1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z3 New owner questions.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kahless725, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have my Z3 set up and showing on a light purple wall (putting screen up tommorrow)

Having read threads saying how good it is and how bad it is and then how the scaler is good and bad I can only say that I have never had a better picture ever, I can not see any problems with the picture with my DVD player through component and sky sent through a digi sender then in to the projector with composite. Both pictures look really crisp and clear, even better than I imagined.

Anyhows the reason for the thread really is to ask a few questions as I am a complete newbie.

1. How do I find out the lamp hours used?
    2. Has any one worked out what to set the iris to?
    3. The projected image on Full (which is meant to fill the whole screen) is good and nicely squared off arround the edges but there is a gap of about an inch between where the picture ends and the end of the projectors light path? difficult to describe, is this normal, the picture looks fine and everything, is this why people put frames up covered in black felt?
    4. I didnt get a warranty card with mine and it says on the Sanyo web site it has a 3 year warranty, did anyone else get a warranty card?

Cheers in advance.

Robert.

2. triumphtiger

triumphtiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Press the power on button for 30 seconds.

3. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    3. What movie is this happening with? Some movies do not completely fill the screen as the ratio is only an approximation. For example some of the disney titles even have bars at the side.
    4. No, I assume the warranty is through the dealer. I must check if I can go to the Sanyo site and register the pj there

5. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3. It happens on the composite tv input.
    4. I have emailed Sanyo about this as if the price is right I might upgrade to swap out warranty.

Cheers for the reply.

6. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Cheers for the replies.

My findings so far:-

1. Lamp hours used, I cant get it to display this? I have held the power button down for a good while and it eventually turned off.

2. Can see that people have been setting it to quite low but still dont know what it is for?

3. Found out that this happens when you have keystone correction on. I have mounted it so that I can use 0 so it just has a thin lit area (same colour as black bars on a dvd) arround the entire picture.

4. Sanyo told me to contact the dealer so I emailed www.stoneaudio.co.uk 2 weeks ago and they have not replied yet (plan on ringing them soon).

I have to say now I have my leads sorted I am really happy with the pic but have a new question (and if anyone can answere the other questions I would really appreciate it)

5. I am considering having a pc to use as a dvd player, divx player, sky recorder. Do all the soundcards built in to motherboards these days with 5.1 outputs do dolby digital?
    6. Would the sky pic on the projector be better through the RGB VGA cable I have now or through composite in to the pc and out as pixel mapped 1280x720?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Robert.

7. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    5. I am considering having a pc to use as a dvd player, divx player, sky recorder. Do all the soundcards built in to motherboards these days with 5.1 outputs do dolby digital?

Depends on the motherboard - ideally what you'd want is one with an SPDIF out to feed an AV amp (doesn't really matter then whether the mb does DD or not - as long as it can output the SPDIF signal, the amp will take care of the rest)

6. Would the sky pic on the projector be better through the RGB VGA cable I have now or through composite in to the pc and out as pixel mapped 1280x720?

Almost certainly RGB-VGA!
    If the signal leaving the STB is composite, then it will never really be any better than that, despite what the PC does with it - good as a PC can be, the old adage still holds true - crap in, crap out!

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82

I assume that this means it's possible to get something like a Scart to VGA adaptor. If so where can I get one. If not how do I get RGB from my sky to the projector through the VGA port.

('sorry if this is off topic or hi-jacking)

Thanks

Conor

9. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    It depends on your projector - some will take a SCART signalling system through the VGA port with the appropraite cable, and appropriate menu settings!

For those that won't, and only accept computer style RGBHV inputs, you can use a sync seperator, or a SyncBlaster SCART lead form Keene (which has the necessary sync seperator and sync amp built into the SCART plug).
    Be aware though that these will only work if your PJ's VGA input can accept a 15.625kHz horizontal scan rate at 50Hz vertical rate (PAL) or 15.75kHz horizontal scan rate at 60Hz vertical rate (NTSC) - some PJ's VGA ports will take this and some won't.

If your's wont, then a RGBs to component (or s-video) converter is the next option.

10. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    BTW noticed your PJ model on the bottom of your post - the Z2 could accept a SCART RGB signal on it's DVI port with the appropriate cable (Sanyo no POA-CA-DVISC)

The Z3 can accept it on it's VGA port, again with the appropriate cable. Check the back of your Z3 manual for the Sanyo part number - perhaps Keene or a similar supplier can offer a generic cable, if the Sanyo part is stupidly priced (manuafcturers optional cables often are)

11. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comer:-

I currently have a Scart to VGA cable from www.keen.co.uk (the one for the Z2) and am currently using it with my Sky box and the Z3 I own, this is working fine and gives a much better pic than the composite cable gave (a sacrifice in quality I am unwilling to compromise) It was £25 for a 2 meter one, if you get one make sure that you power down both sky and the projector, plug the cable in and then power both up, they dont work untill u do this as I found out.

So to recap:-

1. I did this again last night and it gave me the lamp hours as 50 :) - SORTED.
    2. Still dont know what the iris does.
    3. Keystone correction produces this anomoly, a border round the viewing area would sort but I now have 0 correction so - SORTED
    4. Must ring them soon.
    5. I am going to get a RGB input card for £175 - SORTED.

Anyone know number 2 :)

Cheers so far :)

Robert.

12. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS, I must say I am so impressed by this projector with the dvd through component and sky through RGB, it looks to me like I have a 60 inch plasma on the wall when I watch it and they cost loads. I want to put a border round somtime as the 60 inch pic does not fill the 6 foot screen I have, I can go bigger but then you start to see the crap pixelation of low bandwidth sky channels. Wish the sky broadcast system was better than it is.

Robert.