienced the Z3 HDMI bug (after 20-60 mintes the picture gets mashed). This only happens when using an HDMI source.

The problem has been fixed, and an upgrade will be arranged shortly by Sanyo. We are presently advising our clients who have Z3's.

On a plus point - besides the HDMI problem, we have seen a better build quality on the Z3, resulting in only 1 return.

Russ

2. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Russell

Why can you not keep one in stock for my visit next week then? I will be visiting you for a demo of the HS50 and I have been told that they (Z3's) are all off to Sanyo, could you just hang ine back for demo's??

:lease:

Tone

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    I've got a Z3 from you but haven't had any problems with mine, not sure if it's just because I'm not using a certain combination of devices that highlights the problem or what? Anyway, when can I expect to hear from you and what will the procedure be for getting it 'sorted'

Cheers,
    Andy.

PS I have been using the HDMI input pretty much exclusively since I got it, I've had it on for 5 or 6 hrs at a time and not had a problem. Strange but I'd still like whatever the fix is done to mine just for peace of mind...

4. Russell King

Russell King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sanyo will advance replace our stock - so we will have Z3's for demo - then you can compare the Sony HS50, Z3 and maybe the Mitsubishi HC900.

All our Z3 clients will be contacted shortly. We are just waiting on Sanyo to inform us on the logistics.

Russ

5. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi Russell

Thats cool :smashin:

I will be seeing Matt G on Tuesday of next week 11am.

Thanks

Tone

6. Russell King

Russell King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sanyo have now provided our new stock with fix.

Yet to confirm it works due to pressures of staff on installs.

Russ

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Will us current owners be getting a new one or will our existing ones have to go away for the fix to be applied (sure would prefer the first option!).

Cheers,
    Andy.

8. Russell King

Russell King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We believe that new ones are the order of the day - and the fix has worked for us - tested today.

Russ

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Cool... what sort of timescale are we talking here then for getting the replacement?

Cheers,
    Andy.

10. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I jut talked to someone at Nexnix today and they said that pjs will be collected next week for upgrading (not replacing)

11. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    errrr.... not that happy to hear that news I have to admit. How long is it going to take to turn it around and are we going to get a loan unit? There is no way I'm going to be without a projector over the Xmas period that is a fact!

Cheers,
    Andy.

12. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    He said three days for UK

13. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Has anyone been contacted by Nexnix yet about getting their Z3 replaced or are we supposed to be contacting them? If it's true they're supposed to be collected next week then their leaving it a bit late to arrange collection! I'm very nervous about sending mine back just before xmas I have to admit, I hope that 3 day turnaround is guaranteed!

Cheers,
    Andy.

14. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I completely agree. There has been nothing but conflicting information coming from Nexnix regarding this situation. I too am a bit worried about not having a projector for Christmas. Com'on Russell, don't leave this thread hanging, please tell us exactly what is going to happen

Conor

15. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    could anyone in the know inform me of the new firmware version number and how you find out what it is. I purchased mine from KrishAV 10 days ago and want to find out whether i should get it back asap for the fix as i wil be using hdmi

cheers
    Dave

16. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mine's gone back for a replacement ...

Should get new one monday.

17. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Did you get yours from nexnix? If so did they call you to arrange this? And when you say 'replacement' I presume that means you're getting a brand new one and not that yours is being fixed?

Cheers,
    Andy.

18. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No. I got mine from owl - but have a trade account etc ..

I will get a brand new one - I declined a repair - which any of you would be within your rights to do.

19. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Really, what rights do we have exactly? I would have thought if the product was faulty when released that we would be entitled to a new one but wasn't certain. I'm not happy about having mine repaired I have to say and if the law is on our side as far as getting a new one is concerned then I think I'll ask for that.

Cheers,
    Andy.

20. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well since mine has no dead pixels and I love the picture I am reluctant to try get it swapped for a new one. If it only a firmware upgrade then surely a serial cable and the software would be cheaper to send to people who are willing rather than Sanyo pay for the postage costs.

Robert

21. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There is a stink load of information on the net about consumer rights - but the bottom line is - if you have a faulty product you can ask for your money back, a repair or an exchange.

Don't accept none of this balls about 30days or more - the product should remain working for an acceptible part of it's life. (upto 6 years in some cases.)

This is above and beyond the additional warrenty that the manufacturer provides which is often put to the fore as a "We're doing you a favour mate" - argument, when you can in principal cite the law and do what you are entitled to do.

"The Sale of Goods Acts lay down several conditions that all goods sold by a trader must meet. The goods must be:

of satisfactory quality
    as described
    fit for purpose

'Satisfactory quality' covers minor and cosmetic defects as well as substantial problems. It also means that products must last a reasonable time. But it does not give you any rights if a fault was obvious or pointed out to you at point of sale.

'As described' refers to any advertisement or verbal description made by the trader.

'Fit for purpose' covers not only the obvious purpose of an item but any purpose you queried and were given assurances about by the trader.

If something you buy from a trader does not meet these conditions, you are entitled to a full refund if you return the goods soon after purchase. Otherwise you are first and foremost entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced."

I would say "satisfactory quality" would be the point to raise here. there is some argument what you could call a decent amount of time to analyse the goods - which with something like a jumper might be 20 mins! However with a tempremental piece of electronics that screws up every few days I imagine you would have a case for quite a while after purchase.

22. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    mmm, the thing is I haven't had any problems with mine so I might struggle to argue it's faulty! I've no doubt if I use whatever it is that causes this problem then mine would probably lock up but I think what I'm using is just making my unit immune to the problem... I still want to get it sorted out though cos when I come to sell it the new owner will undoubtedly want to know if it's an upgraded one.

Andy

23. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Try a computer on it in HDMI?

24. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    So is it just computers via HDMI that cause the problem? I'm using a Lumagen scaler hooked up to the HDMI input and have had no lock up problems at all...

Andy

25. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I'm not certain but I think that I remember someone on avs having this problem not using a pc.

26. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive written to Sanyo for a data cable and the firmware software pointing out it would be cheaper than them paying for pickup and delivery.

Bet my chances are slim.

27. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've posted in my main z3(smartIII) thread about my new z3 with firmware updated...