Z2 v PT500 - Again!

tuneman

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am yet another projector virgin and looking unsurprisingly at buying either a Z2 or a PT500. I have one question - if i want to ceiling mount the projector but maybe floor mount my screen, can they both handle this effectively, or do i need to shelf mount instead?

I am swinging for the Pana given the price advantage (£1050) and the dust blob issues on the Z2's. Please Help!:confused:

They can both be setup using the methods you mentioned. The only really diference is that the Z2 has lense shift which does give you more flexibility in the positioning of the unit without the need for keystone. Having said that if you are going to ceiling mount it you probably wont need to use this function and depending on the room you might not have to use it for floor mounting. I will be floor mounting my ae500 on a stand and I am pretty sure I wont have to use keystone.

Quality wise they are pretty evenly matched so it comes down to personal preference and price really. Can you demo them both ?

I am sure you would be happy with either unit. If you want to save a bit of cash the ae300 can be had at bargain prices, this is also an excellent unit in my opinion especially at the price.

Cool thanks for that. I have ordered the pana 500 from Komplett as they now have only 3 remaining in the coming batch!

All projectors without sealed light units will suffer dust blobs, it's only a question of degree and to be honest of all the ills of LCDs like stuck/dead pixels etc. I personally think blobs are the least annoyance .. at least that's been my limited experience so far with the Z2.

I have seen pictures of projectors effected by dust that are alot worse than a few dead pixels. Personally I dont think it is reasonable to expect people to take apart a brand new £1000 + projectors after a couple of days to clean dust out. I dont think anyone would disagree with this statement but is just my opinion.

Komplett seem to be doing a brisk trade in ae500s. They had 40 in stock last week when I got mine. They sold all of them then had another 24 coming in for around the 24th of this month. Looks like they have sold all these as well before they even arrive.

I am sure you will be very happy with your new projector. £1050 for one of these shipped is a very good price in my opinion.

Originally posted by KraGorn
All projectors without sealed light units will suffer dust blobs

Not heard from many Sony LCD owners with dust problems? Or Epsons? etc...

Z2s......loads of owners with blobs :(

As I said in another thread, sealed optics are preferable but proper design should eliminate 99%+ of these problems. Sanyo dust blobs = poor design IMO.

:smoke:

Originally posted by harrisuk
I have seen pictures of projectors effected by dust that are alot worse than a few dead pixels.
Fair enough, the times I've suffered from dust, in the Z2 and before that an AE300 the effect was minimal to irrelevant, maybe I was just lucky.

Originally posted by Kramer
Not heard from many Sony LCD owners with dust problems? Or Epsons? etc...
I restate: without a sealed panel/optics all projectors will suffer because no air filter fitted to a device like a projector can block all dust and still let in air. :smoke:

Now, if you want to argue some are more prone to others then that's another matter. The Z2 does seem prone I agree. :)

Originally posted by KraGorn
I restate: without a sealed panel/optics all projectors will suffer because no air filter fitted to a device like a projector can block all dust and still let in air. :smoke:

Sonys don't :p

Have you seen the HS10's filter? Proper filter unlike those fitted to the Panasonics etc.

The main problems arise from design. "Sucking" air across/over the panels can & does result in using unfiltered air.

By the looks of things, practically every Z2 has or will have dust blobs. Sonys have no such (or extremely rare) problems.

Obvious design issue IMO.

:smoke:

"Now, if you want to argue some are more prone to others then that's another matter. The Z2 does seem prone I agree."

I think that is the point we were trying to get across. Yes it does affect most LCD projectors to some degree but judging by the number of people complaining about dust problems from their Sanyo projectors I think it is fair to say that appear to be more susceptible.

Having said that there are allot of happy Z2 owners out there. But it put me off buying one :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom