• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Z3 Compact setup help

nightofjoy

Established Member
Hi.

I just got a Sony Z3 Compact and I'm trying to set it up... having a few issues.

Firstly, it seems to have every sound, light and buzz activated, like everything is flashing and tweeping and humming.... on my old Android phone, apart from switching off alerts in each individual app, there was also an Applications Manager where you could switch off alerts. I can't find it on my new phone, is it still on there or has Android abandoned it?

Also, I'm trying to add a desktop wallpaper image that I had on my old phone. The pixel size must be larger than the Z3 screen size, but rather than opening the whole image then saving it to the right size, it's just opening a portion of the pic... roughly a third, the amount that will fit to screen. I can slide it around to view the off screen areas, but I don't seem to be able to do a fit to screen crop. Any ideas?

Finally, the drag down bar at the top which gives glimpses of incoming messages and texts, can I disable it, or at least control which apps post to it?

Thanks.

cbmvic20

Established Member
You can switch off all alerts by putting intop Silent mode or go to settings and sound and then turn off the noises and vibrates from there.

For the image, there is an option to scale it or fit to window in the old Xperia. If this is missing then just resize it to the Z3 compact resolution 720 x 1280.

For the swipe down notifications, you can't disable but you can switch off individual alerts by disabling in the app itself or go to settings, application manager, find the app and tap on it and then uncheck notifications.

nightofjoy

Established Member
Yeah, I've gone in and stopped most of the noise/alerts now by going into each app's settings. The old Application Manager used to have a notification box for each app within the AM app, but maybe it's not needed anymore.

The main thing I'm struggling with now is setting up autofill for my form filling. I googled it and the instructions I've found don't seem to tally with what I have in my version of Chrome. I go into settings, then auto fill, but then there's no button to add new data/profile or field. I uncheck 'show addresses and cards from google payments' or whatever it is - because I don't use my google email, then all I'm left with is two options - 'addresses' and 'credit cards'. I clicked addresses, and it pulled up a full page of boxes to fill in, address, email, phone etc, which I filled in and saved, but I've filled out a couple of dozen forms since and auto correct doesn't work (it is switched on).

So I thought - screw it - I don't like chrome anyway, downloaded firefox instead, and have downloaded and installed a simple form filler add-on, but I can't work out how to use that either. I can't see where in firefox I'd add the fields - not in settings, tools or add-ons, and when I start to fill in forms, there's no cue to auto fill.

It's actually starting to drive me a little crazy... :(

nightofjoy

Established Member
You can switch off all alerts by putting intop Silent mode or go to settings and sound and then turn off the noises and vibrates from there.

For the image, there is an option to scale it or fit to window in the old Xperia. If this is missing then just resize it to the Z3 compact resolution 720 x 1280.

For the swipe down notifications, you can't disable but you can switch off individual alerts by disabling in the app itself or go to settings, application manager, find the app and tap on it and then uncheck notifications.

This is the problem - I can't find Application Manager...

nightofjoy

Established Member
I don't suppose you can suggest a decent clock app I can download? I'm used to the old one on my S4 Mini, and this Z3 one isn't really ideal fro my needs. The set alarm feature is far too fussy. I just need one where I can click + then forward through the hours & minutes then save, without naming it. Most of my alarms are set for ebay items, so I don't want to have to work out what time the item will end, I'd prefer to count through the hours to create an alarm. Thanks.

cbmvic20

Established Member
Sorry, I don't have any recommendations, the standard Sony one is good for me. I create an alarm called ebay and then set that to whatever item I am watching and which expires next. Or you could just download the ebay app and use that with notifications switched on so it will alert you if an item is closing doon/outbid/nought item etc

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom