1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z2 queeries(again)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Synchronicity, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Ok,due to all the z2 threads atm I suspect I could probably find the answers to my questions if I searched hard enough but I am getting a bit confused and overwhelmed by my journey into pj land,(I wish it was as easy as plugging in my old crt:confused: )

I think the only things that I need to know are what cable will I need to connect xbox to pj , what is the best material to use for a diy screen , blackout material for blocking out that pesky light; and where is the best place to get them?

Ive also read about people using some sort of lens filters,will I need to get anything like this?Sorry if Im being repetetive or asking super noob questions but I just want to **** up as little as possible and get down with some happy viewing.
    Cheers:smashin:

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jason,

Im not sure on the cable front for the xbox, i will leave that to someone else.

Best material is rather dependent upon how much you want to spend. I used sort of rubber backed blackout material and painted it repeatedly with icestorm paint. Others are looking at dhr matt white screen material, more have made screen using material from harkness hall. Those are listed in terms of rising cost. Where to get them, well blackout material from a material shop or the screen materials from the screen manufacturer directly.

Filters........ we dont know yet

ad

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You could use a component video cable to hook up your xbox...... have a look at this sit for a variety of xbox -> av leads. If your av receiver is limited to Svideo switching, then you could get an Svideo xbox lead, hook your xob into your receiver, hook your dvd player into your receiver and connect Svideo out of the receiver to the projector. If the receiver does component video switching (or Svideo -> component up-convert, like some Denons, then you should connect using Component Video, as that's the best available. If you intend to use a HCPC, then you're into a different league........

There's a link in the FAQ about making home-made screens.... all you want to know really....

Sean G.

4. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Ok,I didnt think it was possible but you have succeeded in making me feel more stupid:suicide: what receiver are you talking about?Treat me like a 10 year old please!Cheers:confused:

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Sorry - no intention to "talk down" to you.........................

An AV Receiver, or AV amp..... used for geting dolby digital sound from your dvd player to your speakers ... ? I hope you know what this is........

Most AV Receivers have the ability to "switch" Svideo signals - i.e. you can plug in an Svideo lead from your dvd player and Sky Box and PS2/Xbox, and a single output lead from the AV Receiver to your Projector/display device. Now, when you select "dvd" or SKY" or PS2 or whatever on the Receiver, you get the appropriate device on your display as well as through your speakers.

Hope this explains what I meant a bit better......... The Pic below
    shows the rear of a Denon 1803 - you can clearly see the Svideo inputs and the one marked "out" - similarly with the Component video - 2 in , one out.

[​IMG]

Other amps/receivers have similar arrangements - although some don't do component video switching.

All the best,

Sean G.

6. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    aaahhh,right it all makes sense now,sorry for being thick:blush: Im gonna be getting a Yamaha amp(or reciever;) )I didnt realise I could plug the video conenctions into it as well,thought it was just audio;I told you I was a noob!

Thanks a lot for the help,lol,wait til I actually get the pj,then Ill really start pestering you:clap:

7. rnoble

rnoble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most will switch svideo and composite.

Beware though, on most amps you can't plug something in with Svideo and get something out on the component out. They won't switch svideo to component.

Just want to make sure you know about this before getting let down in setup at home.

(The brand new denons are capable of this, lower end yamaha's aren't, something to consider when buying)

8. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Or you could go with switching at the pj end, which is what I'm going to do as it works out cheaper.

Feed a set of component leads from the DVD player, another set of leads from the Xbox to the DVI connector on the PJ. You should then be able to switch source with the PJ remote.
    The problem with this is getting hold of the DVI-I cables as they are pretty scarce.

9. Joeki

Joeki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I use the Denon as a switching and volume control by connecting it to the inputs on my pre-amp for sound and video in/out to Tv and PJ?