1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z3, PC or Video dvi level?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zAndy1, Dec 5, 2004.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Hi,
    I'm very confused at the moment about whether I should be using PC or Video DVI levels. Basically I've got my Pioneer 868 hooked up to my Lumagen HDP via HDMI and then HDP to my Z3 via DVI cable. When I use the AVIA brighness test pattern I only see the moving black bars when I set the 868 to 7.5IRE and my HDP to PC levels in and out. I thought it was recommended to set the 868 to 0IRE but don't really know why! 7.5IRE seems a bit washed out to me.. So with an 868 and a Sanyo Z3 I presume I should be using Video levels not PC but if I do that I don't see the moving black bars so something must be wrong somewhere. Anyone have any advice?

Cheers
    Andy

2. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've wrote about this in my z3 thread.

It must be set to L1 settings. You're correct - it clips the blacks, but you just need to adjust gamma somewhere in the chain and then re-calibrate.

It's much brighter on this settings. On L2 the contrast ration dropped by nearly 150:1.

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    So is it important to be able to see the moving bars on the brightness test or not? I presume if I can't see them that I'm losing some picture information somewhere in the chain?

Cheers
    Andy

4. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes - you should only just be able to see the left-most bar. And the right bar should be a little brighter.

When I first set the HDMI setting to L1 - I could see neither. I then re-did gamma and upped it the computer from 1.0 to 1.2. This allowed me to see both again.

Display gamma had to come down as well - as it's more subtle than overlay gamma.

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    well I'm pretty sure I had it set to L1 and I couldn't see either bar, but then I've got the added complication of gamma on the dvd player, 0 or 7.5 IRE on the dvd player, gamma on the projector, PC or video levels on the Lumagen HDP, 0 or 7.5 IRE on the Lumagen HDP etc etc.... it's nigh on impossible to get the right combination!

Cheers,
    Andy.

6. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You should want to pass the most signal possible.

Set everything with the 0/7.5 ire setting to 0ire. You want to have the lowest black-level your output device supports. (Providing you calibrate your black bars at 0ire - it should be irrelevent, but your chain must be at 0-ire)

Then set gamma (if possible on the display device) - while keeping your source gamma at default. Gamma is not easy to set without something like smart but for an eyeball - increase gamma until you can see the 10ire window pattern in avia. Also check that increasing gamma has not merged your higher ire windows by checking the 10ire steps pattern in Avia.

If you can't bring the black bars up with the display gamma from the z3 - then set this at default and do it with the source gamma.

After you have done this - recalibrate your display with Avia.

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try

Cheers,
    Andy.