Z3 or Z4 that is the question ???????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by magnole01, Oct 20, 2005.

1. magnole01

magnole01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've basically made my mind up on either a Sanyo Z3 or Z4 but im not sure what is the better option. Obviously the Z3 is the cheaper option but which is the better ?.

I have read some reviews that reckon the Z3 is still the better projector but i cant understand how, :lease: as surely the newer model will be an improvement on the older one. Please help me before i make the wrong choice :lease: ...........

2. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,886
    Funnily enough I am sort of in the same position.
    I'm not gaggingly desperate to change my projector, but I could have seen myself get a Z4 perhaps early next year.

Now with the negative comments re the iris (It would drive me crazy to see brightness going up and down all the time) I'm wondering if it's worth saving (£400 ?) and getting a Z3

It would be nice to hear from some more Z4 owners.

3. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +406
    I can't comment on the Z4 but the Z3 with the cc30r filter attached and Rones settings is an incredible pj and if you can get it cheap then snap one up, you will not regret it.
    Rone reckons the Z4 is not a great step up at all.

4. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Z4 is better than the Z3 it seems but there is little between the z3.5 and the Z4 except for £500 and its not worth an extra £500.

If youve got the cash ready german retailers like www.hificomponents.de are much cheaper than uk.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sainthalo,

Not so sure about that.....................

The delivered price from hificomponents.de for the Z4 is €1836 - £1245.43 (according to www.xe.com). After taking account of foreign exchange charges and the cost of bank to bank transfers (deliveries to the UK from them have to be on the basis of prepayment and German etailers usually operate on the basis of lodgements directly to their bank, as opposed to credit card transactions), I doubt that there would be a lot left of the £46 odd difference in the UK price.

For Kramer's account of dealing with hificomponents.de, Click Here

When you take account of dead pixel checks and the fact that there are "local" dealers and forum sponsors like Ken Davies of Ivojo or Ben Miller of Discounttv with an excellent reputation on the forums, I reckon it makes more sense to buy from them.

Sean.

6. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,114
    Any VBs on the Z3?

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yes, but very little and almost nonexistant with the filters. The filters also reduce chicken-wire (now there's a phrase from the past, we don't all have to copy the Americans with their "screen door" :D )

Conor

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I'll certainly plan to buy my next PJ from such a dealer. I've seen enough horror stories regarding PJs on this forum (rare as they probably are in the scheme of things) to decide that customer service can be a very reassuring aspect of the PJ experience...PJ

9. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've been weighing up the pros and cons of the various new LCD models for a while now and have been surfing these pages for nearly 2 years (1.5 years of which were focussed on DLP, until I found it gave me eyestrain!). I've read the reviews and comments with interest, and it is hard to sort things out, since different reviewers look at it from their own preference point, eg. Projector Central reviews tend to be all about what the PQ looks like, avbuzz's reviews are highly techie and reveal all the shortcomings, cine4home are somewhere in the middle, if you can get past the translation problems).

Anyway, reading all the above on the new crop and also reading user reviews with interest (particularly ROne's which are informative, but from the point of view of someone mourning the loss of a perfectly tuned Z3 and sensitive to the iris movement), I've finally ordered the Z4 from Ivojo today.

Reasons as follows (and bear in mind that I need a projector asap having procrastinated so long, and have only gone on what I've read! I've spent more time reading about projectors than watching films, so enough is enough)

Sony HS60: Looks to have the best PQ from the one review so far (avbuzz), but has more visible screendoor (at 1.8x!) and needs a cave to view it in. Also, only comes with a 1 year warranty. Probably not out until December.
    Epson TW600: On paper, looked as though it could be a winner, but avbuzz questioned it's lens and a few other elements of its processing.
    Hitachi PJTX200: Well if I'd read any opinion on this I might have considered it!
    Panny AE900: Looks to be quite good, with a well implemented iris, but I got all worried about the reliability and Panny's service turnaround and also it only has a 1 year warranty and NO 90 day bulb guarantee (that's just plain mean)! Also preferred tales of the Z4's greater ANSI contrast.
    Sanyo Z4: Lens cover, blow holes, versatile positioning, 3 year RTB guarantee, reports of a good picture and I'm prepared to take a risk on the dynamic iris.

So there you go. I should get mine Tuesday, then I'll be spending the rest of the week setting it up, buying a screen etc. I will be sure to report back here.

Squibbly finally breaks his PJ virginity. :clap:

10. JiveTalker

JiveTalker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I share most of your views. I decided to look for a projector late August and was just about to choose between the Z3 & AE700 when all the new models were announced. I drew up the same shortlist of new models as you did and here are my thoughts:

HS60: The screen door on the HS60 is off-putting as is the pigs-ear that the auto-iris apparently makes with subtitles and December release probably means January or Fenraury in UK for a unit that is also over-priced.

PJTX200: Nobody seems to have seen or heard anything about the Hitachi which is odd and suggests Hitachi don't have anything to brag about and have made only minor improvements.

TW600: I've yet to see an objective real world non techie review of the Epson and whether you really can get a reasonable picture out of it in daylight which would make up for any minor differences in evening performance. The AV Buzz iris comments were disconcerting.

AE900: I'm also quite shocked at just how bad Panasonic UK appear to be at servicing as I have bought a number of excellent products from them in the past which thankfully have never gone wrong. With decent support this would have been a very strong contender.

Unfortunately, it does seem that projectors do seem to have higher failure rates than most other electronic products so the extended warranties from Sanyo and Epson would seem invaluable.

I'm hoping I might hear some useful comments on the TW600 in the next few days but if not I will opt for the Z4 which I'm sure will far exceed my expectations having only really played with an old Epson SVGA LCD projector and watched a Themescene DLP that gave me a splitting headache.

Enjoy your Z4! :smashin:

11. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    How can one identify aZ3.5 from a Z3,please. :) (I think mine says Z3 on the front does the Z3.5 say so?)

12. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    3.5 is a made up name.

To turn a Z3 to Z3.5 you add filters over the lens so your improving the Z3 hence you get a 3.5 (i think/presume)

13. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Z3.5 is the tweaked Z3 if you follow ROne's use of filter and settings on the Z3 tweak thread. ROne tweaked his Z3 for a year until it was optimum, before selling it and buying a Z4.

Squibbly

14. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the Z4 (which is £880 in Japan by the way) there is not much difference But on other models there can be around 25 percent difference making it worthwhile. Eg TX100. Also there are some sites that take credit cards as well.

oh and there are other posts on the forums saying hificomponents are okay. they hopefully have improved since kramers experience (did you get it all sorted in the end kramer?). Examples:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111576&highlight=Hificomponents.de
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112395&page=5&pp=15&highlight=Hificomponents.de

PS Price search engine:
    http://www.geizhals.at/deutschland/?cat=beam

15. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need the help of a little angel called ROne:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. JiveTalker

JiveTalker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can any Z4 owner confirm whether it says that it is actually manufactured in Japan? :confused:

If it were made elsewhere it may be possible to get an even lower price in the country of manufacture.

17. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I feel so thick now :blush:
    In that case mine is also a Z3.5. :oops:

18. Hippo04

Hippo04
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So my new cine4home tuned Z4 is Z4.5 then :D

19. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    only if you share all the settings in the Z4 tweak thread and post a picture of the filter so ROne can try and identify it! :D

20. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heh hehe!

sorry - i knew yours was a z3.5 all along :hiya:

21. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I did some further tweaks to my PJTX150 last night to adust the colour balance on the Oppo via DVI and I reckon it's gone to a PJTX163 at least!...PJ :D

22. magnole01

magnole01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i've read and reviewed and digested evryones advise and i am starting to lean towards the Z4 as i have read that is now becoming had to find the Z3, and i am sure as people start to tweak and tune the Z4 it will only get better.( Z4.5 here we come ).

So where do you advise i purc :thumbsup: hase 1 as there are bucket loads of sites to buy from but im hoping that you have all had the experience to guide me in the right direction.

23. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You cant just make up these silly names for projectors like PJTX163 or Z4.5.... they have to be meaningful and you have to have pictures and instructions for others to do the mods as well! okay!

:rotfl::D;)

24. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just ordered mine from Ivojo (their link is currently at the bottom of this page). They do a free dead pixel check, free delivery, have a good rep on this site and were happy to deliver on my specified date.

Squibbly