1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z3 Image Problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by grease monkey, Sep 7, 2005.

1. grease monkey

grease monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys, I've recently bought a Sanyo Z3 Projector and am having a problem with the colours on it everything on the left side of the screen seems to have a green tinge to it and everything on the right seems to have a red tinge, this is especially noticeable on Black and White films and most colour films have some section of the film where it is very noticeable. What I wanted to know is is this normal for a Z3 or have I got a problem with the machine and should I get it changed. I have read somewhere that you should change the Iris setting to -21, I have tried this but it is still very noticeable, can anyone help. :lease:

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Sounds like your LCD panels are not aligned properly. I certainly don't have such a problem on my Z3, so I would suggest you return it as damaged.

Regards

Mark

3. canlabmaster

canlabmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have this problem and after doing some research, I have come to believe that every Z3 suffers this way to a greater or lesser extent. The remedy (which certainly works on my Z3) is to open the iris to it's maximum. So, if you now want to reduce the light output to improve black level, it is then necessary to add a neutral density filter in front of the projector lens. I wonder if anyone has tried this and can comment on its effectiveness. Also, what value of filter works best?

4. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    My z3 has no colour patches on it, but i did have a z1 that developed a green patch down one side. Have you tried the long thread on z3 callibration and using filters

5. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    My Z1 had that problem so i returned it got a Z2 and that also has the problem, but as the guy above said opening the iris and then playing with the setting has made the problem almost go away.

6. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    My Z3 has the same problem. It's only really visble on black and white films, though. It's worth messing with the iris settings etc. to minimise it and then storing them as a user preset just for B&W film watching.

7. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,367
    I had the same issue on my ae900. After doing some research I put it down to "normal" lcd colour uniformity issues

8. canlabmaster

canlabmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think the Z3 problem is to do with the very precise alignment of the LCD panels. A contributor to a forum I looked at suggested that factory alignment is done with the iris wide open. When you shut down the iris, any slight misalignment will then show itself. It's not a patch, or patches, but rather a colour bias which varies as you go across the screen or, with some machines apparently, on a diagonal.

9. grease monkey

grease monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I ended up sending the first Z3 back as the colour bias each side was just to distracting. The second Z3 still had a very small amount of this but nowhere near as much as the first one. I now use a CC30R filter and Rone's Powerful settings and do not notice it at all.