1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z2 using s-video input, 10mtr cable ok?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dekoded, Jan 23, 2005.

1. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi all, should soon be getting my z2 pj, but I'm not sure how to connect it to my dvd player (pioneer dv-565).

I would prefer to use an s-video lead between the dvd player and pj, mainly beacause I already have a 10mtr s-video lead, of average quality, which means it would be much simpler to setup.

Would the final image be badly affected by such a long lead? I could possibly upgrade to a better connection at a later date, but I don't want to spend nearly £1k on a pj and screen and then ruin it with a crappy connection :rolleyes:

I don't know if this helps but I also have an 'XGA THEATER' which is basically a video tuner/scaler which takes an s-video feed and converts it to a vga signal upto 1024x768. Would I be better connecting this to the dvd player with a short s-video lead and then using a long (10mtr) vga cable to the pj :confused:

If so can I get an adapter between vga and dvi ?

2. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Drove my Z2 from 10m S-Video from the Sky box. Quality was enough to make me go out and buy a RGB->YUV convertor and drive it through the component video (I could just about tolerate the "noise" if I de-focused the image enough).

Try it and see - you've already got the cable; but I think you'll be disappointed.

Can the DVD player not output component?

3. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,453
    I've got a 10m S-Video cable running to my Z2, i only use it for TV or VCR, as it isnt really that good. Using a 10m component for DVD and consoles. It's not really the length of the cable that effects the quality but the intrinsic type of cable that it is.

While you might find the quality tolerable, if you are going to spend many hundreds of pounds on a PJ/screen/etc i'd highly recommend a better cable to get more from what you've bought. After all you dont buy a Ferrari and then slap old bald Morris Minor tires on it so save a few pence...

EDIT: yeah point taken summat. I was meaning at a set length, in this case 10m, re: quality of cable. At 1m or 100m you are crippling yourself before even start.

4. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...as well as the actual signal quality; S-Video is has a lower bandwidth than a component signal (and yes, typically uses poorer quality cables). Length does play a big part in the cable; personally I'd spend the cash on a YUV system with reasonable cables, than (for example) spending a fortune on "high quality" cables. Need a balance between technology and snake-oil.