1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z2 showing D720p. Have I got 1:1?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Chipster, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As above really.

I have my Z2 connected to my new HCPC via DVI using input 2 set to AV HDCP. I dont have powerstrip but have played with the available resolutions. I am still a relative noob to all this, and after searching and reading numerous threads here, I am really none the wiser.

Do I have 1:1 pixel matching at D720p, or do I need to do anything else?

Have to say, it looks pretty dam good as it is anyway.

Thanks,

Chipster.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, on the Z2 720p is by definition 1:1 mapped, well done, for some people (me for instance) this is a battle. :)

Also, you can check visually by going up to the screen and observing how the pixels in the characters on the desktop for instance exactly occupy 1 pixel on the screen.

3. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Another test is to look at the cross-hatching in a scroll bar - above and below the scroll button. It should be a perfect checkerboard pattern.

Yet another test would be the desktop when you've clicked on 'Shutdown' in the Windows 'Start' menu. With a plain single colour desktop you should see the entire display turn into a 1-pixel by 1-pixel checkerboard with no fringing, dithering or banding.

Allan

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    1:1 mapping is about not having the displays internal scaler engaged. If you are using digital keystone then its engaged anyway, if not, that is a good way to test the 1:1 mapping. i.e. do you see a big difference when you use a little keystone? Running at native resolution is no guarantee.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There's a link in the FAQ to a test screen to see if you've got 1:1 pixel match.

This is a link to download the Nokia Test Screen suite - it also has paterns whch will moire badly if you're not getting a 1:1 pixel match. I've added it to the FAQ.

Sean G.

6. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys.

KraGorn, one of the reasons for asking the question is it seemed a lot of people had a big problem getting 1:1 (I think you featured heavily in some threads I read) I must be lucky, just pressed a button or two and there it was :D Thanks for confirmation anyway.

I dont use any keystone and see no evidence of fringing, dithering or banding on desktop and I can see the pixel stucture you talk of.

theritz, thanks for that exellent link, everything looks good with the test screen except for the geometry due the walls not being straight. This was very usefull in lineing up the PJ.

With just a couple of teething probs with my new build PC, it seems Ive got the best out of my equipment that I can... and as I said before, its pretty dam good :smashin:

Chipster.

PS If you come back to this thread, could you tell me if I really need the ATI control panel and why? (it is currently not installed but I still got d720p prior to its removal before I updated drivers) I asked this question in HCPC but as yet have not had a reply.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The relationship between 720p and Control Panel seems to be one of life's great mysteries. :D The problems people had were managing to get the magic 1280x720 available as a resolution and/or getting it to stick, to that extent CP didn't really help I think so much as hinder.

CP is useful/necessary if you use two or more outputs, selecting monitor combinations and priorities, it also allows you to twiddle with the overlay colours etc. Ultimately it is useful in some situations but generally a 'set and forget' type thing.

8. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I did have a go at setting up two monitors PJ and CRT but just gave up in the end.. what a nightmare, resolution wouldent stick, lost my desktop, primary or secondary:confused: I'm not stupid by any means and really tried to get a handle on it, reading carefully the instructions but to no avail. It should be so easy shouldent it???

I might try again one day as it would be really usefull but untill then I think I will just let things stay where they are.

Next one to work out is getting TV from sky box with best PQ

Thanks.

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I utterly failed to get dual-head operation, ie. two independent displays, for a long time .. finally managed it, desktop on 1 and DVD playing on 2 and found it a pain to use the monitor and projector at the same time, so after all that hard work went back to just projector.

You're right, it's bl00dy hard work to achieve something that should be intuitive and mindless. :)