1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z2 Screen - Matt white or grey?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by markbro, Dec 12, 2003.

1. markbro

markbro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have gone the diy fixed screen route 87" with white blackout lining. I was wondering what others are using with their Z2s in the same position, white or icestorm grey? I presume painted lining could provide a smoother surface i.e. the weave/fabric pattern wouldn't be visible.:)

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I used blackout material with my Z2 and the colours, black in particular, looked washed out. Reading these forums i think its because i have a cream ceiling and cream wall above the picture rails which is causing the light to reflect back onto the screen.
    I have since i.e last week painted it icestorm grey, mixed 5 & 6 together and the problem has now gone and the picture does look solid, it is even watchable with some ambient light i,e during the daytimes at weekends.

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    It may also depend on your room, the only reason i painted mine grey was because it looked washed out, if you have dark walls and a dark environment then you should be okay with white. The good thing about the diy route is that because it is so cheap you can experiment.

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have white walls and with my Z1 I preferred the brighter image and cleaner colours of a Matte White screen. There was a noticable difference in black levels of the screens I tested depending on what backing they had: none, white or Black backing to them. Black being the best.

5. markbro

markbro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Inzaman, did you add PVA to the paint or just apply it from can. Just wondering incase it might crack over time. My ceiling is matt white, walls a terracotta->burgundy.

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I didnt add any pva just two coats of emulsion, i have a fixed screen so am not rolling it up. I imagine over time it may crack if that is a charicteristic but by then i may have a 'proper' screen

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The black levels i have so far experienced with the Z2 suggest that a dark grey screen might well be best..... i have a light grey and am not yet satisfied with the blacks. I guess much depends whther you care more for a bright image or one with better blacks (i wont say good cos this just isnt possible!)

ad