1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z3, ae700, or hs51 for my room setup?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by halcali, May 24, 2005.

1. halcali

halcali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The room is not perfectly light controlled (one window with blinds). I have only 12ft from the back wall to the screen. To get the screen size i want (92-96inches wide) I would have to be at max zoom on the z3 and ae700 and close to the max zoom on the hs51. the ae700 has a far longer zoom so i am wondering if it will have more issues/degradation/focus problems at max zoom than the z3.

from what i have read the hs51 seems like it might be too dim but otherwise it would be a top choice. the z3 seems the most reliable but the blacks are not as good as the ae700. my concern with the ae700 is the reliability of the auto iris, i have read problems with it failing, so i wonder about the longevity of the projector (also i have read bulb dimming anecdotes, it seems brighter than the z3 new, but maybe it does not stay that way).

which projector do you think will work best within my limitations?

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    its generally best not to use full zoom on any projector from experence and from other people's views. all 3 projectors are meant by all accounts to be fab. think the sony pips ahead because of the fantastic contrast ratio. think with your situation the throw of the AE700 may suit you best. dont know where your reading about failings as there are countless Z3 & AE700 users on here who love their machines and havnt really had problems from what ive seen. think 12ft is about 3.5 meters and you could easily get a 96" screen from that without full zoom.

go to http://www.projectorcentral.com

and use the projection caluclators for each model :thumbsup:

3. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    It's worth noting that the 700 has by far the largest zoom range of the 3 but the Z3 has the greater lens shift, allowing you to place the projector further off-centre from the screen. The HS50 shines if you can get a completely dark room but otherwise may not be bright enough.

Picture quality wise the 700 and Z3 are so close that it's really a subjective rather than objective comparison. Having pixel checked hundreds of these projectors I would say the 700 has more saturated colours, making it look more vibrant but the Z3 renders slightly more detail and doesn't have the VB issues of the Pana.

Lastly, the HS50 and Z3 have a three year warranty, the 700 has one year.