1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z3 calibration WITHOUT filters

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by goldfish1977, Jul 22, 2005.

1. goldfish1977

goldfish1977
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have been trying to read the thread "Z3 review/test prog&interlace with HTPC/SMART III to follow" but from what I understand the settings are for those with the filters CC20R and CC10Y. Can anyone please recommend or tell me what settings to try now while I don't have filters (I am about to order though...).

I still want the best possible settings that people use. Please write down the settings or point me to the exact thread and page so that I can find it.

Thanks!

2. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi,
    Take a look at the thread that you mention on page 17 about half way down there is a post by R0ne with his settings, with and without the filters.

I should be collecting my z3 tomorrow :D

I will learn to spell eventually :oops:

3. jriihi

jriihi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah there is rone settings without filters but with filters this projector is amazing :) Just posted my settings with filters to z3 thread..

4. goldfish1977

goldfish1977
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, next week I will get filter. In the mean time I want better-than-default settings.

Has anyone posted a *GOOD* way of how to install the filters? Both estetically and practically...

5. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For installation the easiest way is to tape the filters together and then tape them to the top and bottom lip of the z3. If you use a size of 75mmx95mm this method will allow you to access all controls and close the front cover as long as you use thin filters.

6. goldfish1977

goldfish1977
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I have ordered and paid for my filters. Are there any better looking way to install the filters?

It would be nice if the filters could be installed having the same size as the lens on the Z3. Or if there are any addons you can use to install them infront of the lens. Of course in the beginning I will tape the filters together, but in the future it would be nice to make it look good too :)

7. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    What difference does it make what they look like? It's not like your going to see them in a darkened room watching a film and surely you'll close the cover when it's off?

8. goldfish1977

goldfish1977
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I want all my stuff to look good. Sure it will work and won't bother me too much.

But how do you guys mount/install the filters? From Sainthalo's reply is this what I should do:

1) Cut both filters to the size 75*95 (if they aren't that size)
    2) Put the filters close together (no air between)
    3) Tape the corners together. Any special tape that you recommend?
    4) Tape the top part of the taped filter set to the top of the projector
    5) Tape the bottom part of the taped filter set to the top of the projector

Done? Something that I should think of? You are not supposed to touch the filters at all. Have you got any tips how I should hold the filters together while tapeing them?

9. goldfish1977

goldfish1977
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They will be the right size so you will not need to do any cutting. You will need to handle them carefully to avoid dust and fingerprints but they can be washed in fairy liquid solution. Use a high quality spectacle cleaning cloth and also silicon gloves if you want to be super careful but i would say just dont over-handle them and wash hands first. Use scotch tape.

It would be possible to cut them to a circle and pop them in the lens like the picture you have linked but i havent tried due to being a bit busy. There is also the option of getting a circular plastic lid which fits on the z3 lens surround nicely. then cut circle out of plastic and place filters in there. Thats what im going to do when i find the right size lid.

11. goldfish1977

goldfish1977
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lid that fits nicely around the z3 lens is exactly what I was thinking about! Please share with info, if you have any ideas on what kind of lid would fit...

12. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i will once its done. make sure you subscribe to the z3 tweak thread on avsforums as well. regards :)